I don't know a whole lot about the production process, but I have been noticing lately that one of the elements that I really respond to are aggressively-miked drums. Listening to Pinkerton, for example, the drums sound like they are ready to jump out of your stereo and the same can be said about Maladroit. On other albums, they sound compressed and part of the background tapestry. It may just be my personal tastes, but I've determined it really makes a difference in my appreciation for a tune. 

Anyone with knowledge of recording/production have any thoughts on this?

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who's Mike?

Oh, maybe you mean "mic".

ummm... thanks for that. I didn't know there was an authoritative abbreviation of microphone, especially when you're adding suffixes to it that don't play nice with C. 

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=mike-ing+drums

Notice the "did you mean" section.

Yeah, yeah, I get it. It still looks too much like milking to me.
Ok just saw you are not recording.  Sorry.  There is a lot to be saud with having the right mikes too.  Sometimes in prduction there are lots of tricks to make an impressive sound one being reversing a snare track for more of a bite.  Is there something specific you were looking at.

Pariyatti said:
There is a fair bit of compression on the Pink drums but what kind of studio set up do you have?

Justin said:
Yeah, yeah, I get it. It still looks too much like milking to me.

Thanks for responding in earnest. 

I don't know much about engineering, but the drums on Pinkerton (and Maladroit) sound like they're coming through your speakers, where many other songs they sound distant. 

The only thing I know is that on The Green album, Weezer wanted the album to sound compressed so that's why it sounds like that, but i'm not sure about the other albums.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video