Is Longtime Sunshine the best song Rivers has ever written?

I've been listening to this one a lot lately, and every time I do, it just seems more and more beautiful. From the acoustic strumming to the delicate piano. To the drums and, of course, the flute, the entire song is close to flawless. And those lyrics are some of the best Rivers has ever written. So emotional. Desolate, lonely, and depressed, yet still inviting and hopeful. It's always stood out to me, and I'm not sure if I consiter their best, but it's up there. Thoughts?

Tags: Best, Longtime, Rivers, Sunshine

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's a great example of just what Rivers' potential and talent was and is.

Is it his best ever written? I dunno. I hope not. I feel like his best is still in him. It's great though.
No but it's certainly better than anything on the last five Weezer albums.

Blastoff is superior though.
In no way is it the best. But thats not to say its a bad song. Its very good. and id like to see him rerecord and finish it. but its not the best.
Stone me, but I thought the remixed version of Can't Stop Partying was pretty good. The "coconut teaser mix" from the Itunes pass. Dumb keyboards replaced with grungy guitars.The rediculous rapper part is replaced with some different lyrics done by Rivers. There aren't those weird little pop sounds like the one on the album. I've heard Rivers say he really likes this song. I wonder if they included version that is on the main album out of respect of the rapper guy. They invite him to do a song, they don't like it much, but dont' dis the guy by not putting it on the record and replacing it with the cool version? I must say, i do like the minor arrangement better than on Alone.
I am in no way suggesting even this way better version is his best though.
It's certainly much better than the album version. But man, those chorus background vocals are brutal.

neadbe said:
Stone me, but I thought the remixed version of Can't Stop Partying was pretty good. The "coconut teaser mix" from the Itunes pass. Dumb keyboards replaced with grungy guitars.The rediculous rapper part is replaced with some different lyrics done by Rivers. There aren't those weird little pop sounds like the one on the album. I've heard Rivers say he really likes this song. I wonder if they included version that is on the main album out of respect of the rapper guy. They invite him to do a song, they don't like it much, but dont' dis the guy by not putting it on the record and replacing it with the cool version? I must say, i do like the minor arrangement better than on Alone.
i love it, but best song ever written, i just can't say. say it aint so is probaly the best.

Can't stop partying is...

Im joking

But I don't think it's HIS best song.

I think the reason it's so hyped is because of the section at the end when there are melodies from other songs being sung. People think it's so cool when familiar themes return and when there's a bunch at a climax like that, it's a guaranteed fangasm.

That's why I think people call it the best song.

I have always loved it. I think it just hits a nerve because of the emotional quality about it. Also, it's very simple and broken down. I love that he's playing all the instruments, it just feels very raw and honest.

I wouldn't say it's the best song he's ever written though, but I will listen to it with your opinion in mind. I've always liked the lyrics. It's easy to relate to.

Okay. You could not be more wrong. This thread was first started on September 30, long before the November 2 release date of Pinkerton Deluxe. In addition, all the comments but two were posted in October. So all of these are concerning the version of Longtime Sunshine off Alone I. In my opinion, that version is far superior to the Pink Deluxe version (though I will admit to loving that coda.) So, all these people commenting heard and knew the song before the coda version. We all love it because of how real it is. How personal Rivers lyrics are. If you haven't heard the Alone version, I would HIGHLY recommend listening to it.

Smugleaf said:

I think the reason it's so hyped is because of the section at the end when there are melodies from other songs being sung. People think it's so cool when familiar themes return and when there's a bunch at a climax like that, it's a guaranteed fangasm.

That's why I think people call it the best song.

I absolutely adore that song... I suppose it's more of a personal taste though in terms of "his greatest song" though. My top five songs that are strictly from his two Alone albums are The Prettiest Girl In The Whole Wide World, My Day Is Coming, Wanda, Longtime Sunshine, and I'll Think About You.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video