Scott and Rivers: Homely Girl (Rivers' japanese album w/ Scott Murphy)

Since some time ago Rivers Cuomo started working on a j-pop album along with Allister's Scott Murphy, at first it was supposed to be a Rivers' solo album (The Kumamoto Kid), but it turned to be an album by both musicians, Scott and Rivers.

He just posted this new song on his japanese twitter, it sounds great.

Tags: Cuomo, Girl, Homely, Japan, Kid, Kumamoto, Murphy, Rivers, Scott, The

Views: 4025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's true, this is not really indicative of what the next Weezer record will sound like.  But just in case, I still want to voice my unhappiness with the sound of the production on this track. ;)  Most of these songs were also written as far ago as 2009/2010 anyway so they are kind of relics of the Rad/Hurley era anyway... again not indicative of what is next for Weezer and what kinds of Weezer songs Rivers might be writing now.

what is this, a watered-down No Other One ? 

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

I have no good excuse for why I did this, I was just bored enough and interested enough to see if I could. I very very roughly translated the lyrics by finding the definitions to the various words (as transcribed from there kanji, so you can't just put it in a translator without the original kanji) and trying to figure out the sentences. This is a general idea of what he is singing about.

God gave me because

this body is my heart

Everyone else is not exactly right

She is also not exactly right

(Something about)

My nose is big, her's is short

Our eyes don't meet, she's taller and I am 5ft 8

She's cute but not cute

I'm the manservant of her love

I love, love, love my homely girl

She just knocks me to the ground

you have a smiling face

that is like sunshine

She just turns me inside out

Even though I can't say you're a perfect 10

you're the woman that I want

Everyday I was a rock star

And I could buy everything

(it was) Gorgeous, but no means of attaining happiness

(i need?) a pretty flower and a mate (female partner) ???

But When I realized I ought to/should

Consider you No. 1/the best and cherish you and

Put happiness first, because it is more important

God locked you in (or maybe God/spirits sent you to me)

Wow, oh!

you have a smiling face

that is like sunshine

You're no perfect 10 and etc.

but I don't want anyone else

(bridge)

(kagami means mirror, but I think here it means town?

I think he is basically saying even though we were far apart let's be together)

Kagami with busy people ???

but still there is not a length/space between

So what?! Let's be together.

you have a smiling face

that is like sunshine

Angles was not bad! I'll go ahead and say FIOE was but that's it.

'yes people' don't tell you what to do. they just agree with anything you say, even when it's a bad idea/completely wrong. 

WeezerIsBack (Lewis) said:

Never would I say this before but I think that anything that Pat, Brian and Scott wrote beforehand and in the future would top this. Rivers has too many yes people in his camp telling him what to do and how to do it. Rivers should be writing songs from a 42 year old's persceptive not writing to teenyboppers. Instead of going forward with his music it seems he has gone backwards with it which isn't very good at this stage in time. If Rivers wants to alienate the Weezer fan base by writing songs suited for Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and One Direction then it's his option in doing so but I don't think that in the long run he'll have much success in doing it (think Raditude (except for If You're Wondering) when you come around to it). He seems like he's in a mid-life crisis with his music. Where is that Great American Songbook that Rivers was talking about in interviews?

Jumpin on the floor (natkat) said:

Its super catchy (not boring) and yea its "Jpop" but still has that weezer sound... I think its awesome just listening to it and not trying to break it down, analyze production, (insert musician jargon here), ( Insert more music jargon), (etc. etc.)

But I also wouldn't care if rivers wrote with justin bieber or taylor swift or whoever as long as he wrote something good......

Might not be to your taste but it is still a great song and super catchy and will agree to disagree..... 

It just bores me that a 42 year old would be writing and singing something like this. Makes everyone wonder how long it'll take for Rivers to write for Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift. I want the person who made Blue, Pinkerton and Red so worthwhile not some crappy pop stuff. 

Assuming (well not really assuming but I thought it would be a nicer way to phrase this) you don't know Rivers personally, then you can't say for certain that this isn't the "real" Rivers.

I'd rather have the real Rivers than a phony Rivers.

Rivers is a real person. Therefore he is the real Rivers. He can do what he wants. I enjoy this.

Agreed @Miles ^^^^^

I don't understand all the hate for the dude. Anyone who's even using this site means he's wrote something that's touched you emotionally. Maybe he didn't like it like the people using this site did, maybe he's just trying his hand at something new. It's his life, and who are we to judge that. I personally love ever Weezer album in it's own way. I'm not gonna listen to Raditude for a strong emotional connection, and I'm not gonna listen to Pinkerton to have fun, bouncy chorus' stuck in my head. 

That being said, Jpop is silly and poppy, this is exactly that and Scott & Rivers have put their own spin on it. I will praise Rivers for accomplishing his goals because he's as human as we all are. 

Okay, but that's just like your opinion man. He's a 42 year old man and can do what he wants. If he feels like a teenager and writes songs about it then cool. He's happy!

It's the fact that it was written by a middle aged man is what bothers me. Here Rivers supposedly has this Great American Songbook that he has written and has hundreds of binders of his work to show for it but then he doesn't use those songs and instead tries writing what appears to be songs suitable for Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and One Direction and this coming from a middle aged man who once upon a time wrote great songs like Buddy Holly, Only In Dreams, Butterfly, Say It Ain't So, etc. How many 42 year old people do you know who writes stuff like this or would sing something like this? Rivers should be writing for his own age group and not people who are teenagers and a whole bunch of screamers. And I don't think that Rivers has had a lost childhood otherwise why would he stoop to writing dreck like this.

And wouldn't it be fun 20 years from now to hear Bieber and Swift sing their songs to an audience if they're still popular that is? I don't think that it would fly for middle aged people to sing "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" or "Baby Baby"

Well let's be fair, judging from what we know of the lyrics, it appears like it's similar to the lyrics of "devotion" in terms of how it is written.  You can't just literally translate japanese either, you have to kind of re-word it in your own words to make it make sense anyway because one symbol/kanji/whatever can mean multiple things, like one can mean tall, long, big.  So it's hard to really say how "cheesy" the lyrics may be.  The whole first verse seems to be akin to something from devotion "I'm no six-foot hot look all american man."  Lewis does have a point about some of the things Rivers has released, like his collaborations... HIgh maintenance for example which I think has an excellent melody but the pop production and the lyrics combined with it being a duet with a girl wayyyy too young make it seem inappropriate for his age.  This is just kind of a weirder sounding devotion.

The music part itself is more in-line with the pop crowd but in Japan that's what is big so it makes more sense and it doesn't personally bother me since this is a side-project geared towards that demographic.  Plus, if you heard the other songs he practiced on Ustream before you know they're less poppy sounding.  One of the songs even lifts the riff from one of Rivers' older songs "Saturday Night."  So I mean, I take it there are various flavors of sounds on the record and this just happens to be the most pop directed.

Either way I don't think it's anything to worry about regarding next Weezer.  It's not Weezer.  Keep that in mind.  It's just a Rivers solo thing and it's geared towards J-pop anyway. 

Hi. I tried translating the lyrics. My English is not perfect but I think it's close enough.

---------

God gave us our bodies and souls(hearts)
everyone is different 
She and you are also different
Long nose short nose
Big eyes small eyes
Cute or not cute
I like YOU nonetheless 

Your smile is just like the sun

Doesn't matter if you're not a perfect ten
I want you to be yourself 

Became a rock star he'd always longed to be
He can have everything 
Gorgeous house and cars
Even a pretty girlfriend 
But he'll realize soon enough
That those ordinary but happy days are the most important thing

Your smile is just like the sun

Doesn't matter if you're not a perfect ten
I want you to be yourself 

(chorus)

Melodies in my heart

(chorus)

I don't want "perfect 10" you
Look in the mirror
No one is perfect
So let's (be together)

----------------------------

It sounds like he's talking about his wife.
So despite the poppiness of the music I wouldn't say that the lyrics are inappropriate for his age.
I'm no expert on J-pop but it sounds rather outdated. But the comments by the Japanese people on Youtube seem very positive.

Personally I'm looking forward to this jpop album and I think it's a really cool song, I don't understand why people keeps complaining about Rivers' late songs, he can't write Pinkerton/Blue again and again for the rest of his life, and like the other folks said, this isn't a Weezer release, so then enjoy the music that Rivers is bringing to us through his projects.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video