I will always love Weezer. Weezer to me is like the Beatles. I will always support and love them (obviously, cuz I'm writing on the message board).

But...

When will they realize that most of their fans aren't 5 years old? Weezer has become a PG band in an R rated market. The Weezer I grew up with said "goddamn", "lesbian", "breast", mentioned masturbation, fantasized about young girls, said "might of smoked a few in my time", and had the bad ass intro to Undone. There's countless other examples. I'm sure people will try to pull examples from their later work (where's my sex), but we all know there's no real comparison.

I just remember being shocked to hear some of these lyrics and topics, and idolizing Rivers for having the balls to say it.

I just want Weezer to be cool again.

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what the f*** is this s***.

Radioactive said:
Once you become a mother maybe you will realize what's important in life and what to write about.
lol
If weezer took your advice, their songs would be even less personal. 

First off, I'm a dude. Not sure where the confusion came from but whatever. Second, you pretty much proved my point with the "become a mother" stuff. This proves how "safe" Weezer has become. The above person probably puts on the Raditude album after watching "The Lion King". I hate to criticize Raditude( I still listen to it) but I have to make the point, once again, that it's PG.

To deny that Pinkerton wasn't about sex, drugs, and rock n' roll (or that Rivers didn't write about it) is crazy. It's one of the most sexually laced albums I've ever heard. ex. Tired of Sex - "i'm spread so thin, I don't know who I am", Falling for You - "I'm ready let's do it baby", Across the Sea..too many to mention..

Drugs is just as easy. ex. Pink Triangle - "might of smoked a few in my time", Hash Pipe, Dope Nose, and more.

Rock n' Roll is a given.

At one time, Weezer was my KISS. I bought into what Rivers was saying and fully believed that he got all the chicks he said he was getting (Tired of Sex). Whether or not it was true doesn't matter. It rocked. I'm sure Rivers has some memories he can reference while he's writing a bad ass album that college kids can play.

It's not about "R" rated stuff but maturity in general.  Just singing about breasts or masturbation is juvenile, but with-in the context of being honest and open in songwriting I don't think it is.  In Pinkerton, it could be considered immature by some, but the point was that Rivers was telling it like it is.  That's all.  It takes a lot of courage to put that out there, the words that you really want to say.

But foul words alone don't make a record more mature or immature for that matter. 

I agree that it's not just about saying "bad" words. I would like to see them go into the songwriting process with a more adult/edgier mentality and see what comes out. If there are some questionable statements or adult themes then so be it. I believe most of us can handle that, and would appreciate the change.

Everybody's heard of Weezer and know at least a song or two that they sing (referring to the general public). I feel like if they took their time and wrote a more mature record with some of the things i mentioned above, they could be one of the top rock bands in the world. This isn't about selling out, this is about writing an "epic" record that everyone will want to own.
I leave for 3 days and come back to this? Wel'll im sure if you ask Rivers really nicely to write more songs about masturbation...wait nevermind, i can't even troll that argument. A record doesn't have to be "dark" and say "breast"(...tehe) to be deep and meaningful. Hell, it could be the happiest darn album of all time and be just as meaningful as a "dark" album...though i do agree, the word lesbian was definetly lacking in thier recent albums, should be added more for that nice seriouse touch...LESBIANS!!!!...see how deep that was?

I understand what you are craving, but you are an idiot.  Go listen to Akon.

You will likely never hear what you want from weezer, ever again.  Unless something happens to Rivers to make him lose his focus (no more meditating), then he goes into depression, finds happiness through substances, and becomes alone again....but for his sake, I hope that never happens.

When I want music like what you are craving, I'm grateful I always have Pinkerton to listen to.  But today is more of a Hurley day.

Exactly.  When people ask for another Pinkerton, do they forget how unhappy Rivers was, and that's how that music was made?  There's a lot of pain in that album, not just "sex, drugs, and rock n roll".  I hope that he never has to be in such a painful place for him again, and I would think his other fans would, too.

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

I understand what you are craving, but you are an idiot.  Go listen to Akon.

You will likely never hear what you want from weezer, ever again.  Unless something happens to Rivers to make him lose his focus (no more meditating), then he goes into depression, finds happiness through substances, and becomes alone again....but for his sake, I hope that never happens.

When I want music like what you are craving, I'm grateful I always have Pinkerton to listen to.  But today is more of a Hurley day.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video