who do you think is the best weezer bass player so far? honestly hmmm... idk. thats a hard one.

Views: 800

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that's what she said

In a fight...like the title gave me the vibe of this being about, Scott and his devastating arms.

As a bass guitarist, Matt Sharp.

I like Matt because he was awesome, but I don't like him because he left weezer. 
I like Mikey because he was hilarious. Too bad he was a drug addict. 
I like Scott because he has been loyal to weezer for all these years. 

I'll go with scott. 

Matt and Mikey gave Weezer humor.  When interviewed...Scotts alittle dull, Rivers is quiet, Brian tries to be funny, but Matt and Mikey were the only ones with a sense of humor (though if Pat was with one of the bassist, then we were in for a good time).

Old Weezer Interview > New Ones

As a bass player? Skill?  I don't think that really matters...Undone...Say it aint so...Island in the sun...GMWEL...there not all that complicated, you don't need a "grandmaster" to play in Weezer.

I miss the falsetto quite honestly.

Matt brought so much, Mikey could have brought so much...Scott...brought some stuff.

I use cocaine to ease the pain and withdrawal from Matt, he isn't coming back so you better find some kind of drug to use to distract yourself.

Scott for sure.
Whah?!  I don't know why so many people spend so much time dwelling on Weezer's past bass players.  Yes, they were good, but Scott rocks, he completely and totally rocks.  My husband and I were right in front of him during the Pinkerton night of the Memories Tour shows in NYC and we were COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY by his talent and just plain awesomeness (and plus, he seems like a really nice guy!)
In my opinion I think Scott is the best bass player. Just listen to all the bass lines in Maladroit. They're pretty awesome.  Mikey was pretty good, but seeing as how we only got to hear him on one album I don't really think we got to hear his full potential. Matt was good as well, he really had a presence about him on stage and he brought a lot to the table on the first two records. But as far as sheer talent goes, I think Scott is the best bassist.
ditto that.

The dreWid said:
I like Matt because he was awesome, but I don't like him because he left weezer. 
I like Mikey because he was hilarious. Too bad he was a drug addict. 
I like Scott because he has been loyal to weezer for all these years. 

I'll go with scott. 
Mikey. I mean, he probably didn't add that much musically to Weezer but every interview or bit of footage I've seen him in with Weezer is hilarious. And he's the best looking of the three. Or at least, he was.
This thread is about bass players, not back up singers so you cant say matt was a better bassist because of his falsetto backing vocals. None of the bass players have made much of a difference to Weezer to be honest

Jack F Underwood said:

Matt and Mikey gave Weezer humor.  When interviewed...Scotts alittle dull, Rivers is quiet, Brian tries to be funny, but Matt and Mikey were the only ones with a sense of humor (though if Pat was with one of the bassist, then we were in for a good time).

As a bass player? Skill?  I don't think that really matters...Undone...Say it aint so...Island in the sun...GMWEL...there not all that complicated, you don't need a "grandmaster" to play in Weezer.

Matt brought so much, Mikey could have brought so much...Scott...brought some stuff.

I use cocaine to ease the pain and withdrawal from Matt, he isn't coming back so you better find some kind of drug to use to distract yourself.

Dude, what the hell? It's part of their job to do backup vocals. Yes, they primarily play bass, but that's not their sole contribution to the band, so we can bring in other factors to help us choose which bassist we prefer.

On a technical level, I think all three are really talented guys. While Scott's a really terrific guy, he's definitely not my favourite Weezer bassist because I can't recall a musical direction he has tried to push the band into that I have agreed with (he wanted 'This is the Way' on "The Red Album" over 'Dreamin'', he planted the seed that turned into the crap warehouse that is 'Cold Dark World' and he came in and rockified Maladroit up in '01/'02, stripping the charm from songs like Listen Up and High Up Above D:). It's not a personal thing since he is such a nice guy, we just have different music tastes. I really like Mikey and Matt, both are really funny and energetic and act as a foil to Rivers' collected personality and I feel they fit the Weezer aesthetic the best, both sonically and visually. Matt had that impossibly amazing falsetto and knack for laying down fitting/charming backing vocals so I think he one ups Mikey because of it.

Indiekid said:

This thread is about bass players, not back up singers so you cant say matt was a better bassist because of his falsetto backing vocals. None of the bass players have made much of a difference to Weezer to be honest

Jack F Underwood said:

Took the words out of my mouth.

Wes Reding said:
In my opinion I think Scott is the best bass player. Just listen to all the bass lines in Maladroit. They're pretty awesome.  Mikey was pretty good, but seeing as how we only got to hear him on one album I don't really think we got to hear his full potential. Matt was good as well, he really had a presence about him on stage and he brought a lot to the table on the first two records. But as far as sheer talent goes, I think Scott is the best bassist.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video