First off, I gave into temptation and downloaded the Pinkerton deluxe. I have every intention of purchasing it the day it comes out, so I'd rather not hearing any criticisms regarding this.

Before I start off this review b******* and moaning, I want to point out the good. I LOVE Getting Up and Leaving. It blows my mind this wasn't even considered for the album, it could've even been a single. I am very grateful for the other session outtakes, Longtime Sunshine, Tragic Girl, and I Swear It's True. The alternate versions of Tired of Sex, Getchoo and Butterfly are great. And I'm happy all the B-Sides are here.

But seriously, WHY IS THERE 3-4 DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF EL SCORCHO, PINK TRIANGLE AND THE GOOD LIFE? That's not even counting the original album versions either. Let's review:

There's the Shorecrest High versions of Pink Triangle and The Good Life, which as they were released as b-sides at the time, I would expect to be included.
The radio remixes of Pink Triangle and The Good Life which are really not all that different from the album versions and a waste of space in my opinion.
The Y100 Sonic Session versions of The Good Life, Pink Triangle, and El Scorcho. They pretty much sound exactly like the Shorecrest High versions, so their inclusion seems pointless to me.
And last but not least, the Reading Festival versions of El Scorcho and Pink Triangle. I think it probably wouldve made sense to include other Pinkerton cuts, or even the entire show.

I know everyone is going to say this is nitpicking, (it probably is) and that I should enjoy it, and believe me I do. But including THAT many versions of the same songs seems like an awful waste of space, where there could be potential for more interesting material. It makes the listening experience repetitive, which is very unfortunate. I'm interested to hear others opinions regarding this error in judgement.

Tags: deluxe, pinkerton

Views: 400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just listened to disk 2 and I find the alternate Butterfly and Long Time Sunshine way more interesting than any of the live performances. It is interesting to hear other versions done in the studio and explore the creative. Im so happy we finally have the special coda of Longtime Sunshine, although its pretty disjointed! I never thought wed have it!

And man, Tragic Girl & Getting Up and Leaving sound awesome! Its just a shame that Ill probably never revisit tracks 2 - 10.
Yeah...live versions can bite me...the alternate tracks and studio outtakes are kick ass!!
judging off of a first listen:

pink triangle [radio remix] is awesome. i really enjoyed the "hidden track" at the end of disc 1, which was essentially the radio discussion with a fan. and the addition of you won't get with me tonight is so good. one of the best songs from that era.
is it the same version included on alone II?

UWbadgers16 said:

pink triangle [radio remix] is awesome. i really enjoyed the "hidden track" at the end of disc 1, which was essentially the radio discussion with a fan. and the addition of you won't get with me tonight is so good. one of the best songs from that era.
i had commented earlier that i wasn't pleased with all the live stuff.. but the sonic session stuff is great. i loved it. and the alternate take of butterfly put a tear in my eye.. only thing i didn't like was el scorcho at reading... i don't think rivers sang it too well, but we all have our bad performances. after a few listens, i'm very pleased with the deluxe edition
The live versions aren't bad, it's just that they have been available for years now. I first downloaded the Sonic Sessions and Shorecrest High School performance back in 2002.

If they were going to release stuff that we already had, I rather it be stuff important to making the album, aka, SFTBH. Those tracks would been more significant here. Blast Off and Superfriend deserve to be on disk #2. It would have made for an awesome, in depth look at the work towards creating Weezer's sophomore release, which eventually became Pinkerton.

pinkertonjunkie said:
i had commented earlier that i wasn't pleased with all the live stuff.. but the sonic session stuff is great. i loved it. and the alternate take of butterfly put a tear in my eye.. only thing i didn't like was el scorcho at reading... i don't think rivers sang it too well, but we all have our bad performances. after a few listens, i'm very pleased with the deluxe edition
i'm not entirely certain that "you won't get with me tonight" is on alone II.

elscorcho said:
is it the same version included on alone II?

UWbadgers16 said:

It's on the Gimme Skelter compliation. But yes it's the same officially released version that's been out for a few years...
Falling for You and Across the Sea live would have been great, but I'm not gonna complain. It's amazing we even got this much.
It's amazing.

I think I must've listened to Getting Up and Leaving about a million times this week.
I thought the same thing regarding the three singles. I would have liked to see full band renditions of songs from STFBH.
I definitely would have loved live versions of Across the Sea and falling for you, but I am very happy.. By the way, did anyone notice that the lyric book is missing lyrics for El Scorcho. Just happen to notice that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video