Musicians & Fans of Weezer - The SFTBH Cover Project is looking for you.

Howdy, everyone!

   A few months ago, I started a discussion on these boards about something us at The Weezer Cover Project are putting together. If, by chance, you've read that post, then this will be mostly old news for you. This is something of a re-introduction for some of the folks out there who might have missed it the first time.

   Anyway, as you may have gathered already, The Weezer Cover Project, a little Youtube instrumental cover project, want to collaborate with Weezer fans from around the world on a fan-made version of SFTBH. We are looking to be as historically acurate as possible but there is also a lot of room to include a lot of each person's own creativity as well. Participants will have be able to voice their opinions on the arrangements, track order, etc. Over the past few months, we've gotten a nice amount of submissions, but we are still have a long way to go. Most parts for all the songs are still open for submissions. We are looking for people to send submissions of individual vocal, guitar, bass, drum, piano, synth orchestral instruments or anything else might be cool and fit into any of the SFTBH pieces.

 

All the information can be found at the official blog page...

 

http://sftbhproject.blogspot.com/

 

Any questions, comments or ideas? You can leave them at the address above, here on our weezer.com profile page, or at our Youtube channel

 

http://www.youtube.com/user/WeezerCoversProject

 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon.

 

 

The Weezer Cover Project

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The weezer cover project is awesome. 
I seriously hope someone is contributing the theremin solo for YWGWMT.

For the most part, I agree with what you're saying. I'm approaching this project as a Weezer fan and don't have any intention of changing or deviating from the songs themselves. I'm merely suggesting that there are some select places where additional instrumentation can be subtly added to enhance the experience of listening to SFTBH. I want to keep this as close to the original recordings as possible. The overall "mission statement" of the project is "What would fully conceived, arranged and recorded version of the album sound like had it been finished". I'll give you and example;

The version of "Come To My Pod" from the Alone albums features just vocals and acoustic guitar with sparse bass, drums and synth toward the end. Would it work just as the demo version was done? Yes. Will it end up being exactly the same with no additions? It might. In fact, I see no need to really add anything to it at all. But if someone comes up with a small addition that suits the song and doesn't serve as a distraction, its' worth thinking about. 

 

I want this to be a group effort in all ways. People who participate in the project are not just going to record parts and be done. They also get to hear versions of the material and offer opinions or criticisms on what they like and don't like. Maybe we'll have some additional parts, maybe we won't. I just don't shoot down potentially great ideas before we get to hear them.


David Stepp (DJS92491) said:

I'm all for being experimental, but let's not deviate from the theme either.  It's a space rock opera.  Anything or any instrument that deviates from the theme I'm against.  Then again, it is your project, but there may be people who share the same opinion as I do.

 

It would also be important not to play the instruments all at once.  This isn't exactly a hootenanny I'd imagine...

Wow! Now that's getting daring. I imagine that solo was done with just a Moog synthesizer. If there is ANYONE out there that can pull that solo off with a theremin, then my hat's off to you. That would be astoundingly epic. If any album could use a cleverly placed theremin, this is the album.

Rae said:
I seriously hope someone is contributing the theremin solo for YWGWMT.
Excellent! Welcome aboard. You're free to start contributing to any of the songs you'ld like. Just be sure to refer to the blog page listed at the top of the thread for directions on how to submit stuff. If I had to choose, I would like to start getting the beginning of the album done, so "Blast Off" and "Who You Callin' b****" would be the place. I am also looking for anyone who would like to submit their own idea on how to intro the album.

CrackerJack said:

I play Drums, Guitar, Keyboard, and i sing well. Tell me what you want me to do, and count me in.

 

Someone a while back did their own SFTBH and they intro'd it with a rocket ship countdown. Basic and obvious, but it worked.

The Weezer Cover Project said:
Excellent! Welcome aboard. You're free to start contributing to any of the songs you'ld like. Just be sure to refer to the blog page listed at the top of the thread for directions on how to submit stuff. If I had to choose, I would like to start getting the beginning of the album done, so "Blast Off" and "Who You Callin' b****" would be the place. I am also looking for anyone who would like to submit their own idea on how to intro the album.

CrackerJack said:

I play Drums, Guitar, Keyboard, and i sing well. Tell me what you want me to do, and count me in.

 

And they played the countdown to "Ooh" from Alone I.

hintofcoolness said:
Someone a while back did their own SFTBH and they intro'd it with a rocket ship countdown. Basic and obvious, but it worked.

The Weezer Cover Project said:
Excellent! Welcome aboard. You're free to start contributing to any of the songs you'ld like. Just be sure to refer to the blog page listed at the top of the thread for directions on how to submit stuff. If I had to choose, I would like to start getting the beginning of the album done, so "Blast Off" and "Who You Callin' b****" would be the place. I am also looking for anyone who would like to submit their own idea on how to intro the album.

CrackerJack said:

I play Drums, Guitar, Keyboard, and i sing well. Tell me what you want me to do, and count me in.

 

that's right! good memory

Paperface said:
And they played the countdown to "Ooh" from Alone I.

hintofcoolness said:
Someone a while back did their own SFTBH and they intro'd it with a rocket ship countdown. Basic and obvious, but it worked.

The Weezer Cover Project said:
Excellent! Welcome aboard. You're free to start contributing to any of the songs you'ld like. Just be sure to refer to the blog page listed at the top of the thread for directions on how to submit stuff. If I had to choose, I would like to start getting the beginning of the album done, so "Blast Off" and "Who You Callin' b****" would be the place. I am also looking for anyone who would like to submit their own idea on how to intro the album.

CrackerJack said:

I play Drums, Guitar, Keyboard, and i sing well. Tell me what you want me to do, and count me in.

 

Yeah. That is right. It sounds cool and it would work so well. Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to go with something else. Two reasons. 1) I can't find any mention of "Ohh" being considered for that album. It's a shame because it would work so well. If the Pinkerton Diaries state that it could have been the intro, then I will absolutely amend this, but otherwise, I don't think it was intended for SFTBH. 2) The countdown/space shuttle launch sound effect is also a really cool idea, but because it's already been used by someone else, technically it's their idea and using it would be ripping off their creativity. I think we will be able to come up with something just as cool.

hintofcoolness said:
that's right! good memory

How about a muffled guitar drone of the opening chord? That progressively gets louder and more distinguished. It's hard to explain, I guess.

The Weezer Cover Project said:
Yeah. That is right. It sounds cool and it would work so well. Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to go with something else. Two reasons. 1) I can't find any mention of "Ohh" being considered for that album. It's a shame because it would work so well. If the Pinkerton Diaries state that it could have been the intro, then I will absolutely amend this, but otherwise, I don't think it was intended for SFTBH. 2) The countdown/space shuttle launch sound effect is also a really cool idea, but because it's already been used by someone else, technically it's their idea and using it would be ripping off their creativity. I think we will be able to come up with something just as cool.

hintofcoolness said:
that's right! good memory

That's certainly the kind of idea that could work. Try to put a some versions together and see what you come up with. I'd love to hear how they come out.

Paperface said:
How about a muffled guitar drone of the opening chord? That progressively gets louder and more distinguished. It's hard to explain, I guess.

The Weezer Cover Project said:
Yeah. That is right. It sounds cool and it would work so well. Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to go with something else. Two reasons. 1) I can't find any mention of "Ohh" being considered for that album. It's a shame because it would work so well. If the Pinkerton Diaries state that it could have been the intro, then I will absolutely amend this, but otherwise, I don't think it was intended for SFTBH. 2) The countdown/space shuttle launch sound effect is also a really cool idea, but because it's already been used by someone else, technically it's their idea and using it would be ripping off their creativity. I think we will be able to come up with something just as cool.

hintofcoolness said:
that's right! good memory

Hmm yeah that might work. Trying to think of "things that blast off" in that Family Feud type of way. Basically something that escalates prior to "Blast Off!"

 

How about something like this as a sound effect, WITH (or without) a muffled guitar tone that steadily becomes more clear as the water comes to boil and the whistle sounds....

 

The Weezer Cover Project said:

That's certainly the kind of idea that could work. Try to put a some versions together and see what you come up with. I'd love to hear how they come out.

Paperface said:
How about a muffled guitar drone of the opening chord? That progressively gets louder and more distinguished. It's hard to explain, I guess.

The Weezer Cover Project said:
Yeah. That is right. It sounds cool and it would work so well. Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to go with something else. Two reasons. 1) I can't find any mention of "Ohh" being considered for that album. It's a shame because it would work so well. If the Pinkerton Diaries state that it could have been the intro, then I will absolutely amend this, but otherwise, I don't think it was intended for SFTBH. 2) The countdown/space shuttle launch sound effect is also a really cool idea, but because it's already been used by someone else, technically it's their idea and using it would be ripping off their creativity. I think we will be able to come up with something just as cool.

hintofcoolness said:
that's right! good memory

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video