Rivers' Bad Attitude at VIP- Roseland NYC (Pinkerton Night)

I just wanted to see if anyone else got this "Bad Attitude" vibe from Rivers on pinkerton night of Roseland VIP ... when we got to hang with the band for 15min

So I walk up to each member: Brian, Scott, and Pat, and they all seem extremely nice and more than happy to sign stuff and take pictures with anyone....I snag photos with them and then I walk over to rivers and I hear him saying he wasn't signing anything, cause he wanted to talk to everyone.  Then I go up to him and I ask him very nicely if he wouldn't mind taking a picture with me, and he says yeah, but immediately turns away and talks to a girl ....So I was respectful and  waited for him to finish up his chat with her, and at point I thought he was done talking with her, and I ask again nicely about taking a picture with me. he then got very annoyed at me, saying that he doesn't want to waste time taking pictures, he just wants to talk to people,(in the time he told me he didn't want to waste time with a picture we could have taking a picture!!!!) and then he says to me that he was still talking to that girl ... and of course I did not realize this, and I even said I'm really sorry, it was very rude of me to interrupt..... after awhile I somehow get into a conversation with rivers and it seemed somewhat genuine, and i tell him that his music helped  me out through some hard times, and he looked at me like I was crazy, and he changed the subject and asked me if I was a musician... Don't get me wrong I respect Rivers a lot, but he honestly made me feel like s***, like I was asking the world of him, and I know we got a picture with the full band afterwords, but I really wanted a  picture with just me and rivers, and that really would have meant a lot to me...(not to mention I noticed on facebook that he took personal pictures with people at the other VIP shows!!!)....I don't mean to complain cause I really had a great time at the Blue and Pinkerton show except for that part... but I paid $600 for vip, another $400 for blue night, and not to mention all the money I've put into Weezer's music, and 7 other live shows I've been to over the years, and he wouldn't take 5 secs to take a photo with me....all I wanted was a picture with just me and him ,,and not only did he shut me down, but he made me feel like  I was an a******...I didn't want anything signed, but the fact that he wouldn't sign anything  either is ridiculous too

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That I paid $300 to meet Rivers and didn't meet him?

That logo should be changed from "meet and greet" to "hang out with Weezer in a room with 75 other people". That's all it was.

I didn't expect a conversation with him. But I expected a hand shake and a "Hey how are you".

It was disorganized all because some muti millionaire who makes more money in one day than normal people make in a year, needed my $300 for his mansion payment.

SPAZ-claus said:

I can believe you're companing

Saloon Katoo said:

I can't believe this guy is complaining. First off it clearly stated that no pictures were to be taken with the band besides the group picture that was taken.

Second, Rivers has heard a million times how great pinkerton is and how it's changed people's lives. As strange as it may sound, he doesn't care to hear it. I am sure he appreciates it. But after awhile you aren't telling him anything he hasn't heard a million times before.

Third, there were about 75 people around Rivers. Why should this guy get special treatment? I didn't meet Rivers, I didn't get his autograph. This guy wanted preferential treatment.

Sure, Rivers could be nicer, afterall its $300 a person. But he's only human and truth be told, I think he can be kind of a jerk. I mean anyone who is a muti millionaire and screws their fans out of $300 and is rude at a meet and greet, is a jerk. Sorry. He writes great music. He's not that nice.

Well the first night I was in group A and he walked right down the line when we were coming in and said hello, and if you put your hand out, he did shake your hand.  The second night I was in group C and when we got in, him and Brian were playing Jamie which was really cool. It was like a private little show. Stop all your b*tching. I would have paid easily $300 to be in a room with 59 other people to see them play a song like that, and then see an awesome concert.

Saloon Katoo said:

That logo should be changed from "meet and greet" to "hang out with Weezer in a room with 75 other people". That's all it was.

I didn't expect a conversation with him. But I expected a hand shake and a "Hey how are you".

It was disorganized all because some muti millionaire who makes more money in one day than normal people make in a year, needed my $300 for his mansion payment.

Well what you think is worth it and what I think is worth are two different things. Neither of which is really relevant.

But the FACT is we were suppose to MEET weezer. It is even stated on iloveallaccess that you will MEET Weezer. I did not meet Weezer through no fault of my own niether did many others. So therefore it is false advertising. We can have opinions all day long.  But what I just said is a fact.

I like Weezer. But The VIP thing was a ripoff  IMO and only die hard weezer fans who don't know what the word cirticism means would clearly see that.

John DiPietro said:

Well the first night I was in group A and he walked right down the line when we were coming in and said hello, and if you put your hand out, he did shake your hand.  The second night I was in group C and when we got in, him and Brian were playing Jamie which was really cool. It was like a private little show. Stop all your b*tching. I would have paid easily $300 to be in a room with 59 other people to see them play a song like that, and then see an awesome concert.

Saloon Katoo said:

Geez, I'm getting good at this.

The Bob Saget Band said:

Ok ok ok

The main point of argument is that Rivers couldn't act like a normal humble person, say hello and etc etc...

And, there is no right answer to this post or forum. Both sides have valid points.

Sure, Rivers doesn't owe ayone anything, but, that does not give him the right to BE an a******. Granted.

Also important, we REALLY don't know how this particular situation went down. We just have one side and perspective..

I've been in millions of scenarios were it was just a simple matter of miscommunication. And the meet and greet was before or after the show?

Well regardless, Rivers is gonna be the most sought out one of the group, AND he's prolly going to be the most exhausted.. Plus, also it was the last show of the year (I believe) before they continue this Memories tour on january 8th or so right? Could've just been all that factoring in...

Maybe the guys tone was all wrong (christopher walken voice, from joe dirt), ya know?

But also, its "meet and Greet" and not "meet and take pictures with and have conversations with" the band. Tooooo many people in that situation for everyone to go home happy.

But I'll also re-iterate. If you go to one of these things and expect the world, you will be let down. I imagine if there were only say 10 people in the whole backstage VIP area, it would've gone down way better. Maybe also if it weren't after a back to back, last hsow of the year (lets get back to LA to see out families)..

Also, Rivers has a HISTORY of awkwardness.. Why all the surprise? That's my confusion. He IS only human.

I still say if that situation presented itself 5 other times itd be different each time. Too many factors go into one chance meeting... and again, HE's the one EVERYone wants to see the MOST, constantly and always.

But im sure this forum can go on endlessly. I've sen it before, back in the day. "Rivers is a jerk/Rivers is great!" Forums is the Weezer song that never ends.

I know.. Lets ask ex-bassists how Rivers is!

Anywhoot.. This is all I can write being 12 years old and with no grasp of this thing called the "English Language". (Erm.. What WAS that guy talking about anyway? I guess having a difference of opinion leads to the old grasping of the straws routine aye rookie?)

If you don't like it (whoever you are)
You can shove it.

P.s. Oh yeah... mightve gotten lost in all this hoopla, but this concert was the shiz-niz. <~~~~ run english language! Run!!

This. I work 8-9 hour shifts at McDonald's, I deal with people non-stop all day, every day, that usually have complaints and are certainly not willing to convey them to me kindly. If I had a job like Rivers', I'd be the happiest dude in the world, not to mention the fact that these kids paid 300+ to meet me for two seconds.  And to the people that said he doesn't owe them anything, WHAT?! Dudes, we put his food on the table! We clothe his daughter! He brings home the turkey AND the bacon because millions of people buy his albums, go to his shows, and sickeningly drop 300 bucks on what should be an awesome night to meet your favorite band and have something to remind you of it. All he has to do is make music, which tons of people do FOR FREE by the way, and we will buy it because we're fans. And he couldn't take pictures and sign things? So lame. I've lost so much respect for this dude. I honestly think it's sad you guys are defending his behavior.
Sovereign Andy said:

Yep.

If he's anti social and a quirky artist type with bad, not mad, people skills, then maybe he shouldn't take the money for VIP stuff or agree to do it?

If he agrees to it, then he should man up and do it. We all (almost all) get up and go to work every day doing something we'd rather not do. Some of us (like me) work 2 jobs to make ends meet while not doing the things we love full time.

It's his job to do meet and greets. I know it's hard to have a bunch of people gushing over art or whatever, but it ain't like it lasts for 8 hours.

I pull 9 hour shifts in a loud and dirty factory now and come home to write articles for sale, then go out and busk for cash on the sidewalk when it's not too cold out.

That's my work life right now.

I freakin' wish I could stand around behind a stage while people paid hundreds of hard earned dollars for the chance to tell me that I'd changed their lives for the better or my art helped them through a hard time.

It's not the end of the world, but the guy should have gotten a little better treatment.

On the other hand, we all have off days. There are days that make me want to break my guitar over someone's head. I'd hate to have to go out and play on those days.

Never know what Rivers is going through either. He could have gotten some more bad Kafir or maybe some bad news that day.

Chalk it up to a life lesson.

hintofcoolness said:

I agree in part but he could have spent 30 seconds to snap a pic with a fan; it wouldn't have meant much to Rivers, but would have meant the world to this Michael guy. I think it stinks. I don't use my lack of people skills as a crutch ;)

Birdmagon said:

Rivers has a right to have a "bad attitude". Maybe he was having a bad night or just tired of hundreds of people wanting something from him.  Consider yourself lucky. Yes you paid extra for VIP passes. You got what you paid for. You met them and had a group photo with them. Rivers doesn't owe you anything! Get over it and quit your b*******!

I really believe that this shouldn't have happened if River's heart wasn't into meeting and greeting the fans.  His persona is no excuse - if he's contracted to meet and greet fans, he has an obligation to do so.  I am glad that some people have brought their experience to light, because it shows that buying a VIP package really isn't worth it.  I think it's shameful for any artist to snub any fan - especially since it's the fan who has supported the musician by buying his albums, the concert tickets, and other merchandise.  I feel the artists do owe the fans.  These people who go out and claim that the artists don't owe the fans anything are full of s***.  If that's the case, they might as well donate the millions they get paid into proper charities.

I say this only partially in jest, but if Michael were a Michelle and had a set of boobs I'm betting this thread wouldn't exist. And I'm a bettin' man.

I could take Scott.

;)

Yeah! The more I think about this situation the more I agree with you.... if I just had a normal convo with him and then asked him for a pic, he might have done it.

Amuro said:

If some stranger started up an awkward conversation with me I would probably just change the conversation to something i was more comfortable with (are you a musician?) Meet and greets are inherantly very, very awkward and so not saying stupid things like "omg, pinkerton saved my life" or "can we take a picture?!" probably isn't the best way to alieviate the situation. If you want to be treated with respect and have a genuine coversation, treat the band members like they are regular people and not some sort of idol that, to Rivers, probably seems very strange and he doesn't quite know how to deal with it. If you had treated him like a normal guy and had a nice conversation and THEN asked him for a picture, i'm sure he would oblidge. Thats just how human interaction goes, you know? Talk first/ask for something later.

When i meet someone from a band, i either just say "sorry to bother you, just wanted to thank you for a great show, have a good night" and walk away, or, if i want to talk to them, start up a genuine human conversation.

That would be a good match.  And I'll take your winks.

hintofcoolness said:

I could take Scott.

I would pay to see that, placemats!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.