I have completely lost interest in new weezer. From green album on they make the most simplest, generic songs. Rivers Cuomo threw all the talent he had away. Storing it somewhere else and rarely bringing it out. The new weezer sound is no where near the same. After making wanda for the movie angus, the producers wanted a more poppy song. So Rivers made you gave your love to me softly. Rivers said he wouldn't try to make a pop song to please others again. Now thats all he does. Songs with Miranda Cosgrove. Earthquauky people. Come on Rivers. From blue and pinkerton, I can listen to every song and they have such a close meaning to me. But on all the other albums i can only pick out a couple, if any. Weezer has put out some enjoyable stuff over the years and it's great to see them peform their old hits. But the sound thier going for is not good. Why does rivers want to find help to write his lyrics. All the lyrics i hear featuring another artist sound terrible. I love weezer but it's hard to see them like this. Why Weezer? Why?

Views: 1452

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

why bother
I completey disagree with you, I think that all their new stuff is amazing, The Green album is my favourite record of all time and I love how they are always changing their music.

Rivers didn't write the song "You Gave Your Love..." for Angus. It was a more typical Weezer song which he had already written prior.

He's not just getting help with lyrics... they're collaborating. Contributing musical as well as lyrical ideas. I do agree that that needs to stop and, as far as I know, the last interview Rivers did had him saying that Weezer was done with co-writes.

"The most simplest, generic songs."

Do you have a link to this interview? 

Gohi said:

Rivers didn't write the song "You Gave Your Love..." for Angus. It was a more typical Weezer song which he had already written prior.

He's not just getting help with lyrics... they're collaborating. Contributing musical as well as lyrical ideas. I do agree that that needs to stop and, as far as I know, the last interview Rivers did had him saying that Weezer was done with co-writes.

"The most simplest, generic songs."

i'd like to see that article too, Gohi
I aim to please.

Thanks for posting the interview!  Rivers has come SUCH a long way.  He can actually look people in the eye now. 

I am really fond of the first two albums.  I love them.  But I find songs from the new albums that I like as well. 

You know, I was thinking about this on the way home today, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this topic. I don't know why it bothers me so much, except that maybe I know that Rivers is capable of so much more. In the liner notes to Alone (I or II, I can't remember) Rivers mentions wanting to be a composer, and not wanting write 3 minute pop songs any more. He also says that 1000 "Keep Fishin's" will never equal one "Say It Ain't So," and that that was the kind of song he needed to write, that he needed to remind people what real music was or something significant like that (I'm quoting from memory, but I think I have the gist of it.) What changed? How is this not selling his talent short? How is this not giving up on a dream? This pop culture nonsense doesn't mean anything. It's banal and uninspiring. He's good at it, but what does it matter to anyone? 

Rivers is one of my heroes. I find a lot of inspiration from his story, and it's a little discouraging to think that Hurley is how it ends. What is it that makes someone go from Pinkerton to "Earthquakey People?" (By the way, my sister listens to all that techno/trance/house music stuff, and even she thinks that Steve Aoki is mediocre at best.) Money? Age? Boredom? Fear? I can't wrap my mind around it. Am I going to burn out one day and just give up on everything that I wanted? What happened? It drives me crazy not to know. 

By the way, I'm really not interested in debating the merits of "old Weezer" vs "new Weezer." You either get it, or you don't. We can all save a lot of time and energy if we just stick to the discussion at hand--the WHY of it all, and not whether or not you agree that "old Weezer" is better music. For the record, I do like some of the "new Weezer," but I've been itching for another album like Pinkerton for a long time now. 

Okay, so I did a little thinking, and a little listening to "new Weezer," and I can definitely hear elements of greatness, but none of it seems to come together quite like Pinkerton. (For instance, Hang On is undeniably catchy, Losing My Mind is confessional, Unspoken is sort of genius.) So, take that for what you will. What is the missing element? Would the new albums have been just as good if he'd spent the time and energy on them that he spent on Pinkerton and Blue?

I would love to see another Blue Album. I have been listening to it a lot lately. It is just pure magic with a cup of happiness! Strange way to explain it but that is all I could think of at the time. Even though I find a lot of there stuff now good and fun to listen to, I think it would be cool to get more songs like My Name Is Jonas, Buddy Holly, and Say It Aint So. Even an album like Green would be a cool one to repeat. I love Island in the Sun and Don't Let Go. It is more happy but not too poppy.

And I am also confused with the whole Earthquaky People. I thought it was awesome when Rivers did Magic, it was alright when he did High Maintenance, I started getting worried when he did Can't Keep My Hands Off You, and this song made me say "What the CUSS is going on?!" I am just confused... But it is funny seeing an older dude like him being "hip" and "cool". Haha!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video