Okay, what is the deal with this album? Why does everyone hate it? Am I the only one who appreciates the rockin' riff of "Let It All Hang Out", the cool beat and lyrics of "Trippin' Down The Freeway", the awesome buildup and heart-filled lyrics of "Put Me Back Together", the great tune of "The Girl Got Hot", and the classic "I Want You To"? Why all the hate? Please give me specific reasons, not "this album is a piece of s***". Please explain. Thanks, and I don't care if you guys hate it, just wondering why.

 

For the few who like this album, what is your favorite song? Mine is "Put Me Back Together"

Views: 60

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I'm just getting my ears around this tbh, I had a Weezer hiatus since 2005 and Make Believe, for some reason. Anyway, Hurley recently pulled me back in to another Weezer listening peak, so I'm catching up on what I missed. I love the Red album, and can't really hear anything dramatically wrong with Raditude.

 

Saying that, the dozen or so times I've played it, it does come across as their least memorable record/songs. Funnily enough, I'd just fired up my pc and was playing it already, then I signed in on here and saw this fred.

 

I don't want to let you go sounds like the strongest thing on there.

 

 

The first five points that come into my mind on why Raditude sucks:

 

1) The whole album feels like a knee-jerk reaction by Rivers after awareness of growing irrelevancy. Raditude feels like Rivers' answer to try to avoid musical redundancy. ("If I work with songwriters who have written huge hits for Katy Perry, The Veronicas, Britney Spears, Madonna, Bowling for Soup [etc.] I will be as popular as they are!")

2) Most of the lyrics are vapid and show obvious detachment from the author, in some cases Rivers wasn't even the author (J.D. wrote the lyrics for Can't Stop Partying) and do you think Rivers really felt what he sang in Put Me Back Together? He's a forty year old man that should be singing about themes that aren't f*cking taking your girl out to ice-cream (he should be singing stuff like The Angel and the One + Pig), yet you guys still think it's the most sincere stuff out. It 100% sounds like an All American Rejects song, not a Weezer song (I guess it helps that the All American Rejects co-wrote the song!).

3) Bland, uninspired, predictable song directions. There ain't any Paperface/Hot Tub-esque, left field bridges here folks!

4) "Hi, my name is Rivers Cuomo, my favourite band is Weezer and my favourite album is Raditude" + Wuggies + Sydney + the name "Raditude". Don't need to elaborate on this.

5) Horrible mixed + overproduced. Where was the Weezer that fought for good mixing for the Red album?

 

The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World, Run Over By a Truck, I Don't Want to Let You Go and Trippin' Down the Freeway are the sole standouts of the album for me. Incidentally, they are the only tracks not to have co-write credits and all of them were written before The Red Album dropped, proving just how bad 2009 was for Weezer.

This x100.

 

This is not the same brand of "pop" as Buddy Holly as someone said earlier. 

 

And while I like a few songs from this era (Prettiest Girl, Run Over, Trippin', Don't Wanna Let You Go, I Want You To) the album as a whole is terrible and embarrassing. Let It All Hang Out maybe a fun rocker on the guitar (reminiscent of Green), but the lyrics lack any type of maturity or cleverness. The same goes for I'm Your Daddy, The Girl Got Hot, and Put Me Back Together. And while I'll admit PMBT is a guilty pleasure, in no way do I condone this type of song writing from Weezer (please leave it to The All American Rejects). As for Love Is The Answer, while I can appreciate them going for something "different" this new version was totally unnecessary (except for the bridge which I love in this version) since the original Make Believe version is fine. I still can't believe this, along with In The Mall, made the standard album in place of Prettiest Girl and Run Over. The point is Rivers, and Weezer collectively, have far too much talent and creativity to produce a whole album of shallow Top 40-ready made tracks. Angel, Dreamin, Greatest Man, Pork and Beans, Pig, Spider, Sweeney, and some stuff in Hurley prove this. I'm not trying to bash Weezer or Rivers here but this midlife crisis of an album was a mistake, and comes very close to dethroning Maladroit as this band's worst.


James Stockwell (Jamekae) said:

The first five points that come into my mind on why Raditude sucks:

 

1) The whole album feels like a knee-jerk reaction by Rivers after awareness of growing irrelevancy. Raditude feels like Rivers' answer to try to avoid musical redundancy. ("If I work with songwriters who have written huge hits for Katy Perry, The Veronicas, Britney Spears, Madonna, Bowling for Soup [etc.] I will be as popular as they are!")

2) Most of the lyrics are vapid and show obvious detachment from the author, in some cases Rivers wasn't even the author (J.D. wrote the lyrics for Can't Stop Partying) and do you think Rivers really felt what he sang in Put Me Back Together? He's a forty year old man that should be singing about themes that aren't f*cking taking your girl out to ice-cream (he should be singing stuff like The Angel and the One + Pig), yet you guys still think it's the most sincere stuff out. It 100% sounds like an All American Rejects song, not a Weezer song (I guess it helps that the All American Rejects co-wrote the song!).

3) Bland, uninspired, predictable song directions. There ain't any Paperface/Hot Tub-esque, left field bridges here folks!

4) "Hi, my name is Rivers Cuomo, my favourite band is Weezer and my favourite album is Raditude" + Wuggies + Sydney + the name "Raditude". Don't need to elaborate on this.

5) Horrible mixed + overproduced. Where was the Weezer that fought for good mixing for the Red album?

 

The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World, Run Over By a Truck, I Don't Want to Let You Go and Trippin' Down the Freeway are the sole standouts of the album for me. Incidentally, they are the only tracks not to have co-write credits and all of them were written before The Red Album dropped, proving just how bad 2009 was for Weezer.

No. You're wrong.

Dave said:


leftshoe18 said:
Raditude is my least favorite Weezer album yet I still like it plenty.  Other than "The Girl Got Hot" and "In the Mall", I like every track of it.  My favorites are "I'm Your Daddy", "Put Me Back Together", and "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To".

It's actually: If You're Wondering If I Want You To (I Want You To).
Not:
(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To.


johnny rockets said:

This x100.

 

This is not the same brand of "pop" as Buddy Holly as someone said earlier. 

 

And while I like a few songs from this era (Prettiest Girl, Run Over, Trippin', Don't Wanna Let You Go, I Want You To) the album as a whole is terrible and embarrassing. Let It All Hang Out maybe a fun rocker on the guitar (reminiscent of Green), but the lyrics lack any type of maturity or cleverness. The same goes for I'm Your Daddy, The Girl Got Hot, and Put Me Back Together. And while I'll admit PMBT is a guilty pleasure, in no way do I condone this type of song writing from Weezer (please leave it to The All American Rejects). As for Love Is The Answer, while I can appreciate them going for something "different" this new version was totally unnecessary (except for the bridge which I love in this version) since the original Make Believe version is fine. I still can't believe this, along with In The Mall, made the standard album in place of Prettiest Girl and Run Over. The point is Rivers, and Weezer collectively, have far too much talent and creativity to produce a whole album of shallow Top 40-ready made tracks. Angel, Dreamin, Greatest Man, Pork and Beans, Pig, Spider, Sweeney, and some stuff in Hurley prove this. I'm not trying to bash Weezer or Rivers here but this midlife crisis of an album was a mistake, and comes very close to dethroning Maladroit as this band's worst.


James Stockwell (Jamekae) said:

The first five points that come into my mind on why Raditude sucks:

 

1) The whole album feels like a knee-jerk reaction by Rivers after awareness of growing irrelevancy. Raditude feels like Rivers' answer to try to avoid musical redundancy. ("If I work with songwriters who have written huge hits for Katy Perry, The Veronicas, Britney Spears, Madonna, Bowling for Soup [etc.] I will be as popular as they are!")

2) Most of the lyrics are vapid and show obvious detachment from the author, in some cases Rivers wasn't even the author (J.D. wrote the lyrics for Can't Stop Partying) and do you think Rivers really felt what he sang in Put Me Back Together? He's a forty year old man that should be singing about themes that aren't f*cking taking your girl out to ice-cream (he should be singing stuff like The Angel and the One + Pig), yet you guys still think it's the most sincere stuff out. It 100% sounds like an All American Rejects song, not a Weezer song (I guess it helps that the All American Rejects co-wrote the song!).

3) Bland, uninspired, predictable song directions. There ain't any Paperface/Hot Tub-esque, left field bridges here folks!

4) "Hi, my name is Rivers Cuomo, my favourite band is Weezer and my favourite album is Raditude" + Wuggies + Sydney + the name "Raditude". Don't need to elaborate on this.

5) Horrible mixed + overproduced. Where was the Weezer that fought for good mixing for the Red album?

 

The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World, Run Over By a Truck, I Don't Want to Let You Go and Trippin' Down the Freeway are the sole standouts of the album for me. Incidentally, they are the only tracks not to have co-write credits and all of them were written before The Red Album dropped, proving just how bad 2009 was for Weezer.

I tried very hard to like this album when it came out. The truth is, a lot of it is just beneath the talents of Rivers and co. You say that Put Me Back Together is "heart-filled" but there is nothing in that song that feels real emotionally. The album is an exercise in pandering and it fails most of the time. Let It All Hang Out  and Can't Stop Partying were great live songs but on the album they fall flat.

 

That said, I think Tripping Down The Freeway is fantastic, as is I Don't Want To Let You Go. I'm Your Daddy is a huge guilty pleasure but I like it far more than any of Cuomo's other pop collaborations because it still has the quintessential weirdness that makes Rivers a unique songwriter and the bridge is awesome (the verse is really bad though, imo). I will defend The Underdogs and its lyrics to the death. I think it's one of the most honest, emotional Weezer songs of the past decade and perfectly sums up the peaks and valleys of their career.

 

I just think that Rivers is far too gifted and the Weezer brand was far too respectable for him to attempt to make a Weezer record so mainstream and pop. There has always been a pop element to Weezer but there's a balance of pop and rock that makes Weezer brilliant. Rivers missed the mark here. I won't say the album is terrible but it's not all that good. imo.

I really like this album, and have liked every album that Weezer has released. Is it their best album?  No? Is it different from their earlier stuff? Yes. I think people need to stop complaining that this is "different" from their earlier stuff. Weezer is a totally different band now, then they were back during Pinkerton and Blue. Sure, the band is still nerdy and awesome, but they themselves have matured into what they are today.

 

My favorite song off of this album would have to be, "I'm Your Daddy" or "Trippin Down the Freeway." Both songs are unbelievably catchy and are just "fun." The only song that bothers me is, "The Girl Got Hot' not a huge fan of that one.

 

=W=

I'm not exactly sure what you've been reading, but it seems to me that most people are complaining that this album isn't that good, not that it is "different"

Garrett S. Vanisi said:

I really like this album, and have liked every album that Weezer has released. Is it their best album?  No? Is it different from their earlier stuff? Yes. I think people need to stop complaining that this is "different" from their earlier stuff. Weezer is a totally different band now, then they were back during Pinkerton and Blue. Sure, the band is still nerdy and awesome, but they themselves have matured into what they are today.

 

My favorite song off of this album would have to be, "I'm Your Daddy" or "Trippin Down the Freeway." Both songs are unbelievably catchy and are just "fun." The only song that bothers me is, "The Girl Got Hot' not a huge fan of that one.

 

=W=

Great pop album

Not so good weezer album

Let me fix that for ya:

Not so great pop album.
Not so good Weezer album.
Thanks for the responses.
Wow, I don't know what to say. Bashing Maladroit this hard? Whatever man.

hintofcoolness said:


johnny rockets said:

This x100.

 

This is not the same brand of "pop" as Buddy Holly as someone said earlier. 

 

And while I like a few songs from this era (Prettiest Girl, Run Over, Trippin', Don't Wanna Let You Go, I Want You To) the album as a whole is terrible and embarrassing. Let It All Hang Out maybe a fun rocker on the guitar (reminiscent of Green), but the lyrics lack any type of maturity or cleverness. The same goes for I'm Your Daddy, The Girl Got Hot, and Put Me Back Together. And while I'll admit PMBT is a guilty pleasure, in no way do I condone this type of song writing from Weezer (please leave it to The All American Rejects). As for Love Is The Answer, while I can appreciate them going for something "different" this new version was totally unnecessary (except for the bridge which I love in this version) since the original Make Believe version is fine. I still can't believe this, along with In The Mall, made the standard album in place of Prettiest Girl and Run Over. The point is Rivers, and Weezer collectively, have far too much talent and creativity to produce a whole album of shallow Top 40-ready made tracks. Angel, Dreamin, Greatest Man, Pork and Beans, Pig, Spider, Sweeney, and some stuff in Hurley prove this. I'm not trying to bash Weezer or Rivers here but this midlife crisis of an album was a mistake, and comes very close to dethroning Maladroit as this band's worst.


James Stockwell (Jamekae) said:

The first five points that come into my mind on why Raditude sucks:

 

1) The whole album feels like a knee-jerk reaction by Rivers after awareness of growing irrelevancy. Raditude feels like Rivers' answer to try to avoid musical redundancy. ("If I work with songwriters who have written huge hits for Katy Perry, The Veronicas, Britney Spears, Madonna, Bowling for Soup [etc.] I will be as popular as they are!")

2) Most of the lyrics are vapid and show obvious detachment from the author, in some cases Rivers wasn't even the author (J.D. wrote the lyrics for Can't Stop Partying) and do you think Rivers really felt what he sang in Put Me Back Together? He's a forty year old man that should be singing about themes that aren't f*cking taking your girl out to ice-cream (he should be singing stuff like The Angel and the One + Pig), yet you guys still think it's the most sincere stuff out. It 100% sounds like an All American Rejects song, not a Weezer song (I guess it helps that the All American Rejects co-wrote the song!).

3) Bland, uninspired, predictable song directions. There ain't any Paperface/Hot Tub-esque, left field bridges here folks!

4) "Hi, my name is Rivers Cuomo, my favourite band is Weezer and my favourite album is Raditude" + Wuggies + Sydney + the name "Raditude". Don't need to elaborate on this.

5) Horrible mixed + overproduced. Where was the Weezer that fought for good mixing for the Red album?

 

The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World, Run Over By a Truck, I Don't Want to Let You Go and Trippin' Down the Freeway are the sole standouts of the album for me. Incidentally, they are the only tracks not to have co-write credits and all of them were written before The Red Album dropped, proving just how bad 2009 was for Weezer.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video