The best word I know to use to describe the reaction to this album is "mixed". It's safe to say that this was the general reaction, but we're the fans dammit and I don't about you but there is so many things I love about it and a tiny sum of things I detest about it. The interesting thing is we all love and dislike different things about it, that is, with exeption of one thing( I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with Shmerfect Shmituation). Anyway, what do you all think? Let the epic discusion of love and hate begin!

Views: 1079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was joking, maybe if I put a cute little "lol" there you'd get it. It was funny because what he said was pretty much true.

This is what generally disappoints me about Weezer fans.  This acceptance of mediocrity.  For instance, when Hurley came out, everyone was drooling on themselves about "Unspoken" as if it was another SIAS or something.  Everything after 'droit is mediocre or worse, Raditude.  We need to see these records for what they are and quit grasping at straws. 

As for MB, I agree with a previous poster when he/she said that the lyrics are embarrassing.  This is the same RC that wrote TWHTALMH and Pink Triangle, both genius lyrically. I can't even describe Beverly Hills. Lyrically it just seems like RC was laboring to write a song and that's what we got.   MB doesn't turn me off as much as Red or Hurley but it's ho-hum especially when we all know what this band is capable of. 

At the end of the day, it gets harder and harder to defend this band as time goes on.  I mean, c'mon, f*cking Raditude, man.

I know a lot of people dislike the mixing of Make Believe.  I know it's a loud album and always caught me off guard when one of its songs came up on shuffle, but what else is wrong with the mix?

Kyle Colq said:

I know a lot of people dislike the mixing of Make Believe.  I know it's a loud album and always caught me off guard when one of its songs came up on shuffle, but what else is wrong with the mix?

It's not the mix for me, I thought it was fine.  For me, it's the lyrical mediocrity that makes it hard to take the songs seriously. 

I really like MB, probably the only song I don't like that much is "We are all on drugs". I agree that it is similar to Pinkerton in some ways, the difference is that Rivers is telling us a totally different time of his life on the album. But imo the conclusion to the Weezer story as you said, is with The Red Album... On MB Rivers is still dealing with some issues like seeking for true love (Perfect Situation), insecurity (The Other Way), wishes for something he doesn't have (Beverly Hills); on Red he is now totally fine on his own shoes... just listen to "The Angel and The One" " I feel a deeper peace and that deeper peace is penetrating I've got the magic in me, I am complete is what I'm saying"

So, yeah, MB is a great album, doesn't sound anything like the others but at the same time has the Weezer signature.

Indierocks said:

I have disagree, MB was more of a conclusion to the weezer story told though the first four LPs. It seem to me to be another Pinkerton in terms of letting grow on you but unlike Pink there's just some stuff you will not like. Listen to tracks 3, 4, 7, 8 and for Globs sake 10 and 12 again to see what I mean.

Ya sure, whatever you say buddy.

Indierocks said:

I was joking, maybe if I put a cute little "lol" there you'd get it. It was funny because what he said was pretty much true.

Great album I would love to hear more songs live like Freak Me Out, Peace, and The Other Way added to their setlist!

Although I get a lot of the hate for the production on MB, I actual kind of like it.  I think it has a sleek vibe about it that's different.  I'm a pretty big Make Believe fan.  If I had to file any real complaints, it's that the drums on the album are pretty boring.  There could have been a lot more going on to flesh out these songs and give them a little more personality.  They kind of sound samey.  It's hard for me to remember exactly how some of them start off the top of my head, I can only really remember the chorus and general melody of the verse.  There are a few exceptions, of course.

Unlike most fans, I actually kind of like Beverly Hills.  For what it is, I think it does it's job remarkably well.  It's not THAT different of a sound for Weezer as was debated for a long time.  Plus that solo is killer (especially live when it's extended)....

Peace, Hold Me, Damage in Your Heart and Other Way are also some freaking great tracks.  It's not their best album or anything but for me it's one of the best post-pinkerton.  Holds a special place in my heart.

I actually agree with you on this. First time I heard some of the songs I went "eh", then I "listened" and I thoroughly enjoy playing it from start to end. I love the sequence of the songs on this album and how it seems to play out/ tell a story .... 

Indierocks said:

I have disagree, MB was more of a conclusion to the weezer story told though the first four LPs. It seem to me to be another Pinkerton in terms of letting grow on you but unlike Pink there's just some stuff you will not like. Listen to tracks 3, 4, 7, 8 and for Globs sake 10 and 12 again to see what I mean.

make believe is an album that really has grown on me over the years.  i feel like its authentic and genuine and i certainly find that era of weezer very interesting. 

i'd LOVE to finally hear the rest of the "fallen soldiers".....the tracks that nearly made the album but at the last minute were scrapped.  i think that would give us the full picture of the make believe era.  it's kinda crazy that there are 2 songs that are played in the background of the make believe 'enhanced video cd' that aren't even on the album... i hope one day those tracks finally see release.

One thing I can admit is that the production dosen't exactly enhance the experience. In fact, it might actually hinder it and this is easy to see with any live performance of the MB songs. This brings me to my final point. The MB shows are some the best shows I've ever seen recorded.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video