The best word I know to use to describe the reaction to this album is "mixed". It's safe to say that this was the general reaction, but we're the fans dammit and I don't about you but there is so many things I love about it and a tiny sum of things I detest about it. The interesting thing is we all love and dislike different things about it, that is, with exeption of one thing( I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with Shmerfect Shmituation). Anyway, what do you all think? Let the epic discusion of love and hate begin!

Views: 1079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yeah not a fan at all. this one and hurley just leave me cold.

it's just a real stale and plodding album imo. lacks energy and overall catchy songs with good melodies. sure, there are a couple of standouts. i like peace and perfect situation.. and i have a soft spot for freak me out to. But i think they laboured over this one for to long. It all sounds way to slick and calculated at the end of the day. Green had that to but that album was full of infectious melodies.

you can see they were sort of stuck on where to go. its a real mixed bag.. they wanted to try new things but they did'nt really get anywhere. but they came back with a bang with Red. So all was forgiven!

I have disagree, MB was more of a conclusion to the weezer story told though the first four LPs. It seem to me to be another Pinkerton in terms of letting grow on you but unlike Pink there's just some stuff you will not like. Listen to tracks 3, 4, 7, 8 and for Globs sake 10 and 12 again to see what I mean.
The growing part, that is

if the album hasn't grown on him after all this time i'm pretty sure one more listen isn't going to change that.

Indierocks said:

I have disagree, MB was more of a conclusion to the weezer story told though the first four LPs. It seem to me to be another Pinkerton in terms of letting grow on you but unlike Pink there's just some stuff you will not like. Listen to tracks 3, 4, 7, 8 and for Globs sake 10 and 12 again to see what I mean.
You don't have to be a d*** Jihad.
Dammit, really? I knew my spelling and grammar was horribly off as I am typing this on my Apple device, I was really just going for casual conversation. Jeez, why are some Weezer fans such jerky trolls, I just wanted to talk about MB.

I agree with you that there are many likes and dislikes about this album, but for me its mainly likes. "Perfect Situation" is definitely my favourite off the album because I can relate to it, the lyrics are personal and the intro sounds a bit like something off Green even though "Beverly Hills" isn't one of their greatest, it is still very catchy and great for live shows. "Freak Me Out" is a very relaxing song and I like listening to it when I'm out at night, "My Best Friend" is also kind of a guilty pleasure because its quite cheesy, but I really like it because its a happy song. "We Are All On Drugs" is okay, but I don't think it was worhty enough to be a single, "Peace" and "Hold Me" are gems from this album with great solos and "This Is such A Pity" is a tough one because at first I didn't really like it, but the chorus kinda grew on me so I like the whole song a lot more than I did now. The intros on the last couple of songs kinda annoy me, but they all still have really good chorus' and solos, but "The Damage In Your Heart" does kinda annoy me a bit. I also would have liked the international bonus tracks to have been b-sides rather than live performcances, but they are still good. All in all it is my 5th favourite Weezer album and a very enjoyable album to listen to.

yeah not a fan at all. this one and hurley just leave me cold.

it's just a real stale and plodding album imo. lacks energy and overall catchy songs with good melodies. sure, there are a couple of standouts. i like peace and perfect situation.. and i have a soft spot for freak me out to. But i think they laboured over this one for to long. It all sounds way to slick and calculated at the end of the day. Green had that to but that album was full of infectious melodies.

you can see they were sort of stuck on where to go. its a real mixed bag.. they wanted to try new things but they did'nt really get anywhere. but they came back with a bang with Red. So all was forgiven!

Absolutely, couldn't say it any better. It's really painful to me how an amazing band like weezer and an gifted songwriter like RC can sound so incredible uninspired as on make believe and, even worse, hurley. the stupid pop punk production (that was supposed to be cool in the mainstream in the early 2000s) gives it [hurley] the rest.
but yeah, i know this should be about make believe so let me just say 1 sentence: embarrasing lyrics (for the most part; not because they're emotional but the way these emotions are expressed) and extremely boring musical arrangements (the songwriting wasn't actually that bad)

thankfully after make believe we got red and what we were missing: GREAT ROCK

so i have hopes for the hurley follow-up, too ;)

I found MB to be pretty good.

Only bad weezer album to me is most of Red album.

We all have very different Weezer opinions, and we all love different things about this band. I think Make Believe is best example of this, but there is still much more to be said.

And calling someone a d*** for making a valid point isn't jerky?  Come on bro.

Indierocks said:

Dammit, really? I knew my spelling and grammar was horribly off as I am typing this on my Apple device, I was really just going for casual conversation. Jeez, why are some Weezer fans such jerky trolls, I just wanted to talk about MB.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video