I get tired of hearing that Hurley is an attempt at an "apology" to Weezer fans for the so-called "trash" Weezer has been churning out the past few albums or so. What's more, there seems to be a "reckoning point" when Weezer sucked and didn't suck. I keep hearing the terms "post-Pinkerton" and frankly, I'm sick of it. What's even amusing is the album Pinkerton was considered "trash" by no less than some so-called die-hard Weezer fans. I know this is a tiresome issue. However, if you were really die-hard fans, you wouldn't resort to pompous bickering over which Weezer album sucked or not. Sure some albums pale in comparison to others, but hey, that's quite normal for any band isn't it?

Ever since I heard "My Name Is Jonas" on a friend's mixtape way back in 1994, my appreciation for music has since been dramatically changed. For every Weezer album that's been released, I've developed a special fondness -- a fondness that doesn't compare or unfairly berate one album from the other. With that said, I can honestly say that I love each and every Weezer album, because I know that the band I chose to devote my fandom to has that "cut-above-the-rest" characteristic that's unique to them alone.

As far as Weezer's sound is concerned, I really dig the fact that despite dabbling into musical experimentation (some successful, some otherwise), they have still kept a pretty solid sound throughout the almost-twenty years of their existence. For that I am really thankful for. I think the best description I can give Weezer is that they are "dynamically consistent", which may sound quite paradoxical at first. But when you think about it, it shows the band's no-nonsense approach when it comes to their craft. They're not afraid to digress because they know what they're really good at. A fine example of this can be seen in "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" on The Red Album.

With all that said, I think Hurley is an excellent Weezer album and is by no means an apology for anything.

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hurley is so yesterday's news
meee too. didn't even read the post, but read this and laughed haha
I respect your opinion dude. Although sometimes, 14 year-olds know best ;-) On a different note, I think the bass intro in "My Girl" is one of the best basslines ever written in recent pop music history. I mean it's right there in your face. All you have to do is appreciate it and smile. :-)
y'all should eat more vegetables hahahaha :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video