Memories is a really nice song. It's catchy, it's reminiscent of Pinkerton (a bit...in the bridge),  and it's amazing live (w/ Pat's little solo).

Clearly, though, it's not selling Hurley nor is it doing well at radio. It's had a high profile performance, tons of virial promo, and it's not doing much for the record. This has nothing to do with Weezer not having the same funding under Epitaph - it has to do with the fact that people aren't connecting with the song.

Weezer has never had a debut single not go Top 10 on Modern Rock radio. It's been sitting in the Top 20 bulletless or almost bulletless for weeks, despite all the promo.

Old fans deserted by the last few records need to hear this new stuff so they will buy it. 

"Ruling Me" is easily the most radio-friendly Weezer single...maybe ever. Not only does it have that classic crunch, but the chorus is so damn catchy that even Pop radio would love it. It'll have no problem zooming up the Modern Rock charts all the way to number one, and other formats will follow after. I'm sure the video would be great, too - esp. if you guys are creative ("Buddy Holly," "Pork and Beans")...be nerdy factory workers or something, then go with the lunch room idea. 

Regardless, Ruling Me needs to be released SOON - as in...NOW. That way you guys can bank on Holiday sales, old fans will now Weezer is BACK, and everyone can enjoy the glorious Ruling Me, which will pave the way for something like "Hang On." 

Side note: Like "Keep Fishin'," and "Perfect Situation," and all the Pinkerton singles, you guys need to go in and make a new mix! The clipping must've been a mistake, but other than that, it sounds like a Blue song, so mix it like Blue (the same way Red was mixed)! There's way too much compression. Make the intro build up more (without making it longer), keep the crunch, make the drums cleaner, and maybe do a synth line in the chorus over the lead guitar.

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey dude.

its not 1995.

get over it.

BackToSchool said:
Dude...the "old fans" are mostly not fooled by "Ruling Me". Weezer is not "BACK". It's the same old Weezer from the last ten years with some yelling and screaming. It resembles the old stuff superficially at most.
I'm an old fan and I think Ruling Me is great. It doesn't necessarily remind me of old Weezer, but why is that a prerequisite for it being a good song?
exactly

WZA said:
I'm an old fan and I think Ruling Me is great. It doesn't necessarily remind me of old Weezer, but why is that a prerequisite for it being a good song?
Ruling Me is pretty good, but it's not the best song on the album.

Honestly, I think Brave New World would make a good single. Unspoken is my favorite on the album, but it doesn't seem like a "radio" type song (even though I would rawk out to it in my car if it came on).
Oh hey, thanks for the update, moron.

Read the initial post in this thread and you'll see why I said what I said. Either way, whether it's 1995 or 2010, Hurley still sucks.

Danny Herrmann said:
hey dude.

its not 1995.

get over it.

BackToSchool said:
Dude...the "old fans" are mostly not fooled by "Ruling Me". Weezer is not "BACK". It's the same old Weezer from the last ten years with some yelling and screaming. It resembles the old stuff superficially at most.
Probably the most radio friendly on Hurley, but it's not the best.
uh... what?
I think Ruling Me would perform really well on the stations. But I also think Hang On would too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video