According to a couple of site a new album will be produced by Ric Ocasek starting in January. A Weezer greatest hits album has also been talked about. And possible Alone IV which would be made up of demos that went on to be full band songs. 

Article -------Click Here bro's

Do you think this is going to actually happen or will it just be another dead rumor?

Views: 2159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see why this shouldn't happen. Weezer needs recapture the attention of both its fans and the media. While a greatest hits album reminds everyone of how great weezer's legacy is, the inclusion of Ocasek on the new record will definitely stir up excitement within the fan community and those who had listened to weezer back in the day. My guess is that it will be yet another colored album. If this report is true, 2014 may be quite an epic year.
I hope so. I really so lol. When was there last album? It's about damn time

"the sessions are tentatively booked through the summer" would indicate that they're not in the studio until summer of 2014, so if there was a new album you most likely wouldn't sniff it until 2015.

you're welcome.

Ace Sharp said:

If this report is true, 2014 may be quite an epic year.

I think it will happen and I'm pretty freaking excited about it. :)

Smells like teen spirit!

if there was a new album you most likely wouldn't sniff it until 2015.

I'm excited about Ric Ocasek.  I hope it's not another color album though.  There's not a better way to say "we're out of new ideas" then just do another color album. (Besides they used all the best colors anyway already) ... They should try something new and different, Rivers himself said many times in the past few years that he didn't want to keep making "cookie cutter weezer songs" or release "Rocky 8."  I really am crossing my fingers on something more akin to that sea-themed rock opera he teased in 2010.  Something like that produced by Ric Ocasek would be pretty sweet.

What?? No thee are still more colors... Don't forget purple... If we were to mix the colors of my 2 favorite albums that would synthesize something new and create purple!

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

I'm excited about Ric Ocasek.  I hope it's not another color album though.  There's not a better way to say "we're out of new ideas" then just do another color album. (Besides they used all the best colors anyway already) ... They should try something new and different, Rivers himself said many times in the past few years that he didn't want to keep making "cookie cutter weezer songs" or release "Rocky 8."  I really am crossing my fingers on something more akin to that sea-themed rock opera he teased in 2010.  Something like that produced by Ric Ocasek would be pretty sweet.

At the end of the day a color album is just the same thing we've already got 3 times before.  I'd prefer something more original.  Ultimately I know the cover or title of the album doesn't mean that much versus the music, but I like the idea of being surprised by new cover art and different things then just pumping out "the old standard."  Rivers hinting at a sea-themed rock opera on this site in 2010 was a lot more interesting to me because there could be a story attached to the music ala songs from the black h***.  If you really think about it, what would be cooler a color album or something akin to SFTBH?  Either way, I know it doesn't matter but if you've already done something 3 times, why not try doing something you've never done before?

Lion on the floor (natkat) said:

What?? No thee are still more colors... Don't forget purple... If we were to mix the colors of my 2 favorite albums that would synthesize something new and create purple!

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

I'm of the "a color album is great with me as long as that s#!t rocks" opinion. People can be surprised by what color it is or what the band photo looks like (Red was pretty surprising in that regard).  I don't mind the pattern of color albums and non-color albums. I want the band to give what they want to give or whatever it is that they feel this should be. Only they know what moves them in that regard.  I've loved each of the color albums, and I think they're all very different musically - none are "standard" to me - they have their own personalities. I kind of enjoy the straightforwardness of an eponymous album, too. Not labeling it with a title keeps from (literally) labeling it.  If they feel like a title stands out or represents the art inside, and they want to title the album, then that is awesome with me too.

I think the sea-themed rock opera has become the new SFTBH - I think people are intrigued because they don't know more about it. It's tantalizing I suppose to have seen the clips.  I just want the guys to love playing whatever it is they're working on, have some great promotional plans in place, and have a blast with it.

I can't wait to hear what's in store, and that's what we all have in common regardless of feelings on the album sleeve.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what they want from the next release.  I obviously care and want what's best for the band.  But ultimately it is and should be up to the band.  But they're allowed to take everyone else's opinions into consideration even if it's against your own.  You're right in that sure, it could be a color album too and it would have some of the same charm but I think you're mistaken if you really believe that it would necessarily have just as much depth.  If say, something akin to the sea themed rock opera (which btw, I don't expect is going to end up being what this album is) was released.  It wouldn't.  Not putting a label on music does not make it stand on it's own.  The music stands on it's own no matter if it's a color release or a concept album or a rock opera or whatever.  Pinkerton would still be great if it had been just a self titled album, but I think the concept behind naming it Pinkerton after Madame Butterfly and having themes that run throughout it gives it that much more depth (you can see some of Rivers work at putting those themes into play in the Pinkerton Diaries).

Rivers really hasn't done anything like that since Pinkerton.  It's true all the albums sound different, which is a fantastic trait for this band to continue achieving.  But one thing that hasn't deviated has been the lack of any added depth of that sort.  You can call it pretentiousness if you want, but I enjoy when there's more to both the music and the collection of songs, when there's something it's trying to say.  Pinkerton has something to say. 

Red is the closest Rivers came to doing something similar.  The album cover is supposedly capturing their alter-egos, which in a way Rivers managed to break out of his shell of his normal writing and explored other musical possibilities such as the rap like intro in Greatest Man.  It's not fully fleshed out, but it's sorta there.  So yes, even a color album in that regard COULD be more interesting if treated in that kind of manner. 

But I wanna touch on something else too.  You've said a few times now that you don't understand the "Rocky 8" argument but that's because you're looking at it from the perspective of the records SOUNDING similar.  The difference is that Rivers was more referring I think to the composition of the songs and I think, the basic 10 song album structure.  Hurley is pretty much just a collection of songs and the album doesn't really have anything to "say."  It's some fun songs but there's not much more to it then that.  Raditude is similar, if it had anything to say it was just "here's some party songs."  Part of the fun of a Weezer record is listening in on what is going on in Rivers life.  Red is great because it does explore a lot of his past and is self-referential.  I find that more fascinating then a very "generic love song" like Put Me Back Together. 

In regards to the music itself.  It's true that the sound of the songs has been different on all the albums.  But compositionally speaking, Rivers said he needed to get away from the "cookie cutter" Weezer formula.  I'm only assuming he must have meant the things that are just so easy to expect.  Chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus structures, playing in a certain key or a certain tempo, etc.  If you listen to music enough some of that stuff can become predictable and those really are the easiest kinds of songs to write.  Rivers has written them so much that for Red, he did make an effort to departure from them and that also is another reason I love red too.  Not to say that the basic formula for those songs is bad either... just it's nice to have some variety on an album.

All in all what I'm trying to say is, I want them to push themselves as artists and musicians.  They should be as passionate (or moreso) about this album as I am (and many other fans).  And they shouldn't deliver to us what we would necessarily say we want.  You ask some random fans what they want on an album and they might say "The orange album would be awesome with some crunchy guitars!"  But that's the problem with fans, they don't really know what they want.  They only think they know what they want based on what they've already gotten.  With that line of thinking, Pinkerton wouldn't even exist!  Nobody expected that kind of departure from Blue.  It's up to an artist to give them something else, what the artists wants to do and hopefully he's pushing himself to do something different and see what he can accomplish.  Sometimes it might not be something we want and sometimes it might be.  

I was excited by the prospect of the sea themed rock opera, and it was all Rivers' idea not mine.  It was a cool one.  I wouldn't have expected something like that.  And that's what I'm talking about.  I hope they don't take the easy road and play it safe with the next album (both on the musical side of it and how they present it as an album).  It would be easy to do, and that's what worries me.  Ric Ocasek goes hand in hand with "color album," so it's very predictable if that's what they end up doing.  Which again, wouldn't be the end of the world but it would be far from the thing that would most excite me as a fan.

Like I said, it's up to them.. in their hands on what we get.  But it's okay if I don't think it should be a color album, it's okay if I don't like 100% of everything Weezer has ever done.  Part of the fun of being a fan is talking about these things and if I seem like I'm being negative because I don't want a color album necessairly, well that's not true... I'm merely passionate and opinionated because of how much I love the band.  To me, this stuff matters a lot.  I want them to get it right.  Not just for me but for the success of the band too and the fans at large.  Not every fan is as happy with their output of the past several years.

Of course, either way I am excited.  Even if it is a color album.  Red is one of my favorites albums.  But it's not really because it's a color album.  I'd be fine with a color album, I just want it to explore interesting possibilities like Red did or akin to something the promise of a rock opera could have provided.  Not something like Hurley, which again is okay for a collection of typical rock numbers, but neither the songs nor the album do anything starkly different in the grand scale of the alt. rock genre or even in comparison to some of Rivers' prior work.  I want something that shoots for more.

Lisa said:

I'm of the "a color album is great with me as long as that s#!t rocks" opinion. People can be surprised by what color it is or what the band photo looks like (Red was pretty surprising in that regard).  I don't mind the pattern of color albums and non-color albums. I want the band to give what they want to give or whatever it is that they feel this should be. Only they know what moves them in that regard.  I've loved each of the color albums, and I think they're all very different musically - none are "standard" to me - they have their own personalities. I kind of enjoy the straightforwardness of an eponymous album, too. Not labeling it with a title keeps from (literally) labeling it.  If they feel like a title stands out or represents the art inside, and they want to title the album, then that is awesome with me too.

I think the sea-themed rock opera has become the new SFTBH - I think people are intrigued because they don't know more about it. It's tantalizing I suppose to have seen the clips.  I just want the guys to love playing whatever it is they're working on, have some great promotional plans in place, and have a blast with it.

I can't wait to hear what's in store, and that's what we all have in common regardless of feelings on the album sleeve.

I'm sorry, I think you thought I was arguing against your thoughts, but I was just expressing mine. You're certainly entitled to your opinions, of course! Just wanted to express another viewpoint, that's all.

Haha, no it's okay.  I just get reallllly passionate about it haha.  Sorry, can't help it!  I would be okay with whatever they end up doing too!  I know it's going to be good no matter what.  I just can't help it with all these cool ideas swimming around in my head.  Like you said and everyone knows, every album is different.  It'll be interesting to see what's different this time around and what they do to keep things new.

Lisa said:

I'm sorry, I think you thought I was arguing against your thoughts, but I was just expressing mine. You're certainly entitled to your opinions, of course! Just wanted to express another viewpoint, that's all.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video