New Joint, Dope Nose, We are All on Drugs and Hash Pipe

Is Weezer on drugs? haha

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was under the impresion that Rivers stopped doing drugs by Make Believe, since "We Are All on Drugs" felt sarcastic and pretty anti-drug to me. Dope Nose and Hash Pipe, on the other hand, don't.
this is amazing.

Marie said:

Exactly what I was wondering....

BryanD said:

Is it a stupid question because Rivers is now into meditation and therefore unlikely to do drugs?  Or is it a dumb question because (I assume) everyone in the music industry does drugs and the members of Weezer couldn't possibly be an exception?  Those two possibilities are opposites, so if you could provide more info, that would be great.  Thanks.

fluck [kittenž (j.biebž)] said:
i guess i assumed more people would realize that this is a pretty stupid question.

What? I always thought that line is Rivers reminiscing about engaging in homosexual activities ("smoked a few" = giving head) and saying that he doesn't think homosexuality is wrong. It reveals that Rivers isn't a homophobe who is disgusted at the lesbian for liking other girls, he just thinks it sucks because he fell in love with someone who won't ever love him back.

BryanD said:

Another one I thought of is a line from 'Pink Triangle': "Might have smoked a few in my time, but never thought it was a crime."

Who knows if they are (but hopefully they aren't...)  But their songs definitely do reflect an unfortunately healthy drug culture here in the U.S., I guess.

whatdafuck?

James Stockwell (Jamekae) said:

What? I always thought that line is Rivers reminiscing about engaging in homosexual activities ("smoked a few" = giving head) and saying that he doesn't think homosexuality is wrong. It reveals that Rivers isn't a homophobe who is disgusted at the lesbian for liking other girls, he just thinks it sucks because he fell in love with someone who won't ever love him back.

BryanD said:

Another one I thought of is a line from 'Pink Triangle': "Might have smoked a few in my time, but never thought it was a crime."

Who knows if they are (but hopefully they aren't...)  But their songs definitely do reflect an unfortunately healthy drug culture here in the U.S., I guess.

I thought this too, about Pink Triangle.

As for the drug stuff, we know Hash Pipe is more a story song, not from Rivers' direct perspective.  and We are all on Drugs is about overstimulation by the media.  But I'm sure they've done some drugs in the past.

BryanD said:

Seriously? I know a heap of other fans who think that it means this as well. Remember that Rivers even says in the song "everyone's a little queer...", it's not too much of a stretch by any means.

natecopsey said:
whatdafuck?

BryanD said:

who cares i mean if you think about it everybody does drugs at least once in there lifetime it no big deal

Hmm... well if you're being serious, that's an interesting take on the 'might have smoked a few in my time, but never thought it was a crime.  I knew the day would surely come when I'd truly settle down...'  I'd rather think he isn't gay, though, and have always thought the line meant 'I've smoked pot a few times, but always thought there'd be a time in my life when I'd settle down (stop doing drugs, marry, get serious about a career, etc.)

Again, assuming you are being serioius, the part in 'Pink Triangle' where he says 'If everyone's a little queer, why can't she be a little straight?' I'd also disagree on that one as well, since I believe he is making a humorous play on a saying that was around well before the word 'queer' meant gay.  He's using the old meaning of the world queer (weird or strange)--a quality that according to the saying nearly everyone possesses even though most like to think that they don't--and immediately playing it by means of its more recent meaning of 'gay' against the current meaning of 'straight' (heterosexual.)

But that's the good thing about music... it can mean to you what you want it to mean.

Definitely wouldn't stop being a fan if they do use drugs, even though I myself haven't ever...  Since I guess alot of people do try them at some point.

pinecone said:
who cares i mean if you think about it everybody does drugs at least once in there lifetime it no big deal
If you think works of art such as songs, art, or literature should be taken on their own and completely separated from the biographical details of their authors, I guess I can see your point.  For some fans, though, it's fun to try and see an autobiographical element in the songs.

i guess i assumed more people would realize that this is a pretty stupid question.
what is this s***.

BryanD said:
If you think works of art such as songs, art, or literature should be taken on their own and completely separated from the biographical details of their authors, I guess I can see your point.  For some fans, though, it's fun to try and see an autobiographical element in the songs.

I don't want to instigate problems here, just wondering why you don't think he's serious?  it's not an illogical assumption at all.  I'm not saying that's definitely what it means, because you're right, the good thing about music is that you can intrepret it how you wish.  But it's not a ridiculous interpretation at all, in my opinion.

Just sayin'. Peace.
BryanD said:

Hmm... well if you're being serious, that's an interesting take on the 'might have smoked a few in my time, but never thought it was a crime.  I knew the day would surely come when I'd truly settle down...'  I'd rather think he isn't gay, though, and have always thought the line meant 'I've smoked pot a few times, but always thought there'd be a time in my life when I'd settle down (stop doing drugs, marry, get serious about a career, etc.)

Again, assuming you are being serioius, the part in 'Pink Triangle' where he says 'If everyone's a little queer, why can't she be a little straight?' I'd also disagree on that one as well, since I believe he is making a humorous play on a saying that was around well before the word 'queer' meant gay.  He's using the old meaning of the world queer (weird or strange)--a quality that according to the saying nearly everyone possesses even though most like to think that they don't--and immediately playing it by means of its more recent meaning of 'gay' against the current meaning of 'straight' (heterosexual.)

But that's the good thing about music... it can mean to you what you want it to mean.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video