Love him or hate him (Love him :D) he belongs on the Memories tour, period. It would be morally wrong not to at least invite him. I can not even fathom Scott attempting to replicate the falsettos and the stage energy that only Matt could deliver. I think it would be insulting to us not to have him on the tour. What it all comes down to is that even now, Matt knows those songs better and truly just belongs. Scott was probably still blowing Vanilla Ice back then. And for all the Scott lovers out there, there is truly no hope for you. Can you honestly say you'd take that gold toothed fairy over Matt Freggin Sharp?

Views: 698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, that equals true. how a record is mixed is no indication of the bass players ability.

what it all comes down is style and presence. all 3 are fine bass players. can't understand why people think matt is d*** though. he's never done anything bad to anyone here, besides say he would rather not work with the band after being kicked out.

Radioactive said:
Prominent =/= better bass player
That's due to sound production, which Pinkerton was self-produced..
Know your onion!

Compare the bass riff of "Only in Dreams" to "Memories". "Only in Dreams" is very simple but also very loud compared to "Memories", where it is overshadowed by the other instruments and yet is a much more complex riff.

next week's weather said:
well, seeing rivers backed out of the "history of pinkerton" article that was recently published, but matt and karl both did it, i imagine those two still talk at least. and no, scott is not a better bass player than matt. matt's basslines were so much more prominent on the recordings, especially the entirety of pinkerton. and i don't know about the current tour, but in the past scott didn't even play the basslines for some of the pinkerton songs, and just played the root notes.

it's stupid to say these kinds of things, seriously, learn what you're talking about.
read this comment... this guy knows what he's talking about...

Dungeon Master said:
a lot of the comments here are just plain silly. weezer is a band that attracts top tier talent. when they need to fill a part they can get the best. however, the mere face that a bass player can ape a line from one of the former players is really nothing. that is a prerequisite for the job.

the bass player that have been with weezer are all great, in different ways.

I would rant them in the following order...

matt- I specifically enjoyed his bass lines from pinkerton. it is incredible work. He writes really good songs. he can play a bunch of instruments. I like his voice. I feel he brought a sense of balance to the band as he wasn't RC's whipping boy. he had good ideas and knows how to get them done.

scott- um, he gets the job done. he seems down to earth and reasonable. nothing to comes to mind at the moment as a base line that really knocks my socks off, but i'm sure if i listen to few songs I would find something. he can sing ok. I liked king. he doesn't seem to be much of a writer though and probably just goes with the flow of what RC tells him.

Mikey- he only did one album, which he might have had very little input in. RC might have very well come in with demos that were close to what we heard on the final green album. doesn't really sing on the album, as I think its just RC doing all the backing vocals. doesn't write, at least on that album. not sure if he's done any solo work. doesn't play anything else.
the trouble with weezer fans is that RC has convinced many of us that our opinions really matter...this is not the case especially when it comes to personnel...
well said.

personally I've never felt much like the band has given a damn about fans opinions. if they did, things like the pinkerton deluxe would be quite different.

SPAZMATIK1 said:
the trouble with weezer fans is that RC has convinced many of us that our opinions really matter...this is not the case especially when it comes to personnel...

runnersdialzero said:

☺♥ fück ♥☺ said:
it's been a decade plus, time to get the fück over it.
eh, people will never get over this sort of thing. its the way the world turns...

placemats said:

runnersdialzero said:

☺♥ fück ♥☺ said:

Dungeon Master said:
eh, people will never get over this sort of thing. its the way the world turns...

placemats said:
And leaves you here?

runnersdialzero said:

☺♥ fück ♥☺ said:
Scott seems to be the only bassist committed to Weezer. If Matt didn't make an effort, he doesn't belong on the tour. That is all.
this really doesn't make any sense. what the hell are you talking about? if matt didn't make an effort with what? he's not in the band. what would he have to make an effort with? the band DIDN'T ask to do the tour. its not like Matt committed to do the tour and then didn't show up to rehearse.

Rae said:
Scott seems to be the only bassist committed to Weezer. If Matt didn't make an effort, he doesn't belong on the tour. That is all.
You are being mean. Scott is a cool dude, Matt is awesome, but don't diss Scott. Not very nice.
yes, scott does seem like a stand up guy.

Weezer fan said:
You are being mean. Scott is a cool dude, Matt is awesome, but don't diss Scott. Not very nice.
He is.

Dungeon Master said:
yes, scott does seem like a stand up guy.

Weezer fan said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video