All right, you whippersnappers. Look on YouTube for "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" by Elton John and, ahem, Kiki Dee. Or Wikipedia her. I'm not suggesting that's literally who is being mentioned in TGGH, since I didn't write it, but it is a distinctive name and someone who was popular when people of a certain age were young. Sorry I can't embed it for you, I'm on a mobile device and it's a pain to get YouTube links on this.

It's a great karaoke song if you want to really lay on the cheese, btw.

Views: 401

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

uuuh, yeah. pretty sure most people here will have heard of kiki dee.

great thread, though. solid gold. 

Thanks, nice moderator! I happened to notice two threads in which people were wondering who Kiki Dee was, so I thought I'd mention the only one I know of. If you feel that it's unhelpful in the ATNW forum please feel free to lock it or remove it or whatever. I'll try not to post again unless I have something rude or sarcastic to say, k?

did you read the threads in atw? neither of them was concerned with who kiki dee is. one was started as a 'joke' and got locked and the other was started to ask why the first was locked.

if you're just making a thread about how great kiki dee is, go for it. however, to me, it reads as if you're trying to continue a weezer-related thread that was locked in atw and, as this is all things not weezer, it isn't really appropriate.

Lisa said:

Thanks, nice moderator! I happened to notice two threads in which people were wondering who Kiki Dee was, so I thought I'd mention the only one I know of. If you feel that it's unhelpful in the ATNW forum please feel free to lock it or remove it or whatever. I'll try not to post again unless I have something rude or sarcastic to say, k?

Lisa, this song is about a girl Rivers saw at a high school reunion.

Also, your cd is being sent out today.

Kiki Dee is tearing this place apart.
lol
I know, that's why I said I'm not suggesting that the song is literally about the singer. I was just trying to point out a possible inspiration for the distinctive name chosen. Thank you for being nice about it, though.

Can't wait to get the cd! Thanks.

eta: lol, Mark!

Gohi said:

I happen to be an Elton John fan.  If there's one thing to say about Kiki Dee, she didn't have too many hits before or after her duet with Elton in 1976.  So how exactly could she be considered influential or even inspirational as you suggest?  She by no means is on the same level as other female singer/songwriters like Aimee Mann, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, etc.

Lisa said:

I know, that's why I said I'm not suggesting that the song is literally about the singer. I was just trying to point out a possible inspiration for the distinctive name chosen. Thank you for being nice about it, though.

Gohi said:

Inspiration for the *name* used in the song is all that I meant, not that she was a musical hero.

Jupiter 80 said:

I happen to be an Elton John fan.  If there's one thing to say about Kiki Dee, she didn't have too many hits before or after her duet with Elton in 1976.  So how exactly could she be considered influential or even inspirational as you suggest?  She by no means is on the same level as other female singer/songwriters like Aimee Mann, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, etc.

Lisa said:

Gohi said:

that absolutely makes no sense at all.

Lisa said:
Inspiration for the *name* used in the song is all that I meant, not that she was a musical hero.

Jupiter 80 said:

Lisa said:

Gohi said:

I give up. [headdesk]
Lisa, I love you :)

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service