First off, I gave into temptation and downloaded the Pinkerton deluxe. I have every intention of purchasing it the day it comes out, so I'd rather not hearing any criticisms regarding this.

Before I start off this review b******* and moaning, I want to point out the good. I LOVE Getting Up and Leaving. It blows my mind this wasn't even considered for the album, it could've even been a single. I am very grateful for the other session outtakes, Longtime Sunshine, Tragic Girl, and I Swear It's True. The alternate versions of Tired of Sex, Getchoo and Butterfly are great. And I'm happy all the B-Sides are here.

But seriously, WHY IS THERE 3-4 DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF EL SCORCHO, PINK TRIANGLE AND THE GOOD LIFE? That's not even counting the original album versions either. Let's review:

There's the Shorecrest High versions of Pink Triangle and The Good Life, which as they were released as b-sides at the time, I would expect to be included.
The radio remixes of Pink Triangle and The Good Life which are really not all that different from the album versions and a waste of space in my opinion.
The Y100 Sonic Session versions of The Good Life, Pink Triangle, and El Scorcho. They pretty much sound exactly like the Shorecrest High versions, so their inclusion seems pointless to me.
And last but not least, the Reading Festival versions of El Scorcho and Pink Triangle. I think it probably wouldve made sense to include other Pinkerton cuts, or even the entire show.

I know everyone is going to say this is nitpicking, (it probably is) and that I should enjoy it, and believe me I do. But including THAT many versions of the same songs seems like an awful waste of space, where there could be potential for more interesting material. It makes the listening experience repetitive, which is very unfortunate. I'm interested to hear others opinions regarding this error in judgement.

Tags: deluxe, pinkerton

Views: 400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Order it like this and compare it the TBA deluxe:

1-10. Pinkerton
11. You Gave Your Love to Me Softly
12. Devotion
13. Waiting On You
14. I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams
15. You Won't Get With Me Tonight
16. Tragic Girl
17. Longtime Sunshine
18. Getting Up and Leaving
19. Across the Sea [Piano Noodles]
20. The Good Life [Live]
21. El Scorcho [Live]
22. Pink Triangle [Live]
23. Why Bother? [Live]
24. El Scorcho [Live]
25. Pink Triangle [Live]
26. The Good Life [Live]
27. The Good Live [Live Acoustic]
28. Pink Triangle [Live Acoustic]
29. El Scorcho [Live Acoustic]
30. Tired of Sex [Demo]
31. I Swear It's True [Demo]
32. Getchoo [Demo]
33. The Good Life [Alternate Version]
34. Pink Triangle [Alternate Version]
35. Butterfly [Alternate Version]

Right now you can get 45 songs for $25 on the Weezer shop with free shipping, not to mention you get the digital download and the physical discs with awesome packaging and liner notes. The remainder of the SFTBH demos will be on Alone III, which is accurate considering there are few to no full band demos for that album. Therefore, fans now have the full SFTBH demos, b-sides, live tracks, acoustic, alternate versions and lost takes.... Anything from the 90's era is now available in some way, shape or form. I'm loving this and am looking forward to tomorrow.
I got mine in the mail today! I'm pretty happy with it. The booklet has some great photos.
I have a theory...

Rivers is giving us enough rope to hang ourselves with. when we get Alone III we'll have all of SFTBH (?) or enough of it to put together our own high quality version. this why 'tired of sex' and 'getchoo' tracking sessions were on P;DE.
i'm basically really happy with pink:deluxe.

i find it weird that karl did the write up in the booklet, specifically mentioning the band recorded blast off & she's had a girl, and yet those don't appear on the deluxe version. superfriend was destoryed, but not those.

so that's my only quesiton really, other than that, really dig it
Since SFTBH plays a MAJOR part in creating the mystique surrounding the Pinkerton years, I feel there should have been more focus on those sessions. It's quite important and a whole disk and liner notes devoted to that "lost" album would have thrilled most fans. You'd be seeing far fewer complaints on these boards.

I'm guessing Rivers is spreading out SFTBH out to sell CDs. He's probably planning his retirement fund right now and doing quite nicely (especially with the sinfully expensive Memories tour). But, he's smart cause he knows we'll keep buying the stuff. At least I will, haha.

Pinkerton Deluxe isn't a total los but it's definitely not the home run it could have been.
i thought it was a bit boring, but its ok.. DTFM is better though.
it might be crazy, but i still think weezer will re-record and release SFTBH

Dungeon Master said:
I have a theory...

Rivers is giving us enough rope to hang ourselves with. when we get Alone III we'll have all of SFTBH (?) or enough of it to put together our own high quality version. this why 'tired of sex' and 'getchoo' tracking sessions were on P;DE.
i don't know. doesn't seem like that good of an idea. as i said that time period is done. hard to recapture that energy/feeling.

face facts. its over.

Jared N said:
it might be crazy, but i still think weezer will re-record and release SFTBH

Dungeon Master said:
I have a theory...

In all honesty, SFTBH < Pinkerton. Rivers was messing around with different songs and concepts and Weezer went with the better idea which was Pinkerton.

There is no point to re-do SFTBH. But there are many gems on the "album" and they should have been showcased properly on this deluxe edition of Pinkerton.
It was cool to get Tragic Girl and Gettin Up and Leavin early,
but it kinda sucked the excitement out of the album as there
ain't anything that comes close to them on there. 
I would have loved all the b sides and the other studio stuff on one
Disc as a kind of Pinkerton second string line up, 
who needs that many live versions of the same 3 songs?  
Better a studio version of a terrible terrible song than another live pink triangle.

Kezner32 said:
In all honesty, SFTBH < Pinkerton. Rivers was messing around with different songs and concepts and Weezer went with the better idea which was Pinkerton. There is no point to re-do SFTBH. But there are many gems on the "album" and they should have been showcased properly on this deluxe edition of Pinkerton.
agreed

SPAZMATIK1 said:
let's be honest, everyone saw Pinkerton Deluxe and assumed it would be SFTBH

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:
I really don't/didn't know what to expect. Do some fans think there are 100 of tapes hidden away with hours of new material on them? Does anyone know how many songs Rivers recorded during that time period?

Unless we know all that for sure, they we can really complain about not giving us "new" material.

The two versions of the same acoustic songs is stupid though. Sonic session < Shorecrest. No need for both of them.

j-biebs said:
i'd guess that, given the complaints, weezer isn't giving fans exactly what they want.

Radioactive said:
Are you kidding me?

Here we go again... Weezer giving the fans exactly what they want and again and again it's everyone p****** off at them...
I believe that no matter what we would have gotten some people would have complained.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video