So if Rivers happens to make a rock opera, which he has been hinting at lately both on here and on Twitter... what are your thoughts on it?  What kind of story do you think it might be?  Looks like that recent video he uploaded might be a demo for the supposed rock opera.  Underwater noises?  Is that just an ambient effect or could it be a plot point (like somebody drowning)?

On the other side of things, how about live shows?  I've really been into the way they've handled the Memories shows.  It feels more theatrical with the Pinkerton "costumes" and the Karl slide show and everything.  What I mean to say, maybe not so much theatrical but not run of the mill, something different.  There's more to it then just a 45 minute to an hour or so set.  What if they did something similar while supporting a rock opera tour.  Like, costumes with some kind of set pieces or something to help tell the story while they play.  I've heard muse do some crazy stuff like play inside glass pyramids with pyro and things like that.  Maybe an extension of that sort of idea, but in a way that would help tell a story. 

I dunno, I'm just daydreamin here.  Feel free to share in the dreaming.

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe we'll luck out and get SFTBH Part 2 or something. It would be interesting to see (or at least hear, I guess) what happens to Captain Jonas and crew in the events following the mission. Maybe there's something else they have to do before they give it up. Either way, Rivers loves watching us overanalyze his work.

Where are people hearing these "new demos"?

Daniel [bleed0range] said:
With this particular new tidbit I can see that it's not so much a set direction but testing the grounds for what the next direction could be, I guess.  Either way a concept album or a rock opera would both be okay in my book.  The new demo sounds interesting.  Hmm.

Michael Rowland (Gohi) said:

When I asked Rivers about this last night (mostly for Dan), he was very careful and deliberate with how he responded. He said that right now he doesn't have any real set plans for the next Weezer album and he's just got lots of different approaches and ideas to consider and he might want to take a new direction in a few months. He then said that for all we know there might not even be another Weezer record, and he brought up Ash as an example of a band who doesn't make records anymore but tours. The man obviously does not want to get us all to start expecting something from him because he is prone to change his mind.

Rivers posted a video on the website yesterday.

Paperface said:

With this particular new tidbit I can see that it's not so much a set direction but testing the grounds for what the next direction could be, I guess.  Either way a concept album or a rock opera would both be okay in my book.  The new demo sounds interesting.  Hmm.

When I asked Rivers about this last night (mostly for Dan), he was very careful and deliberate with how he responded. He said that right now he doesn't have any real set plans for the next Weezer album and he's just got lots of different approaches and ideas to consider and he might want to take a new direction in a few months. He then said that for all we know there might not even be another Weezer record, and he brought up Ash as an example of a band who doesn't make records anymore but tours. The man obviously does not want to get us all to start expecting something from him because he is prone to change his mind.

There was barely anything in that video lol

Michael Barrios said:

Paperface said:

They heard backstage at the Chicago show.
Paperface said:
There was barely anything in that video lol

Michael Barrios said:

Paperface said:

Ash is still releasinig music though. They just released more than 40 songs in the past year in fact.

Yeah they just didnt release 1 full album instead they released lots of singles. Besides i doubt Rivers would stop releasing songs and concentrate on touring instead, i get the impression he loves writing and being in the studio a lot more than touring.

Jon Ang said:
Ash is still releasinig music though. They just released more than 40 songs in the past year in fact.

Extremely unlikely that Rivers would produce something like SFTBH again. He's more interested in writing fun pop songs these days.

Blueperton said:

Maybe we'll luck out and get SFTBH Part 2 or something. It would be interesting to see (or at least hear, I guess) what happens to Captain Jonas and crew in the events following the mission. Maybe there's something else they have to do before they give it up. Either way, Rivers loves watching us overanalyze his work.

I think a rock opera is the next step up for Weezer. Like rivers said it's like they are putting out rocky 8. Why not try to write a cohesive story and a set of songs with characters. Test your creativity, let the other members come up with parts too, make it vast and exciting. Who cares how its received or how it sells?

I mean, all the band members would be more involved with character parts, their could be duets with a female guest singer. It would also be a helluva experience to see live. No one said a rock opera will instantly make an album amazing but just give it your all and see what comes of it.

I'd be friggen stoked for an album that has a bit more thought to it than your "rocky 8"..

Thats waht Rivers meant....no more Weezer albums, just releasing songs. Personally, I think that would work very well for Weezer seeing how Rivers can still write some great songs, but they can't seem to put a 10 song album together anymore.
Indiekid said:
Yeah they just didnt release 1 full album instead they released lots of singles. Besides i doubt Rivers would stop releasing songs and concentrate on touring instead, i get the impression he loves writing and being in the studio a lot more than touring.

Jon Ang said:

That's why i think a rock opera would be perfect. The reason why weezer albums haven't been top notch as of late is because they aren't cohesive. A rock opera forces the story to be cohesive and the songs to an extent too.

It would be a damn shame if they skip out on making an album. Do a fantastic rock opera or one to the best of your ability then go the..." SINGLES MARKET" route... which is what everyone and their mother is doing :/
bleedgoldandwhite21 said:

Thats waht Rivers meant....no more Weezer albums, just releasing songs. Personally, I think that would work very well for Weezer seeing how Rivers can still write some great songs, but they can't seem to put a 10 song album together anymore.
Indiekid said:

Jon Ang said:

I'd be seriously disappointed if they went 'the singles route', which is kind of what he's doing right now with all these collaborations. They're good too, but albums are the real deal.

Whether it's a rock opera or not, I'm expecting something special this year.

Daniel Gasparini ( Danorganplaye said:

That's why i think a rock opera would be perfect. The reason why weezer albums haven't been top notch as of late is because they aren't cohesive. A rock opera forces the story to be cohesive and the songs to an extent too.

It would be a damn shame if they skip out on making an album. Do a fantastic rock opera or one to the best of your ability then go the..." SINGLES MARKET" route... which is what everyone and their mother is doing :/
bleedgoldandwhite21 said:

Indiekid said:

Jon Ang said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video