So if Rivers happens to make a rock opera, which he has been hinting at lately both on here and on Twitter... what are your thoughts on it?  What kind of story do you think it might be?  Looks like that recent video he uploaded might be a demo for the supposed rock opera.  Underwater noises?  Is that just an ambient effect or could it be a plot point (like somebody drowning)?

 

On the other side of things, how about live shows?  I've really been into the way they've handled the Memories shows.  It feels more theatrical with the Pinkerton "costumes" and the Karl slide show and everything.  What I mean to say, maybe not so much theatrical but not run of the mill, something different.  There's more to it then just a 45 minute to an hour or so set.  What if they did something similar while supporting a rock opera tour.  Like, costumes with some kind of set pieces or something to help tell the story while they play.  I've heard muse do some crazy stuff like play inside glass pyramids with pyro and things like that.  Maybe an extension of that sort of idea, but in a way that would help tell a story. 



I dunno, I'm just daydreamin here.  Feel free to share in the dreaming.

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with your dreams.
I thought at one point he described the new demos as being 16 years old going to the gas station to get a slurpee. Doesn't sound sophisticated nor Rock-Opera-ish.

A rock opera sounds interesting. Which recent video are you refering to?

It's on Rivers' page.  It's him in the studio recording something that I assume was the "crazy demo" or whatever that he was referring to the other day.  And Omletteburning, I'm not entirely sure but I think Rivers may have had a change of direction regarding whatever album 10 is going to be.  I could be entirely wrong though.  I have no idea.  Maybe the kid drowns on his way to the gas station. haha.

Danielle said:

A rock opera sounds interesting. Which recent video are you refering to?


Thanks Daniel.

Crazy demo snippets are good to hear. I'm also liking the cardigan.


Daniel [bleed0range] said:

It's on Rivers' page.  It's him in the studio recording something that I assume was the "crazy demo" or whatever that he was referring to the other day.  And Omletteburning, I'm not entirely sure but I think Rivers may have had a change of direction regarding whatever album 10 is going to be.  I could be entirely wrong though.  I have no idea.  Maybe the kid drowns on his way to the gas station. haha.

Danielle said:

A rock opera sounds interesting. Which recent video are you refering to?


In my experience Slurpee machines are kind of dangerous. Perhaps it's a horror/thriller rock opera. Like Stephen Kings' Christine, only the slurpee machine is possessed, (instead of a Plymouth). This could account for the underwater sounds.


Omletteburning said:

I thought at one point he described the new demos as being 16 years old going to the gas station to get a slurpee. Doesn't sound sophisticated nor Rock-Opera-ish.
I hope its not a rock opera, i really just want a good weezer album. Im not into any of the SFTBH demos that were on Alone I & II. I mean i want it to be original but it also has to be something i could listen to over and over again and i dont think many of the tracks would be that kind of song. I really only like tired of sex and blast off from SFTBH.
If Rivers where going to do one I doubt it would be like SFTBH at all.  He wasn't really liking where it was going at that point of time anyway.  I'd say he's probably maybe just trying to vary the song-writing a bit but who knows.  It could be an opera about a kid on his bike/scooter getting a slurpee.
 

I think the Slurpee Album is one of three things:

 

  1. Its been scraped completely

  2. Its Album 10 and this new possible Rock Opera is Album 11

  3. Its been set aside for now, with Rivers going in a new creative direction

 

I think the album Rivers is working on is definitely a concept album at least, if not an actual rock opera.

For the concept of the rock opera, I'd want it to be the story of a washed up Superhero. He used to be the greatest hero of them all, but he has declined over the years. While he still has millions of supporters, he loses fans everyday and his actual work is sloppy and unworthy of his old heroic deeds. The watershed moment is when the he can not save a boy from drowning (this new demo). He rededicates himself and slowly rises back to the top as the greatest superhero. Rivers is the superhero. We begin the story in Post-Pinkerton land, where he still has fans, but he loses more and more each day and he hasn't lived up to his former accomplishments. Rivers realizes this, creates a great album and redeems himself, much like the superhero.

When I asked Rivers about this last night (mostly for Dan), he was very careful and deliberate with how he responded. He said that right now he doesn't have any real set plans for the next Weezer album and he's just got lots of different approaches and ideas to consider and he might want to take a new direction in a few months. He then said that for all we know there might not even be another Weezer record, and he brought up Ash as an example of a band who doesn't make records anymore but tours. The man obviously does not want to get us all to start expecting something from him because he is prone to change his mind.

 

 

This would be cool if this wasn't only in dreams, I would like to see this become a reality if they do do something like this.
With this particular new tidbit I can see that it's not so much a set direction but testing the grounds for what the next direction could be, I guess.  Either way a concept album or a rock opera would both be okay in my book.  The new demo sounds interesting.  Hmm.

Michael Rowland (Gohi) said:

When I asked Rivers about this last night (mostly for Dan), he was very careful and deliberate with how he responded. He said that right now he doesn't have any real set plans for the next Weezer album and he's just got lots of different approaches and ideas to consider and he might want to take a new direction in a few months. He then said that for all we know there might not even be another Weezer record, and he brought up Ash as an example of a band who doesn't make records anymore but tours. The man obviously does not want to get us all to start expecting something from him because he is prone to change his mind.

 

 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video