I decided since it seems to be becoming a big topic in the God Debate discussion that I would make a discussion for people to ask questions about what members of the LDS Church believe. I will try my hardest to answer the questions.

Seriously, any question at all.

Views: 654

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't this comment has much validity.  A mother will always be over her son...unless there is some religion out there that thinks differently.  Spider is talking about the Paternal culture that is in the Mormon religion.  Men make decisions, woman have babies to make more men to make decisions.

I've noticed that a lot of Mormons are nice people, but it's the extremists values that make it so awkward.  I can understand how this isn't weird to you, because it's all you've ever known, but try and take a step outside of yourself/family/community and see how others interpret what LDS does and stands for.

Prop 8 in California was funded by LDS.  So much for not forcing the LDS values on others.

I don't really have a point here, I just hope you can someday look in on LDS, rather than always be looking out from inside.

America said:

Well clearly that's objective as in my experience the MAJORITY of people in the LDS religion are fine and Dandy people who go out of their way to be helpful. And please good sir, tell my mother I am her master, because i would really like more cookies for breakfast.br/>

SpiderInTheDrain said:

No, not a "few people." The MAJORITY of people in the LDS church are douche bags. I know because I was one of them. The culture as a whole is so damaging, especially to women. Men have all the power, women are subservient baby-makers.

But that's true of religion in general - all it does in my mind is create a way for people to demonstrate their prejudices and exclude others simply because god said they could. Which is why I'm agnostic and will never return to religion again.

America said:

so a few people are douche bags about it, how does that disqualiffy the religon? OK then ALL religions are disqualified, especially athiests. And im sorry if my choice of verbage offended you, you did in fact "leave" the church instead of fall away.

Nobody's getting kicked out of heaven if they are a good person just because they believe in the "wrong" God.

Being "fine and dandy and going out of their way to be helpful" doesn't mean they don't judge others who aren't members of their faith.

And I wasn't speaking about parent/child relationships, but I'm sure you knew that. Women in the church have so much pressure on their shoulders and the men for the most part are completely oblivious. Make babies. Clean the house. Do the laundry. Get your food storage together. Go to church. Have family home evening. Do family history. Wash the dishes. Change diapers. Visit teach. Go to enrichment night. Magnify your calling. Serve your neighbors. Read your scriptures. Have personal/couples/family prayer. Oh, your husband just had a revelation that you should have another baby? Well then do that too!

When it comes down to brass tacks, the biggest issues I have with the LDS church are that women are oppressed, women can't hold the priesthood, and the church breeds hate against those who aren't like them, especially the LGBT community. Guess that whole "let them worship how, where, or what they may" line comes with a clause - "..so long as they believe what we do." It's complete b*******. Sad that most Christians aren't very Christ-like.

America said:

Well clearly that's objective as in my experience the MAJORITY of people in the LDS religion are fine and Dandy people who go out of their way to be helpful. And please good sir, tell my mother I am her master, because i would really like more cookies for breakfast.br/>

SpiderInTheDrain said:

No, not a "few people." The MAJORITY of people in the LDS church are douche bags. I know because I was one of them. The culture as a whole is so damaging, especially to women. Men have all the power, women are subservient baby-makers.

But that's true of religion in general - all it does in my mind is create a way for people to demonstrate their prejudices and exclude others simply because god said they could. Which is why I'm agnostic and will never return to religion again.

America said:

so a few people are douche bags about it, how does that disqualiffy the religon? OK then ALL religions are disqualified, especially athiests. And im sorry if my choice of verbage offended you, you did in fact "leave" the church instead of fall away.

SpiderInTheDrain said:

I didn't "fall away," m'kay? I LEFT the church because it makes no f****** sense. And I'm sorry if I've got a bad attitude about this whole topic, but I'm sick and tired of the holier-than-thou attitude that so many LDS members have. I live in one of the most heavily LDS-populated cities in the world and I am judged on almost a daily basis because of the choices I've made. None of my old friends speak to me anymore simply because I don't believe in their religion anymore, half of my family has disowned me, none of my neighbors speak to me, and I'm afraid to answer my front door because I'm constantly harassed by the bishopric and missionaries. There is so much hypocrisy in the LDS church that I can't just sit back and listen to people babble on and on about how they "know" the church is true when it's members (in general) breed nothing but ignorance and prejudice. 

America said:

well we must have done something truly terrilbe to you to make you have such distatse of us and fall away from the church. I assume since you claim to know so much you we're at the very least raised mormon .

SpiderInTheDrain said:

That question makes no sense so I have no idea how to answer it.

America said:

Did we frame you or something?

SpiderInTheDrain said:

Oh good, I'm so glad the spirit has testified to you that getting married in the temple is the right thing to do. Just keep telling yourself that when you're in the middle of the endowment session and all you can think is, "Wow, this is really freaky s***." If you're weirded out at all just keep going back again and again so that it seems less weird. And if after going back several times it STILL seems strange in any way, it's just because you're not righteous enough. Pray that you'll be more receptive to the messages being sent to you in the temple and continue trying your hardest to convince yourself that you're a member of the one true church on earth. 'Cause y'know, sometimes God wants you to feel humiliated and uncomfortable. Especially in his house. *thumbs up*

PUPPIES! said:

Some people do think Garments are uncomfortable, yes. I don't know how they feel since I haven't yet (I'm not 19 yet). I'll get back to you on that one. Haha!

I don't need to actually have been married in the Temple to know that it is the right thing to do. I know it is, the spirit has testified of it to me, and my testimony will be forever strong of it.

And I know I don't know all the answers. That is why I still go to church. I want to learn. I don't, and probably will continue not to know all the answers to the questions asked. Some of the answers I have given I have asked my dad. We are sent on this earth to learn and I will continue to do so.

And, yes, there are people that do go to church and do the opposite of what they are taught. It is sad to see. Satan is one tricky man, and he knows it. I don't believe there are loopholes and corruption though.
And sorry if it feels like I am "pushing" this religion on you guys. That really wasn't my intention. Just based off the God Debate thread it seemed like some people were curious. Sorry.
SpiderInTheDrain said:

This thread is a load of s***.

Just to clear a few things up..

1. Garments are the OPPOSITE of comfortable. They're hot and uncomfortable and... what's the word I'm looking for... oh  yeah, WEIRD. F****** WEIRD.

2. Don't profess to believe and know something is true without having experienced what the entire religion entails (temple endowment ceremony, etc.).

3. You may feel like it's your duty to be a missionary and think that you know all the answers, but you don't. Your religion, as with every religion, is full of hypocrisies, loopholes, and corruption. If you believe it, great. But don't push it on anyone else.

(steps off soapbox)

I know this because MY god said so.

Ohdon't worry, the Mormons have worked that out too. You'll have a chance after you die to accept the LDS religion. 'Cause y'know, nobody's perfect.

hintofcoolness said:

Nobody's getting kicked out of heaven if they are a good person just because they believe in the "wrong" God.

I dunno if I will accept. Is the Mormon God hawt? Cuz mine looks like dis:

Yeah if I were you I'd just choose hell then. Looks like more fun anyway.

L'enfer, c'est les autres

also my God is against oppression of women and thinks they totally should be able to be part of the priesthood

I have pamphlets to hand out if anyone is interested

SpiderInTheDrain said:
Yeah if I were you I'd just choose hell then. Looks like more fun anyway.
but until they reach those gates, BANISH!

SpiderInTheDrain said:

Ohdon't worry, the Mormons have worked that out too. You'll have a chance after you die to accept the LDS religion. 'Cause y'know, nobody's perfect.

hintofcoolness said:

Damn straight!

But hey, I hear there's polygamy in heaven, so all you guys are totally set. *thumbs up*

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

but until they reach those gates, BANISH!

SpiderInTheDrain said:

hintofcoolness said:

Who do you think got to boink more, Joseph Smith or Brigham Young?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video