The best word I know to use to describe the reaction to this album is "mixed". It's safe to say that this was the general reaction, but we're the fans dammit and I don't about you but there is so many things I love about it and a tiny sum of things I detest about it. The interesting thing is we all love and dislike different things about it, that is, with exeption of one thing( I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with Shmerfect Shmituation). Anyway, what do you all think? Let the epic discusion of love and hate begin!

Views: 1079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've always thought that Make Believe is their third best album. Perfect Situation, This is Such a Pity, Peace, The Damage in Your Heart, Pardon Me, The Other Way, Freak Me Out, and Haunt You Every Day are all great songs. The others have some issues but I think they're a long way from bad. A lot of people complain about the production, but I've never had an issue with it. Overall it's a very good album. Obviously you could make a case for Green, Red, or Hurley (or DTFM), but I've always like this album.

I was like...

This was the last good weezer album. Not great, but good. I remember how upset I was when the first radio leak of Beverly Hills came out. I think that was the moment that would ultimately epitomize my relationship with weezer from that point onward. But much of the album has grown on me; it's a great example of layered guitar work, good songwriting, and good production. There really aren't any moments that live up to songs like "Hold Me," "The Damage in Your Heart," "Peace," or "Haunt You Every Day" or even the guitar solo from 'This is Such a Pity' on the records they have put out since then.

So again, I will say...the last good weezer record.

I'm glad they are re-releasing everything up to and including this one on 180 gram vinyl. Because they are the only albums I want.

(I know I am in the minority here, but I can't wait to have Maladroit on 180gram.)

P.S.

"My Best Friend" is the worst weezer song of all time

I'm just gunna outright say that it's awesome

I love all the albums for different reasons and listen to them depending on my mood :P

Being a more recent fan I took it upon myself to listen to all the albums in order ^-^ and Make Believe was my most listened to for quite a while :)

I really can't say which album is my top because I just love them all xD

I'm finding it hard to choose a song I like most from the album but if push comes to shove I'd have to say Perfect Situation.... My best friend.... We are all on Drugs.... I really don't know

All we can safely say from this is that I'm indecisive and it's a great album just like the others

But hey, opinion is opinion x)

What time is it....? Adventure Time!

Indierocks said:

I have disagree, MB was more of a conclusion to the weezer story told though the first four LPs. It seem to me to be another Pinkerton in terms of letting grow on you but unlike Pink there's just some stuff you will not like. Listen to tracks 3, 4, 7, 8 and for Globs sake 10 and 12 again to see what I mean.

I'm just gunna outright say that it's awesome

I love all the albums for different reasons and listen to them depending on my mood :P

Being a more recent fan I took it upon myself to listen to all the albums in order ^-^ and Make Believe was my most listened to for quite a while :)

I really can't say which album is my top because I just love them all xD

I'm finding it hard to choose a song I like most from the album but if push comes to shove I'd have to say Perfect Situation.... My best friend.... We are all on Drugs.... I really don't know

All we can safely say from this is that I'm indecisive and it's a great album just like the others

But hey, opinion is opinion x)

What time is it....? Adventure Time!

Indierocks said:

I have disagree, MB was more of a conclusion to the weezer story told though the first four LPs. It seem to me to be another Pinkerton in terms of letting grow on you but unlike Pink there's just some stuff you will not like. Listen to tracks 3, 4, 7, 8 and for Globs sake 10 and 12 again to see what I mean.

personally i'm and have been a make believe fan, much more emotional depth than green and maybe less jumbled than maladroit (not saying maladroit is jumbled). 

by the way i'm not comparing it later albums since they hadn't been released (but to mention red was just off...heart songs really?, raditude was green album part 2 with rap and hurley is pretty cool) 

the guitars sound big but sleeker, which is odd especially since rubin is producing when compared to ocasek or weezer themselves.  the songs are enjoyable, except for maybe "...drugs" not bad, but it does not fit the albums vibe (not sure what they were going for, possibly a hard rock song like hash pipe). 

BH a more intentional pop radio hit, but still close and/or true to weezer, PS is weezer all the way, "...Pity" took a while, but it's a very 80's dual guitar song, hold me is just wonderful, peace is a bit too simple and repetitive, but decent,

(intentional space)

"...Damage" is great as well, pardon me another good one, best friend is overly cute like sweetened kool-aid fun maybe once every two months (a weaker song), the other way again great, freak me out interesting but i guess is the quiet before the storm ending with one of their more epic finales second to only in dreams (butterfly is amazing but it's not that big arena rock sound).    

but again that's just me      

generally speaking, if something is less jumbled than something else, that would make them both jumbled.

musiconmymind08 said:

and maybe less jumbled than maladroit (not saying maladroit is jumbled). 

you're right about that, ate my own words.....how about it was a more concise album, when compared to maladroit which was more inconsistent, not bad but inconsistent

Not your friend, buddy! [spaz] said:

generally speaking, if something is less jumbled than something else, that would make them both jumbled.

musiconmymind08 said:

and maybe less jumbled than maladroit (not saying maladroit is jumbled). 

A. Whats wrong with heart songs ? 

B. I think "drugs" fits in rather nicely following "peace" when you listen to the album from start to end....but thats just my opinion.....

musiconmymind08 said:

by the way i'm not comparing it later albums since they hadn't been released (but to mention red was just off...heart songs really?, raditude was green album part 2 with rap and hurley is pretty cool) 

the guitars sound big but sleeker, which is odd especially since rubin is producing when compared to ocasek or weezer themselves.  the songs are enjoyable, except for maybe "...drugs" not bad, but it does not fit the albums vibe (not sure what they were going for, possibly a hard rock song like hash pipe). 

A. it's cool that rivers is stating important musical moments for him, but turns more on the corny side, it has an R&B vibe less than "This Is The Way" but.....not my thing at all, the ending is cool but can't save what I think is a weaker song. again that's just me

B. that's cool,

I do wish love is the answer (MB version) was in the album, but that has nothing to do with this (unless someone has a demo of it somewhere)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video