First off, I gave into temptation and downloaded the Pinkerton deluxe. I have every intention of purchasing it the day it comes out, so I'd rather not hearing any criticisms regarding this.

Before I start off this review b******* and moaning, I want to point out the good. I LOVE Getting Up and Leaving. It blows my mind this wasn't even considered for the album, it could've even been a single. I am very grateful for the other session outtakes, Longtime Sunshine, Tragic Girl, and I Swear It's True. The alternate versions of Tired of Sex, Getchoo and Butterfly are great. And I'm happy all the B-Sides are here.

But seriously, WHY IS THERE 3-4 DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF EL SCORCHO, PINK TRIANGLE AND THE GOOD LIFE? That's not even counting the original album versions either. Let's review:

There's the Shorecrest High versions of Pink Triangle and The Good Life, which as they were released as b-sides at the time, I would expect to be included.
The radio remixes of Pink Triangle and The Good Life which are really not all that different from the album versions and a waste of space in my opinion.
The Y100 Sonic Session versions of The Good Life, Pink Triangle, and El Scorcho. They pretty much sound exactly like the Shorecrest High versions, so their inclusion seems pointless to me.
And last but not least, the Reading Festival versions of El Scorcho and Pink Triangle. I think it probably wouldve made sense to include other Pinkerton cuts, or even the entire show.

I know everyone is going to say this is nitpicking, (it probably is) and that I should enjoy it, and believe me I do. But including THAT many versions of the same songs seems like an awful waste of space, where there could be potential for more interesting material. It makes the listening experience repetitive, which is very unfortunate. I'm interested to hear others opinions regarding this error in judgement.

Tags: deluxe, pinkerton

Views: 400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

anybody get theirs in the mail today?
I do agree in some ways, but we can not complain too much because the band has been more weezer than our brains can process. 3 weezer releases in less than 3 months. i have never been able to tell the difference between the original pinkerton and the remix.
YEAH INSTEAD OF INCLUDING MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF THE SAME SONG (SRSLY WTF???) THEY SHULD HAVE JUST SPENT THAT TIME WRITING MOAR PINKERTON ERA SONGS SO THEY COULD HAVE INCLUDED MOAR SONGS FROM THAT ERA THAT IVE NEVER HEARD LIKE I DONT KNOW MAYBE ONE CALLED "I WENT AWAY THEN CAME BACK (AND YOUR LOVE WASN'T THERE ANYMORE)" LIKE IF ITS SO EASY FOR ME TO THINK UP THE NAME OF ONE THEN WHY DIDNT THEY USE THE SPACE THEY HAD ON THE ALBUM MORE WISELY????!!
I think the tracking roughs of "Tired of Sex" and "Getchoo" have already been available. The fans that are serious enough about Pinkerton to buy the Deluxe Edition probably already have: Shorecrest, Sonic Sessions, The B-Sides, You Wont Get with Me Tonight and Reading Festival. Which means the only new tracks are:

1) Getting Up and Leaving
2) Tragic Girl
3) I Swear It's True (Pinkerton Era)
4) Longtime Sunshine (Full Band)
5) Butterfly (alternate take)

This is a Double CD. They could have fit the studio B-Sides on Disk 1 and all of SFTBH on disk 2. If ever there was a proper place to release all of the SFTBH tracks in the right order, this set would have been the place. It would feel a lot more complete than having to hunt through all the Alone disks. And how many times will people really listen to the 10 live tracks, which we've already heard so many times before?

5 new tracks out of 25 seems a little disappointing for the audience this set is targeted at.

I still purchased it and the price for the Deluxe release with the Diorama was really affordable. I just think a little more thought should have went into this.
can't wait to build my diorama!!

Kezner32 said:
I think the tracking roughs of "Tired of Sex" and "Getchoo" have already been available. The fans that are serious enough about Pinkerton to buy the Deluxe Edition probably already have: Shorecrest, Sonic Sessions, The B-Sides, You Wont Get with Me Tonight and Reading Festival. Which means the only new tracks are:

1) Getting Up and Leaving
2) Tragic Girl
3) I Swear It's True (Pinkerton Era)
4) Longtime Sunshine (Full Band)
5) Butterfly (alternate take)

This is a Double CD. They could have fit the studio B-Sides on Disk 1 and all of SFTBH on disk 2. If ever there was a proper place to release all of the SFTBH tracks in the right order, this set would have been the place. It would feel a lot more complete than having to hunt through all the Alone disks. And how many times will people really listen to the 10 live tracks, which we've already heard so many times before?

5 new tracks out of 25 seems a little disappointing for the audience this set is targeted at.

I still purchased it and the price for the Deluxe release with the Diorama was really affordable. I just think a little more thought should have went into this.
Are you kidding me?

Here we go again... Weezer giving the fans exactly what they want and again and again it's everyone p****** off at them...
I really don't/didn't know what to expect. Do some fans think there are 100s of tapes hidden away with hours of new material on them? Does anyone know how many songs Rivers recorded during that time period?

Unless we know all that for sure, they we can really complain about not giving us "new" material.

The two versions of the same acoustic songs is stupid though. Sonic session < Shorecrest. No need for both of them.

j-biebs said:
i'd guess that, given the complaints, weezer isn't giving fans exactly what they want.

Radioactive said:
Are you kidding me?

Here we go again... Weezer giving the fans exactly what they want and again and again it's everyone p****** off at them...
let's be honest, everyone saw Pinkerton Deluxe and assumed it would be SFTBH

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:
I really don't/didn't know what to expect. Do some fans think there are 100 of tapes hidden away with hours of new material on them? Does anyone know how many songs Rivers recorded during that time period?

Unless we know all that for sure, they we can really complain about not giving us "new" material.

The two versions of the same acoustic songs is stupid though. Sonic session < Shorecrest. No need for both of them.

j-biebs said:
i'd guess that, given the complaints, weezer isn't giving fans exactly what they want.

Radioactive said:
Are you kidding me?

No one has mentioned getting these songs in crisp, remastered quality. I don't know about you guys, but my versions of most of the bonus tracks like Threw Out the Love of my Dreams and Longtime Sunshine were pretty low-quality.
everyone can b**** all they want, but the tracklisting was released before pre-orders went up. so if you didnt like the looks of the track listing you didn't have to buy it. i havent downloaded it and am waiting for it to come in the mail. i personally am happy that we are getting this. i plan on marrying my copy.
These were recorded in the mid-nineties, not the mid-fifties. As long as you download high-quality versions of the B-Sides (which exist since these were released on CD) the sound quality is great. I dont think there will be a big difference in the remastered versions. Check out TBA deluxe. No big improvement in the B-sides since there was no room for improvement.
<3

Ringer7 said:
YEAH INSTEAD OF INCLUDING MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF THE SAME SONG (SRSLY WTF???) THEY SHULD HAVE JUST SPENT THAT TIME WRITING MOAR PINKERTON ERA SONGS SO THEY COULD HAVE INCLUDED MOAR SONGS FROM THAT ERA THAT IVE NEVER HEARD LIKE I DONT KNOW MAYBE ONE CALLED "I WENT AWAY THEN CAME BACK (AND YOUR LOVE WASN'T THERE ANYMORE)" LIKE IF ITS SO EASY FOR ME TO THINK UP THE NAME OF ONE THEN WHY DIDNT THEY USE THE SPACE THEY HAD ON THE ALBUM MORE WISELY????!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video