Hey all,

I just recently finished a 10-song album.  Although I'm a bit biased considering it's my own stuff, I really like what I hear, and I've just been practicing all of the songs and putting the finishing touches on them where I feel it's necessary.  When I feel comfortable enough with them, I want to start recording.  I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, so can anyone recommend some free or at least cheap methods of recording?  Also, any advice going into the recording process?

Thanks!

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wait for a response from GFooChombey
My thoughts exactly!

Luigi-sp26 said:

Cheap/free stuff? If you're a perfectionist, there is no such thing. However, if you don't mind it being a bit "unprofessional" sounding, here are a few things you can look into.

If Mac, Garageband. I personally hate it, but it's a good place to start.

If anything, Mixcraft. It's easy to understand after a few test records and very user friendly.

If perfectionist, save up for ProTools.

You'll need a microphone. I know that you CAN use a laptop mic, but they have no highs/lows since they aren't meant to record music. Music recorded with real mics vs computer mics is like listening to music through headphone vs phone speakers..if you catch my drift.

Advice? You'll need patience. Things will often not go your way, especially if you're a one man band.

As far as not spending money goes, remember that music is a very fine art. You need quality equipment for a quality recording.

If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask.

Sounds good, I can wait!

Birdmagon said:
My thoughts exactly!

Luigi-sp26 said:

Love you, Chombey!

G Foo Chombey said:

well, that's just rude.

Iol I think my reply was literally right after you posted your feedback...

I don't mind it sounding a bit unprofessional starting out, but obviously if there is a specific sound I'm going for, I want that to come out on the recording .  Since I don't have a Mac, Garageband is out of the question, but it sounds like Mixcraft would be the more realistic option. I'm going to start reading into it.

I'm gonna go out and buy a mic sometime this week so I can start ASAP. 

I do appreciate the help, and I'll message you if any other questions come to mind.

G Foo Chombey said:

Cheap/free stuff? If you're a perfectionist, there is no such thing. However, if you don't mind it being a bit "unprofessional" sounding, here are a few things you can look into.

If Mac, Garageband. I personally hate it, but it's a good place to start.

If anything, Mixcraft. It's easy to understand after a few test records and very user friendly.

If perfectionist, save up for ProTools.

You'll need a microphone. I know that you CAN use a laptop mic, but they have no highs/lows since they aren't meant to record music. Music recorded with real mics vs computer mics is like listening to music through headphone vs phone speakers..if you catch my drift.

Advice? You'll need patience. Things will often not go your way, especially if you're a one man band.

As far as not spending money goes, remember that music is a very fine art. You need quality equipment for a quality recording.

If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask.

If you want to go totally cheap without purchasing and/or locating copies of ProTools, Adobe Audition, go download Audacity - its free.  If I am not mistaken, you can multitrack on it.

I downloaded Audacity since it was free.  I still need a mic to actually do the recordings, which I'm getting soon.  It doesn't seem that difficult to figure out.

GFoo, is Audacity a big downgrade on Mixcraft?  Seeing how Mixcraft actually costs money to buy, I'm just assuming it has more bells and whistles than Audacity has to offer.

Jupiter 80 said:

If you want to go totally cheap without purchasing and/or locating copies of ProTools, Adobe Audition, go download Audacity - its free.  If I am not mistaken, you can multitrack on it.

I don't like audacity. I've used it a few times, but it's just so user unfriendly. It's also the choice of high school bands so you end up being grouped with that sound. Look for a torrent of Mixcraft, they exist in massive numbers.
Alright man, I'll look into that torrent then.

G Foo Chombey said:
I don't like audacity. I've used it a few times, but it's just so user unfriendly. It's also the choice of high school bands so you end up being grouped with that sound. Look for a torrent of Mixcraft, they exist in massive numbers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video