Weezer songs seem to quote other Weezer songs pretty frequently.  For example, Tragic Girl references Butterfly, and Longtime Sunshine references Why Bother?  What's your favorite Weezer self-reference? 

Tags: self-reference

Views: 118

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

fluck [kittenž (j.biebž)] said:

please explain how the song the song "troublemaker" references the song "slob."

Cladeedah said:

On second thought, don't go buy a dictionary.  I wouldn't want your one source of pride in this world to disappear.  Go ahead and hold onto that.  Make sure you put it on your gravestone.  

Don't forget trainwrecks!

please explain how the song the song "troublemaker" references the song "slob."

Cladeedah said:

On second thought, don't go buy a dictionary.  I wouldn't want your one source of pride in this world to disappear.  Go ahead and hold onto that.  Make sure you put it on your gravestone.  

smh......seriously? a reference is when you mention a previous work of art, not when you use the same words from a certain work of art. You are saying because one song has the very common phrase "across the sea" that Rivers is alluding to his song "across the sea". That is a stretch MR. Fantastic couldn't make. A GOOD example of a reference in a song is the Led Zeppelin song "Ramble On" which mentions Gollum and Mordor. That is a CLEAR reference to The Lord Of The Rings. Also, these people wouldn't be so rude if you admitted you are wrong, I mean seriously, this is 3rd grade s***.

Are you really getting upset over this? If so, you are the funniest of all. You know these other kids just like to cause chaos and disorder on the board, and they don't really believe what they're saying, right? Ok, how about I agree with your ridiculous proposition that no Weezer songs ever reference other Weezer songs or past lyrics or anything. They're all coincidences. Only you truly know what was in Rivers' heart when he wrote those songs, and you have spoken. Sorry to have disagreed with you and made you so upset. 

bleedgoldandwhite21 said:

smh......seriously? a reference is when you mention a previous work of art, not when you use the same words from a certain work of art. You are saying because one song has the very common phrase "across the sea" that Rivers is alluding to his song "across the sea". That is a stretch MR. Fantastic couldn't make. A GOOD example of a reference in a song is the Led Zeppelin song "Ramble On" which mentions Gollum and Mordor. That is a CLEAR reference to The Lord Of The Rings. Also, these people wouldn't be so rude if you admitted you are wrong, I mean seriously, this is 3rd grade s***.

uh, no i most definitely believe that you don't know what the fluck you're talking about when it comes to the meaning of the word reference.

now tell me how "troublemaker" references "slob."

Cladeedah said:

they don't really believe what they're saying, right? 
Uh-huh. Well the definition of "reference" is of MAJOR importance in this day and age. And I mean, it's not like you can just pick up a dictionary and figure out what it means. You pretty much have to go on Weezer.com and spend all day coming up with your own definitions. But it's not like it's pointless or anything. Keep going. Engaging in witty expletive-laced banter with CLEARLY sophisticated 13-year-olds all day on Weezer.com is the only way this question is going to be answered once and for all.  Honestly, I don't even care about Weezer or their lyrics. I was just hoping someone would explain this hopelessly complicated definition for me. Thanks you guys. Seriously. You're the coolest. :)

uh, no i most definitely believe that you don't know what the fluck you're talking about when it comes to the meaning of the word reference.

Cladeedah said:

they don't really believe what they're saying, right? 
i'm beginning to think you can't.

"You Won't Get With Me Tonight"'s beginning is [somewhat] the same as "Who You Callin' B****"?
YOU GO GURL.

Cladeedah said:
Uh-huh. Well the definition of "reference" is of MAJOR importance in this day and age. And I mean, it's not like you can just pick up a dictionary and figure out what it means. You pretty much have to go on Weezer.com and spend all day coming up with your own definitions. But it's not like it's pointless or anything. Keep going. Engaging in witty expletive-laced banter with CLEARLY sophisticated 13-year-olds all day on Weezer.com is the only way this question is going to be answered once and for all.  Honestly, I don't even care about Weezer or their lyrics. I was just hoping someone would explain this hopelessly complicated definition for me. Thanks you guys. Seriously. You're the coolest. :)

correct, because "who you callin' b****" was derived from "you won't get with me tonight."

they both reference the moment in "blast off" when maria is called a b****.

good job.

SubwayWolf said:

"You Won't Get With Me Tonight"'s beginning is [somewhat] the same as "Who You Callin' B****"?
I already told you. I'm only interested in the definition of "reference."  If you could explain it one more time, that would be GREAT. :) Well, that & getting this thread to trend for like a couple of weeks. #MissionsAccomplished #ThanksUGuys #ArmyofBabies #ThatWasNotAWeezerReference

i'm beginning to think you can't.

missions accomplished?

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…