who do you think is the best weezer bass player so far? honestly hmmm... idk. thats a hard one.

Views: 800

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If Rivers could've pushed his ego to the side for just a few months in 2001 and decided to write some music while Mikey went through his rehabilitation I feel we could've had not only a better follow up to Green than Maladroit, but we could've also kept the perfect fit bassist that is Mikey (though I said above that I like Matt more I feel that a lot of my love comes from the fact that he was with the band during the period where they put out their best output. Mikey was probably just as good as Matt, in retrospect, but because he wasn't around to create a classic album with the band I don't see him in that "elite" lineup). I think it is extremely unfair that Rivers just decided to push along full steam ahead after loosing not just a bassist, but his longtime friend. Where was the compassion, Rivers?
Well I think the only thing you can say to that is... you don't know what was going through any of their heads at the time, and you most likely never will,you might have some idea, maybe you think your SURE what really happened, but as i've said, the truth is you don't know, so stop judging and moaning and cheer up. Anyway, Scott is deffo my favourite. 

James Stockwell (Jamekae) said:
If Rivers could've pushed his ego to the side for just a few months in 2001 and decided to write some music while Mikey went through his rehabilitation I feel we could've had not only a better follow up to Green than Maladroit, but we could've also kept the perfect fit bassist that is Mikey (though I said above that I like Matt more I feel that a lot of my love comes from the fact that he was with the band during the period where they put out their best output. Mikey was probably just as good as Matt, in retrospect, but because he wasn't around to create a classic album with the band I don't see him in that "elite" lineup). I think it is extremely unfair that Rivers just decided to push along full steam ahead after loosing not just a bassist, but his longtime friend. Where was the compassion, Rivers?

Matt had a great stage presence and seemed to be able to call out/stand up to Rivers when he didn't like something. Then again, he was an a****** (see Mykel Carli tribute show and ripping off STFBH). Then again he is a pretty talented a****** that wrote some great songs with The Rentals.

Mikey was hilarious in every interview I ever read/listened to/watched. I only had the privilege of seeming him live with =W= once. Of all of them, he seemed to be the most naturally charismatic. His antics on the original demo of burndt jamb are still great to this day.

Scott has been devastating since Day 1. He plays everything tight live, and all around just seems to be an easy going guy. Also i love seeing him and Rivers jam on the DVD and on those ustream vids.

Honestly I can appreciate all 3. But I'm going to go with Scott.

We got Mikey on all the s2k songs and the first batch of maladroit demos (aka s2k1 demos). Also he played/sang bgvs on Velouria. Don't forget that.

Im sick of hearing that story of Matt telling Rivers to put Butterfly on Pinkerton, it was one song and its not even an amazing one. This is the only example people give for Matt's "Creative Influence" on weezer.
Matt didnt keep "Rivers in line", thats the most moronic thing anyone has ever said on these boards. You seem to think Weezer's change in style and Rivers' change in songwriting was caused by Matt's departure, it wasnt. Rivers was upset with how badly Pinkerton did and so focused on making the band big again, he wanted/wants to be a star with hit songs.

Rivers still trusted Matt Sharp's creative judgement though as he came went to Matt asking if Butterfly would be a suitable song to place on Pinkerton. If a similar scenario occurred with Scott I see a very different outcome taking place. Even if creatively he didn't offer a whole lot to the big picture, Matt kept Rivers in line.

Joey JoJo Junior Shabadoo said:

As far as Weezer's basslines go they've never been anything amazing. Weezer never had a Carlos D for instance, the band's music has never been about it's basslines. Rivers has always written fairly simple basslines for people to play so on a technical level none of the Weezer bassists really stand out.

Matt Sharp seems to be the Bernard Butler of Weezer. No more or less technically talented than the guys who replaced him however he is associated with the bands best work. But then who's to say if Matt stayed in the band all along that Weezer wouldn't have gone down the downward spiral that they have? After all, Weezer is Cuomo's baby. And lets not forget Brian and Pat were essential to the groups 90s works as well.

This.

hintofcoolness said:
that's what she said
damn straight. you tell him mister daniel!

Mister Daniel said:
Well I think the only thing you can say to that is... you don't know what was going through any of their heads at the time, and you most likely never will,you might have some idea, maybe you think your SURE what really happened, but as i've said, the truth is you don't know, so stop judging and moaning and cheer up. Anyway, Scott is deffo my favourite. 

Technically it's Shriner.  I thought Mikey's contribution was the most significant, however.  He played on their best album,  brought attitude and looked the part more than the other guys.  He gave them an edge that they didn't have before and haven't had since.  It's a shame it didn't work out. 
You think Pinkerton's overrated, you aren't entitled to an opinion.

Indiekid said:
Im sick of hearing that story of Matt telling Rivers to put Butterfly on Pinkerton, it was one song and its not even an amazing one. This is the only example people give for Matt's "Creative Influence" on weezer.
Matt didnt keep "Rivers in line", thats the most moronic thing anyone has ever said on these boards. You seem to think Weezer's change in style and Rivers' change in songwriting was caused by Matt's departure, it wasnt. Rivers was upset with how badly Pinkerton did and so focused on making the band big again, he wanted/wants to be a star with hit songs.
Scott Shriner is the man.... that is all.

this is a easy debate. matt sharp will always be liked because he was the first and on the first to albums. mikey was great in interviews but couldnt keep it together. scott is the man, great bass player, great backing vocals and he is what weezer should have always been. 4 guys having fun. i seen the memories tour and i do wish matt was ther for that tour, maybe next time.  long lve the weez.

Scott because he is so loyal to weezer and he does have talent :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video