I will always love Weezer. Weezer to me is like the Beatles. I will always support and love them (obviously, cuz I'm writing on the message board).

But...

When will they realize that most of their fans aren't 5 years old? Weezer has become a PG band in an R rated market. The Weezer I grew up with said "goddamn", "lesbian", "breast", mentioned masturbation, fantasized about young girls, said "might of smoked a few in my time", and had the bad ass intro to Undone. There's countless other examples. I'm sure people will try to pull examples from their later work (where's my sex), but we all know there's no real comparison.

I just remember being shocked to hear some of these lyrics and topics, and idolizing Rivers for having the balls to say it.

I just want Weezer to be cool again.

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The thing people need to keep in mind is that Rivers is in a very different place in his life now than when he wrote those songs.  The cool thing about Rivers is that he's not afraid to push the envelope with his lyrics if it gets the point across, but he's not going to push it just for the sake of pushing.  Rivers is married with a kid now, and so he probably (but hey, who knows?) doesn't have as much involvement with lesbians and smoking a few and whatever else anymore.

Yes, it was wonderful and badass that he said what he needed to say.  His lyrics have always been wonderful, especially when shocking.  But he has different things he needs to say now.

And Weezer is still cool.  They always will be.

It's been a long time since a lyric from Rivers has struck any kind of emotional chord with me. I'm hoping that if there is any kind of thought that might be considered "questionable" or "unsafe" that he'd be willing to share it. We've had multiple albums that are safe. I'd like them to flip the switch..shake things up. I know they're married with families which makes this probably impossible. But it would be cool for Weezer to make an album with a "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll" mind set. An album that everyone will jam at parties. Something that college kids would play. Something where you might have to rewind it to make sure you heard what you thought you heard. Something parents won't like. I remember putting on Pinkerton for the first time with my family in the car and listening to Tired of Sex..and they made me turn it off. It made me love it even more. Weezer just needs to rebel for one album. It's time to rock again.

On the positive side..the guitar sound on Hurley kicks ass and they did an awesome cover of Radiohead.

I do understand that he is in a different place, and maybe what I'm proposing doesn't line up with his current lifestlye or values. Can't blame him. I'm just sharing what I think makes a good record.

Marissa Joy said:

The thing people need to keep in mind is that Rivers is in a very different place in his life now than when he wrote those songs.  The cool thing about Rivers is that he's not afraid to push the envelope with his lyrics if it gets the point across, but he's not going to push it just for the sake of pushing.  Rivers is married with a kid now, and so he probably (but hey, who knows?) doesn't have as much involvement with lesbians and smoking a few and whatever else anymore.

Yes, it was wonderful and badass that he said what he needed to say.  His lyrics have always been wonderful, especially when shocking.  But he has different things he needs to say now.

And Weezer is still cool.  They always will be.

HELL YES!!! Well said, that is the best peice of advice to weezer i ever heard. Right on...SEX, DRUGS, and ROCK'N ROLL!!!! DO IT! Lets Rock, no more kiddie rock stuff

Leisure said:

It's been a long time since a lyric from Rivers has struck any kind of emotional chord with me. I'm hoping that if there is any kind of thought that might be considered "questionable" or "unsafe" that he'd be willing to share it. We've had multiple albums that are safe. I'd like them to flip the switch..shake things up. I know they're married with families which makes this probably impossible. But it would be cool for Weezer to make an album with a "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll" mind set. An album that everyone will jam at parties. Something that college kids would play. Something where you might have to rewind it to make sure you heard what you thought you heard. Something parents won't like. I remember putting on Pinkerton for the first time with my family in the car and listening to Tired of Sex..and they made me turn it off. It made me love it even more. Weezer just needs to rebel for one album. It's time to rock again.

On the positive side..the guitar sound on Hurley kicks ass and they did an awesome cover of Radiohead.

I'd rather hear an album inspired by the better parts of the red album (Angel, Pig, Greatest Man) than a SEX DRUGZ N ROOOOOOOOOOCK N ROOOOOOOOOOOOLL album.

Leisure said:
they did an awesome cover of Radiohead.

So are we just ignoring Blowin' My Stack here, or what?

Wow, "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll"... really?   That's what you wanna hear?

No wonder Rivers called you guys little b******.

Weezer pushing the envelope before was one thing.  It was edgy, it fit the times and the sound and the mood.  What makes them different now is that they can bring forth good, clean rock that's 100,000% better than people obsessed with sex and drugs in EVERY song.  Seriously, if you want substance in lyrics, that's not what you write about.

Idiots.

So I guess you're saying there's more substance in Raditude and Hurley than Pinkerton?? Get real. They were hardly game changing. I think it's time for a mature record. We've had PG albums for the last decade.

Weezer needs to "turn to the dark side" for one album. All it takes is one "real" album to stick with a generation. I'm talking about an epic record with some "real" lyrical content. I'm not here to diss Weezer records. I've enjoyed all of them in different ways. I'm just sharing what I loved most about Weezer and the direction that I would like to see them go. I believe most of us can handle a little sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Some more so than others, it appears.
lololololololol

Hate to sound so cruel, but this may be the worst thread of all time.

What you dont realise is that Weezer/Rivers has never been about "sex, drugs and rock and roll"

Leisure said:

I believe most of us can handle a little sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

You, ma'am, are an idiot and a pervert.

Like indiekid said, Weezer has NEVER been about sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.  I believe Make Believe and the Red albums are both mature records, as is Pinkerton.  Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll is the OPPOSITE of mature.  Once you become a mother maybe you will realize what's important in life and what to write about.

Good day miss.

Leisure said:

So I guess you're saying there's more substance in Raditude and Hurley than Pinkerton?? Get real. They were hardly game changing. I think it's time for a mature record. We've had PG albums for the last decade.

Weezer needs to "turn to the dark side" for one album. All it takes is one "real" album to stick with a generation. I'm talking about an epic record with some "real" lyrical content. I'm not here to diss Weezer records. I've enjoyed all of them in different ways. I'm just sharing what I loved most about Weezer and the direction that I would like to see them go. I believe most of us can handle a little sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Some more so than others, it appears.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video