Scott and Rivers: Homely Girl (Rivers' japanese album w/ Scott Murphy)

Since some time ago Rivers Cuomo started working on a j-pop album along with Allister's Scott Murphy, at first it was supposed to be a Rivers' solo album (The Kumamoto Kid), but it turned to be an album by both musicians, Scott and Rivers.

He just posted this new song on his japanese twitter, it sounds great.

Tags: Cuomo, Girl, Homely, Japan, Kid, Kumamoto, Murphy, Rivers, Scott, The

Views: 4020

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really enjoy this stuff more when it's not called Weezer and it's not in English.

I like the song okay enough, but the production/mix lacks a certain punch to me. It still sounds kind of "cheap" like Hurley did. Maybe that's just "over producing," I would like to be able to hear that bass line that does it's little run every once in awhile louder in the mix... The guitar intro riff always seemed kind of weak to me from the get-go, I was hoping in the recorded version it wouldn't be. I dunno. I really like the post-bridge part where the bass is kind of leading and Rivers is whispering a little and all that.

Is that part in japanese "Perfect 10 = not for me" ...

I really like it, its really catchy and the production of it reminds me of a blend of Hurley and Raditude.

Which = horrible production, imo

Red sounds a million times better.

Hugh Lovric said:

I really like it, its really catchy and the production of it reminds me of a blend of Hurley and Raditude.

I have no good excuse for why I did this, I was just bored enough and interested enough to see if I could. I very very roughly translated the lyrics by finding the definitions to the various words (as transcribed from there kanji, so you can't just put it in a translator without the original kanji) and trying to figure out the sentences. This is a general idea of what he is singing about.

God gave me because

this body is my heart

Everyone else is not exactly right

She is also not exactly right

(Something about)

My nose is big, her's is short

Our eyes don't meet, she's taller and I am 5ft 8

She's cute but not cute

I'm the manservant of her love

I love, love, love my homely girl

She just knocks me to the ground

you have a smiling face

that is like sunshine

She just turns me inside out

Even though I can't say you're a perfect 10

you're the woman that I want

Everyday I was a rock star

And I could buy everything

(it was) Gorgeous, but no means of attaining happiness

(i need?) a pretty flower and a mate (female partner) ???

But When I realized I ought to/should

Consider you No. 1/the best and cherish you and

Put happiness first, because it is more important

God locked you in (or maybe God/spirits sent you to me)

Wow, oh!

you have a smiling face

that is like sunshine

You're no perfect 10 and etc.

but I don't want anyone else

(bridge)

(kagami means mirror, but I think here it means town?

I think he is basically saying even though we were far apart let's be together)

Kagami with busy people ???

but still there is not a length/space between

So what?! Let's be together.

you have a smiling face

that is like sunshine

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

Which = horrible production, imo

Red sounds a million times better.

Hugh Lovric said:

Actually now that I think about it "our eyes don't meet" was probably meant as "we don't see eye to eye."

In his defense I would imagine it being incredibly hard to write with the metre your non-native language, then also use the same words in the correct number of syllables and in the same metre in your native language.  The language hurdle itself is a stark challenge for collaborating artists.  Had this been a solo project I think the story may have turned different. 

Thank you for being bored and interested enough to translate it  

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

I have no good excuse for why I did this, I was just bored enough and interested enough to see if I could. I very very roughly translated the lyrics by finding the definitions to the various words (as transcribed from there kanji, so you can't just put it in a translator without the original kanji) and trying to figure out the sentences. This is a general idea of what he is singing about.

Its super catchy (not boring) and yea its "Jpop" but still has that weezer sound... I think its awesome just listening to it and not trying to break it down, analyze production, (insert musician jargon here), ( Insert more music jargon), (etc. etc.)

But I also wouldn't care if rivers wrote with justin bieber or taylor swift or whoever as long as he wrote something good......

Might not be to your taste but it is still a great song and super catchy and will agree to disagree..... 

WeezerIsBack (Lewis) said:

It just bores me that a 42 year old would be writing and singing something like this. Makes everyone wonder how long it'll take for Rivers to write for Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift. I want the person who made Blue, Pinkerton and Red so worthwhile not some crappy pop stuff. 

This isn't Weezer! For all we know we should be happy that Rivers has a project he can get rid of all his "Pop Wiggles" with so he can make "Weezer" Weezer again. Julian Casablancas played on the new Ke$ha record, that doesn't mean Angles or the next album is or will be bad.

but angles was already bad.

Indierocks said:

This isn't Weezer! For all we know we should be happy that Rivers has a project he can get rid of all his "Pop Wiggles" with so he can make "Weezer" Weezer again. Julian Casablancas played on the new Ke$ha record, that doesn't mean Angles or the next album is or will be bad.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video