Hey,

I'm not sure how long some of you have been on here, but about two years ago I pitched an idea about a Weezer musical to this forum. The feedback wasn't great. Someone sent me a link to someone else who had a Weezer musical idea, although the other idea was a lot darker. A lot of people made fun of me. There were a few who did offer me some constructive criticism, though. They told me that I should take some classes before attempting a project this big.

Well, two years later, I've completed two years of college as a theatre major, and just received an A in advanced playwriting. I more than likely still have a very long way to go, but I think I've learned enough to at least start working on this again. 

So, let me just give a brief description of what I'm going for:

Island In The Sun: A Weezer Musical is a romantic comedy following 5 teens during their senior year of highschool. It encompasses the elements that teens go through as they're growing up: peer pressure, sexual experimentation, and a fear of the unknown. The characters, while over-the-top, are lovable in their own quirky ways. This musical uses songs mainly from the Green and Blue albums because they have a more fun, upbeat feel to them. 

I had a draft from two summers ago saved on my computer, and I just finished looking through it. You guys were right, it definitely needs a lot of work before I even consider sending it anywhere. Let me know what you guys think. Feedback is always nice!
(:

- Shelby Vicino

Views: 701

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I want to say Mary-Kate and Ashley already did this.

Your description of this makes it sound like American Pie meets High School musical.  Both of which are not entertaining to me.  With that being said, you could still make it entertaining, it just depends on the characters.  I enjoy a lot of "coming of age" tales, but they are usually more on the dark and depressing side.

Weezer to the casual fan is poppy and boppy.  But I feel like most people on this board are going to gravitate towards the darker stuff, like Songs From the Black H***/Pinkerton.  Your description didn't mention anything about Beer or drug use.  Both of which would make this thing more interesting. 

Oh, sorry. I mentioned peer pressure, which involves some of the characters experimenting with hard drugs. I'm really not going in a "High School Musical" direction with this at all. It's more of a "Superbad" kind of feel. It's really vulgar. Definitely not a show for children.

I like the darker stuff, but I grew up listening to Green and Blue, so I know the songs in those albums really well. I also prefer writing comedy to writing drama, although I can enjoy and admire a good depressing story line. 

Yup. That's the one, but now I actually kind of know what I'm doing (:

this still seems like a relevant question.

kittens bieber ♥ said:

what will you do when you've completed the project and weezer denies you the use of their songs.

Then at least I gave it a shot. I'm writing it because I love Weezer, musicals and writing, so if they deny me, I still wrote a musical with Weezer songs, which I will be able to look upon fondly for the rest of my life.
(:

live a better life.

Die a painful death
I think to really do Weezer justice is to maybe write about characters in College who THINK they've mentally left high school, but haven't. There's also too much to do with the Pinkerton songs to just leave them. Don't do a Weezer musical for the sake of doing a Weezer musical, then you're just Across The Universe.

Your savior complex is becoming a nuisance, Indielocks.

Indierocks said:

Die a painful death

Thanks, Buzz Killington.
"Die a Painful Death" just because I'm writing a musical about a band they LIKE is really extreme. Same with the guy who told me to "live a better life." I live a great life, but that doesn't mean I can't write a musical about my favorite band in my spare time. You may think that a storyline about college kids who don't have their lives figured out makes sense with certain weezer songs, that's great. You should write that musical, but I really like my storyline and I've picked songs that make sense with where I want it to go. Once again, I thought coming to the Weezer site to tell you guys about this would be a good thing. I figured that I'd be a little more accepted and welcomed by you guys, maybe get some constructive criticism, but no. I got "Die a painful death" and "Here's what you SHOULD write it about." 

I'm still going to write it. Because I want to. I'm young and in college and I want to write a musical with songs from my favorite band. I don't know why so many people have such a problem with that.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video