Maladroit is weezer's best since pinkerton and possibly their best sound ever!

I know there is probably already a discussion on maladroit somewhere but i couldn't find it. I listen to weezer all the time, especially lately because im suping my self up for the memories concert. I was just listening to maladroit and damn, it is good! Now before you jump down my throat I would probably always consider blue and pinkerton their best work. But i must admit, I think the sound of maladroit is amazing. If your anything like me you want to hear more rocking out by weezer, and i have to say i think maladroit has the most of that. I mean after all rivers is a metal head at heart and wants to shred and what not. Im not saying that these songs are their best songs or its their best album but it deserves alot of credit. I don't think weezer ever got the credit they deserved for this album.

I think by this point in their career they had really learned how to have fun on their instruments and make it work with a song. Its almost like a huge jam session, I love it!

(and this is just my opinion)

any thoughts? 

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maladroit is not their best sound nor is it their best album since pinkerton.

It is your opinion of course but those songs are so half baked. They sound like demos.

Red had the best production since pink, the dynamics on that album are incredible and with a different tracklist would of been the best post pink.

Hurley does a fine job too, not production wise but songwise.

Agreed. What's frustrating is that even as half baked as it is, I prefer some of the demo versions. December loses all subtlety in its arrangement and Death and Destruction is paired with some atrocious lyrics.

Daniel Gasparini ( Danorganplaye said:

Maladroit is not their best sound nor is it their best album since pinkerton.

It is your opinion of course but those songs are so half baked. They sound like demos.

Red had the best production since pink, the dynamics on that album are incredible and with a different tracklist would of been the best post pink.

Hurley does a fine job too, not production wise but songwise.

After Pinkerton The Best Album Is "Make Belive". best producing and the sound is much  better to maladroit

As already said, I feel most of the songs are very 'bare bones' and don't have too much to offer. I can understand that this makes them less easy to criticise (if they only aim to be short, simple, riff based rockers they do their job, right?) but that doesn't mean they are the the best post-pinkerton. I'd rather have a weezer being ambitious and failing rather than re-hashing safe/simple numbers like most of the maladroit tracks (in fact, some of the worst songs on recent albums tend to do just that)

Actually, I think the album was very poorly produced and lost alot of the impact the songs could have had (I think Pat recently commented something along the same lines).

Yeah I agree that Maladroit is underrated too.  I would rate it in fifth place (Pink, Blue, Red, MB, Maladroit, Hurley, Green, DTFM then Raditude

I think mala is extremely underrated. I think it fell for what green did, as far as the weezer fanbase goes, by promising one thing and delivering another. Green promised a straight forward, rocking record of weezer at their poppiest. we got an album that instead aimed to communicate without emotion and create a kind of pretty, yet lifeless, blissed out sound. don't get me wrong, i love green, but when we were told "helmet meets hard days night" and what we got wasn't really "early beatles with big guitars" as much as it was compressed sunshine with spacey guitars and uniquely uninvolved vocals, i understand why so many fans were disappointed.

Similarly, with mala we were promised a heavy, riffy sound with weezer at it's most metal and we got... well, maladroit. Don't get me wrong, love the record, but it's not what we were promised. Now don't get me wrong, there are traces of this harder sound on the record, from some of the songs themselves to the overall playing on most of the track. Yet green still had traces of the 90's alternative rock+50/50's pop, however it is no SS2K (an album which fully fulfills this concept to write the perfect pop song/make the perfect pop/rock record).

Leading up to mala, Rivers was focusing on writing classic riffs, weezer was playing heavier and heavier, tighter and tighter, and the Cuomo song writing machine was creating some great RAWKIN solos. But when they hit the studio, Rivers famously got involved on the message boards, essentially giving us exactly what we asked for. Unfortunately, everyone wants something different. This results in mala being a very schizophrenic record which many have chalked off to be an underbaked record of demo quality jams. While there is a little merit to this complaint, mala would definitely have improved from a less rushed release schedule, it is unfair since the album is extremely good.

Is it a metal masterpiece of hard rockin shred-fests? from time to time. What I think mala is, is a balanced weezer record showing off a little of all the flavors of weezer. We got SS2K/Green style pop in fishin and dope nose, which I think both sound a little weird with the pop-metal guitar fills. We got riff driven hard rock like take control and american gigilo. Probably the best moments of the records however come in the ballads like burndt jamb and death and destruction. So wonderfully out there. without a doubt some of the best songs in weezer's canon. Also, gotta mention the great aural aesthetic of the record, fantastic self production. the album does sound of a whole sonically.

My only complaint would be that it sounds like weezer couldn't decide on what they wanted to do. Did they wanna go with the more instrument focused jammy approach and deliver an epic metal record, or listen to their fans and go along with Cuomo's ideals to take over the world at the time. as it stands, the records sounds like they wanna pull off both. Which leads to a few awkward moments such as the much maligned mala solos that some fans complain as being just tacked onto songs and not really fitting and generally just kind of being masturbatory and going nowhere. I think this album would have been much better if Rivers had just gone with his gut creatively, and given himself and the band a little bit more time to put the record together. Also, if he wasn't being such a notorious a****** to his fans and being so damn dictatorial with the band, this album might be better remembered

So is it their best ever? I don't think so. It's a remarkable record, without a doubt one of the greatest rock records ever (much like most weezer albums, released and unreleased ;) ), yet it just reeks of potential to me. I enjoy maladroit, but would much more enjoy a pure metal shred fest. Imagine weezer at it's heaviest, jamming out the best metal songs of Cuomo with intense solos that make blue and pink solos look like childs play. that is certainly enticing. Maybe if we're lucky, Cuomo will put together an SS2K style release for the early mala demos and performances out there and make the metal masterpiece he was originally aiming for.

You write great responses!

SS2K PUNK said:

I think mala is extremely underrated. I think it fell for what green did, as far as the weezer fanbase goes, by promising one thing and delivering another. Green promised a straight forward, rocking record of weezer at their poppiest. we got an album that instead aimed to communicate without emotion and create a kind of pretty, yet lifeless, blissed out sound. don't get me wrong, i love green, but when we were told "helmet meets hard days night" and what we got wasn't really "early beatles with big guitars" as much as it was compressed sunshine with spacey guitars and uniquely uninvolved vocals, i understand why so many fans were disappointed.

Similarly, with mala we were promised a heavy, riffy sound with weezer at it's most metal and we got... well, maladroit. Don't get me wrong, love the record, but it's not what we were promised. Now don't get me wrong, there are traces of this harder sound on the record, from some of the songs themselves to the overall playing on most of the track. Yet green still had traces of the 90's alternative rock+50/50's pop, however it is no SS2K (an album which fully fulfills this concept to write the perfect pop song/make the perfect pop/rock record).

Leading up to mala, Rivers was focusing on writing classic riffs, weezer was playing heavier and heavier, tighter and tighter, and the Cuomo song writing machine was creating some great RAWKIN solos. But when they hit the studio, Rivers famously got involved on the message boards, essentially giving us exactly what we asked for. Unfortunately, everyone wants something different. This results in mala being a very schizophrenic record which many have chalked off to be an underbaked record of demo quality jams. While there is a little merit to this complaint, mala would definitely have improved from a less rushed release schedule, it is unfair since the album is extremely good.

Is it a metal masterpiece of hard rockin shred-fests? from time to time. What I think mala is, is a balanced weezer record showing off a little of all the flavors of weezer. We got SS2K/Green style pop in fishin and dope nose, which I think both sound a little weird with the pop-metal guitar fills. We got riff driven hard rock like take control and american gigilo. Probably the best moments of the records however come in the ballads like burndt jamb and death and destruction. So wonderfully out there. without a doubt some of the best songs in weezer's canon. Also, gotta mention the great aural aesthetic of the record, fantastic self production. the album does sound of a whole sonically.

My only complaint would be that it sounds like weezer couldn't decide on what they wanted to do. Did they wanna go with the more instrument focused jammy approach and deliver an epic metal record, or listen to their fans and go along with Cuomo's ideals to take over the world at the time. as it stands, the records sounds like they wanna pull off both. Which leads to a few awkward moments such as the much maligned mala solos that some fans complain as being just tacked onto songs and not really fitting and generally just kind of being masturbatory and going nowhere. I think this album would have been much better if Rivers had just gone with his gut creatively, and given himself and the band a little bit more time to put the record together. Also, if he wasn't being such a notorious a****** to his fans and being so damn dictatorial with the band, this album might be better remembered

So is it their best ever? I don't think so. It's a remarkable record, without a doubt one of the greatest rock records ever (much like most weezer albums, released and unreleased ;) ), yet it just reeks of potential to me. I enjoy maladroit, but would much more enjoy a pure metal shred fest. Imagine weezer at it's heaviest, jamming out the best metal songs of Cuomo with intense solos that make blue and pink solos look like childs play. that is certainly enticing. Maybe if we're lucky, Cuomo will put together an SS2K style release for the early mala demos and performances out there and make the metal masterpiece he was originally aiming for.

I really enjoy the maladroit sound. Mainly due to the layered distorted guitars, powerful (shredding in some cases) solos, and the overall good melodies of the album. However, I do believe that the songs could be a bit more rockin'. Rivers should have belted out on more of the songs and did some of his awesome screams that we all know from the blue album and other early material. Also, a more raw sounding recording process would be more than welcome. Although all the songs have great potential to be heavy, it didn't exactly deliver with maladroit because of the clean, green album type vocals and the squeaky clean poppy guitars. If they more feedback, fuzz, and noise, it would be a much better album. Although, it is still an awesome album, yet a few shortcomings hold it back from being a totally wicked masterpiece of proportion so epic that you brains melt. (I would rate it probably about 8.5 out of 10.)
I love the Maladroit sound. There were some not-so-good tracks that brought down the album though. They could've put better Maladroit-era material in.

I do love me some Death and Destruction.
~~a true musical accomplishment~~
I think that DTFM is the best album post Pink and pre Pink and during Pink (if that makes sense). I think they did best job on that album. And I agree with you, Maladroit is very underrated. It's a great album.
OP has it correct. Maladroit = best post-Pink

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video