I am making this post, because a previous thread on the topic was closed prematurely, and no real discussion had ever taken place. Please, do not lock this thread because you think you understand, show me you understand by engaging with me in discussion.  

I've been a mainstay member of this board for the past six or seven years, and I would have to say, this board is on a fast track to visit the "Make Believe Era" of  Weezer message boards. The new forum layout, for a time, helped breathe new life into the Weezer internet community, but it seems that the continuing questionable decisions made by moderators, is causing this place to dry out. The nucleus of this community is dying- the same community which has served as the rock by which this forum was reconstructed on.  

The current condition of moderation on these boards may be put in place to protect new users, but let us not forget that a handful of these new users will one day grow to become a new community of Weezer boardies- a new nucleus. With that in mind, the new community will begin to form their own inside jokes, their own relationships, and their own ideas on what is deemed appropriate. It is not appropriate to exercise an authoritarian rule over a community which will eventually generate its own identity. If this type of rule continues to exist, you will begin to notice a decline in growth and the eventual death of these forums. In order for growth to occur, free will must exist and it must be exercised to the fullest extent. 

In order to fix this problem, you must look at a little bit of history, which almost none of you were ever involved in.  The community which thrived(s) on these boards was able to develop thanks to a lack of concern shown by moderators. Threads were deleted where it was absolutely necessary, and the rules were simple and easy to follow. Threads which naturally moved off topic were not deleted or locked, but were able to exist and grow on their own without the hindrance of administrative abilities. These types of threads, if I remember correctly, are what formed the relationships which sustained this community. It was not the participation of Rivers, Karl, Pat, Scott, and Brian that kept this community alive, it was the community itself, acting by itself. 

What is going to happen when the current community leaves this forum and the replacement community is no longer able to act on its own? The community will cease to exist, because there will be no foundation among the members of the community. With no community to replace it, one of your most important sources for publicizing Weezer will no longer be economically viable. This would be bad for the band, who we have all loved at one point or another in our lives. 

There are three things we can do to fix this problem. First you must recognize that this board is not yours, this board is ours. Without us, this forum and website would not exist, the usefulness of this board solely rests with the existence of the community. Instead of selecting your own moderators, who do not exist within the current or future community, you must select moderators who exist within this community, and you must select moderators who understand how the current community functions. This will generate respect for moderation, and in turn will help things function more smoothly. Second, you must allow the community to develop threads on their own with disregard to how far off topic things get. This will allow character to develop within the community, and will allow the members of these forums to build relationships. Once relationships are formed, the future viability of this website will be secured. Thirdly, you need to eliminate the rule that we must respect the band, because in all honesty this band (not including Karl) is the bastard father of this community, and their recent appreciation for the community is almost sickening. Most importantly, do you expect everyone to enjoy everything a band with nine albums has to offer? Let us discuss what we don't like, regardless of how silly it looks or sounds.

Now, let's discuss.

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i believe the point they are trying to make is that four of the seven moderators are more associated with a6, not .com, and in the previous incarnation of the forum, only one of the seven current moderators was a regularly active member.

anyway, i guess we'll have ten moderators now, four of whom regularly post here, so that's a start. kind of.

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about in regards to this being moderated like the A6 community.  We have no real control or influence over A6, and that place is barely moderated at all anyway lol.  I really don't see any similarities there.

Perhaps some of us are more associated with A6, but there is absolutely no influence from "A6" in how any decisions of moderation are made.   A6 doesn't have to be professional, it doesn't have to be an official website, it doesn't have to be appropriate for all ages, so the rules there are super lax.   I've been posting on the .com since 2005, I just don't think anyone remembered I was there since I didn't use the "bleed0range" username.  I didn't like the way the old .com forums were designed, personally.  I think these are definitely a step in the right direction, but it could still be better.

fluck said:

i believe the point they are trying to make is that four of the seven moderators are more associated with a6, not .com, and in the previous incarnation of the forum, only one of the seven current moderators was a regularly active member.

anyway, i guess we'll have ten moderators now, four of whom regularly post here, so that's a start. kind of.

I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about in regards to this being moderated like the A6 community.  We have no real control or influence over A6, and that place is barely moderated at all anyway lol.  I really don't see any similarities there.

That was rude

Michelle said:
You truly are an idiot.

The dreWid said:
I read the title, though. My point is that the moderation is not that questionable. 

The dreWid said:
Nope, lol! ;D

OnlyinPinkerton said:
You didn't read my post, did you?

The dreWid said:
The guidelines are really not that hard to follow. Just don't swear, post explicit images, give away copywrited music, or be excruciatingly mean to the noobs. The moderation is fine on here. 
I think it's rude that you're still commenting on this post without reading the points that OnlyInPinkerton made.

The dreWid said:
That was rude

Michelle said:
You truly are an idiot.

The dreWid said:
I read the title, though. My point is that the moderation is not that questionable. 

The dreWid said:
Nope, lol! ;D

OnlyinPinkerton said:

The dreWid said:
The guidelines are really not that hard to follow. Just don't swear, post explicit images, give away copywrited music, or be excruciatingly mean to the noobs. The moderation is fine on here. 

what was your username? there are several of us here that were posting on the make believe board (me, kittens, oip, to name just a few) so someone is bound to remember you.

I've been posting on the .com since 2005, I just don't think anyone remembered I was there since I didn't use the "bleed0range" username. 

fluck said:

Behold! The future of .com moderation.

The dreWid said:
Nope, lol! ;D

OnlyinPinkerton said:

The dreWid said:
This is not a fan-made site. This is weezer and karl's website. They can do whatever the heck they want here. (ps I just read the original post. I congratulate you for writing so much.)
The community/fans are what make this website viable, not Weezer, that's what I was getting at. I suggest you read it a second time.

The dreWid said:
This is not a fan-made site. This is weezer and karl's website. They can do whatever the heck they want here. (ps I just read the original post. I congratulate you for writing so much.)
soz

The dreWid said:
that wasn't really the point i was getting at, but it's not important.

Perhaps some of us are more associated with A6, but there is absolutely no influence from "A6" in how any decisions of moderation are made.   A6 doesn't have to be professional, it doesn't have to be an official website, it doesn't have to be appropriate for all ages, so the rules there are super lax.   I've been posting on the .com since 2005, I just don't think anyone remembered I was there since I didn't use the "bleed0range" username.  I didn't like the way the old .com forums were designed, personally.  I think these are definitely a step in the right direction, but it could still be better.

fluck said:

What does that stand for?

edgey44 said:
soz

The dreWid said:
its a word mostly used in northern (run-down) england

The dreWid said:
What does that stand for?

edgey44 said:
soz

The dreWid said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video