Is Longtime Sunshine the best song Rivers has ever written?

I've been listening to this one a lot lately, and every time I do, it just seems more and more beautiful. From the acoustic strumming to the delicate piano. To the drums and, of course, the flute, the entire song is close to flawless. And those lyrics are some of the best Rivers has ever written. So emotional. Desolate, lonely, and depressed, yet still inviting and hopeful. It's always stood out to me, and I'm not sure if I consiter their best, but it's up there. Thoughts?

Tags: Best, Longtime, Rivers, Sunshine

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lover in the Snow?

Kyle Charls said:

I absolutely adore that song... I suppose it's more of a personal taste though in terms of "his greatest song" though. My top five songs that are strictly from his two Alone albums are The Prettiest Girl In The Whole Wide World, My Day Is Coming, Wanda, Longtime Sunshine, and I'll Think About You.

Dude, Lover In The Snow has to be sixth place man lol. Fun fact, I know how to play that on guitar!

Mr. Sweeney said:

Lover in the Snow?

Kyle Charls said:

I absolutely adore that song... I suppose it's more of a personal taste though in terms of "his greatest song" though. My top five songs that are strictly from his two Alone albums are The Prettiest Girl In The Whole Wide World, My Day Is Coming, Wanda, Longtime Sunshine, and I'll Think About You.

So maybe...juuust maybe I'm talking about now that the deluxe pink has come out? I didn't quote any previous post because I was posting my thoughts on the song as of the date I posted. It's a thought that includes the amount of people drooling over the deluxe version. So to summarize: way to be a douche bag.

Mr. Sweeney said:

Okay. You could not be more wrong. This thread was first started on September 30, long before the November 2 release date of Pinkerton Deluxe. In addition, all the comments but two were posted in October. So all of these are concerning the version of Longtime Sunshine off Alone I. In my opinion, that version is far superior to the Pink Deluxe version (though I will admit to loving that coda.) So, all these people commenting heard and knew the song before the coda version. We all love it because of how real it is. How personal Rivers lyrics are. If you haven't heard the Alone version, I would HIGHLY recommend listening to it.

Smugleaf said:

I think the reason it's so hyped is because of the section at the end when there are melodies from other songs being sung. People think it's so cool when familiar themes return and when there's a bunch at a climax like that, it's a guaranteed fangasm.

That's why I think people call it the best song.

What do you think about "The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World" Raditude version?

Kyle Charls said:

Personally, can't stand it. Ruined the song. I can't exactly say why, other than I just did not care for it.

Jeri said:

What do you think about "The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World" Raditude version?

Kyle Charls said:

Hmm, interesting reaction for sure. I'm pretty sure nobody was being hostile, but if you want to, well, you can go right ahead. Anyways, you make sure that you have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Lovies.

Smugleaf said:

So maybe...juuust maybe I'm talking about now that the deluxe pink has come out? I didn't quote any previous post because I was posting my thoughts on the song as of the date I posted. It's a thought that includes the amount of people drooling over the deluxe version. So to summarize: way to be a douche bag.

Mr. Sweeney said:

Okay. You could not be more wrong. This thread was first started on September 30, long before the November 2 release date of Pinkerton Deluxe. In addition, all the comments but two were posted in October. So all of these are concerning the version of Longtime Sunshine off Alone I. In my opinion, that version is far superior to the Pink Deluxe version (though I will admit to loving that coda.) So, all these people commenting heard and knew the song before the coda version. We all love it because of how real it is. How personal Rivers lyrics are. If you haven't heard the Alone version, I would HIGHLY recommend listening to it.

Smugleaf said:

I think the reason it's so hyped is because of the section at the end when there are melodies from other songs being sung. People think it's so cool when familiar themes return and when there's a bunch at a climax like that, it's a guaranteed fangasm.

That's why I think people call it the best song.

I think it's the timing, it just feels too calculated.

As far as your original post/thread title, it inspired me to look at "Longtime Sunshine" in more of an introspective way and gave me a little burning fire that I had to write something about it. So, I decided to finally create a blog (specifically related to music) and I'm using "Is “Longtime Sunshine” the greatest song every written by Rivers Cuomo?" as my prompt!

Mr. Sweeney said:

Personally, can't stand it. Ruined the song. I can't exactly say why, other than I just did not care for it.

Jeri said:

Kyle Charls said:

I think the Raditude version of that song certainly isn't as genuine as the Alone version. So primarily for that reason, I think that the Alone version of that song is better than the Raditude version. Although I do love the Raditude version as well don't get me wrong, I like the Raditude version of the song simply because It's longer... :)

Jeri said:

Kyle Charls said:

i think it's the non album (not saying the deluxe edition one) song which is the best along with blast off!

I definitely think it is one of, if not his best. it's hard to say what is or is not the best since that is based on an individual's sense of value. But since we're here, i'd rank it up there with only in dreams and pig as being among Rivers best. I really wish we could see this song fully realized. Butterfly is without a doubt one of Rivers single greatest musical moments in and of itself, but you gotta admit, having it end pinkerton adds a certain amount of weight, and definetly takes it to another level. The coda mix on pinkerton deluxe gives us a look into that window, but imagine black h*** ending with LTS then the coda kicking in, after the rollercoaster that album surely would have been/will be, I can't imagine how much more weight this song would have. Also, imagining this in the proggy, synth heavy sound of black h*** sure is interesting. I wonder how that would have turned out. regardless, i'd say it is a truly perfect song. Touching as hell. it can't help but be moving. Yes, it might be the best song he ever wrote.
The lyrics are wonderful. The music is majestic. The melodies are... melodic. This song is definitely in my top 50. 
no, Rosemary is

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video