Why not? To me this album has one of the strongest central themes of all Weezer's discography, the only problem is that it has a few undeniably weak tracks on it. What these tracks are probably varies from person to person. What also strikes me is that these weak tracks could've been easily replaced by three of very strong bonus tracks(Ms. Sweeney, Pig, The Spider). Going back to the theme, it's pretty evident that due to Weezer's then new status as an aging band, the album seems to revolve around what it means to be a man(Troublemaker, GMTEL, Automatic, Pork And Beans) and identity(The Angel And The One, Dreamin, Heart Songs). Anyway what do you guys think? This album seems to be universally loved.

Views: 542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its a great album, but it loses lots of weezer fans due to the topic of most of the songs, it appears to be in the past and not the present, trying to reach a time or generation that is not really relevant to many of the fans today.  I love it though, the first 3 songs and angel and the one are my favorites.  Rivers writes what he thinks is cool and is honest to his creativity in the moment, I admire that.  

I'd have to agree with you about the lyric topics, it seems to be Weezer's first step away from the high emotion subject matter they're known for, but to me in a good and still a very "Weezer" way.

Indierocks said:

the high emotion subject matter they're known for
Jesus loves you happy otter.

Red is another missed opportunity for Rivers and co. but it at least features some of the group's best songs since the 90s. I would never listen to it in full due to its lack of cohesiveness and/or flow, but I love Greatest Man, Dreamin', Angel and the One and the deluxe tracks, of course.

I agree that Red is such a missed opportunity, I love Pork and Beans and The Angel and The One and the bonus tracks such as Pig, The Spider, Miss Sweeney and King are so much better than many of the songs on the album. The album is ruined for me because of Automatic, Cold Dark World, Heart Songs and Everybody Get Dangerous. Dreamin' in pretty good and Thought I knew is okay, but if the bonus tracks were on the album it would have been one of Weezer's best albums. I also agree that I would never listen to it in full.

Gohi said:

Red is another missed opportunity for Rivers and co. but it at least features some of the group's best songs since the 90s. I would never listen to it in full due to its lack of cohesiveness and/or flow, but I love Greatest Man, Dreamin', Angel and the One and the deluxe tracks, of course.

It is a perfect album for me... I seriously love every song from start to finish... and that being said my husbands favorite weezer song is Heart Songs... and he is not a "weezer" fan per say... my daughter's is Everybody Get Dangerous.... I just think this album is fantastic, full of a variety of great songs and something for everyone and that is why it is so universally loved, but that is my opinion

I must be the only one who doesn't understand the hype for Ms.Sweeny. I love pretty much everything Weezer but that song is just bad.
Red as a whole is pretty good. It's an odd album, but has some killer tracks. 

at first, I thought Heart Songs was about f4cking.  It sounds like some bodies are getting real nasty with each other, like an R Kelly or Usher song.  Then I heard the Nirvana part...I never fully listen to the lyrics my first time through an album.

In Ms. Sweeny, I love the "Sweeny baby, I'm ready" line.  So much feeling in it.  I know that song doesn't come from personal experience for Rivers, but he was able to tell a great story and put emotion into it.  I think it's a good sign.  Meaning, Rivers doesn't have to go through a leg operation or a sudden rise to fame again to be able to create something like Pinkerton....he can just create.

Scott's vocals on King are awesome

The only negative I find about Red is River's mustache. I'm sorry for you 'stache fans, but I just didn't think it fit him. I do love all the songs on it, and it takes me to when I listened to it over and over on the plane ride I had going to Texas one summer. Every album brings me to a certain place/time in my life, and I love them all. =W= ! !

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video