Is Longtime Sunshine the best song Rivers has ever written?

I've been listening to this one a lot lately, and every time I do, it just seems more and more beautiful. From the acoustic strumming to the delicate piano. To the drums and, of course, the flute, the entire song is close to flawless. And those lyrics are some of the best Rivers has ever written. So emotional. Desolate, lonely, and depressed, yet still inviting and hopeful. It's always stood out to me, and I'm not sure if I consiter their best, but it's up there. Thoughts?

Tags: Best, Longtime, Rivers, Sunshine

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For me, look elsewhere on the first Alone CD and you have it: Lover in the Snow. Perfection.

Longtime Sunshine lacks a vocal bridge if I'm not mistaken, therefore my mind excludes it as a best of.

It is the best.

It's up there (Top 5 or 10 I'd say) but Say It Ain't So and Across the Sea still duke it out as Rivers best.

Also, why the hate for Raditude Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World? Personally, I prefer the Rivers Cuomo Band version from 98 but the Raditude one is fantastic. The demo is so barebones, there's just not much there. The Raditude version enhances the demo in every way possible: harmonies, guitar (solo!) and drum fills.

SIAS

duh.

Oh, Longtime Sunshine is amazing, but I think Super Friend is better.
eeeeeh, I mean, I've LOVED that song for years, but lyrically, I don't think its the strongest although very amazing. See, my gf is not a weezerholic like me, but thats the song that convinced her that Weezer is lyrical child's play, and I have to agree with her on this song. And even knowing that, its still a guilty weezer pleasure that gets you where only weezer can. Lyrically, its not profound, but musically its a vacation to weezer heaven.

Wow, you are whipped. 

I couldn't disagree with you more, friend.

Whipped I am. And its a good song, but is b**** to its cousin Butterfly. Lyrically, what is better than Butterfly by Weezer? Not LS. No way. Not even a discussion; a fact.

Gohi said:

Wow, you are whipped. 

I already liked the version of LS on Alone but I will readily admit to losing my $*#@ the first time I heard the version on Pinkerton deluxe when they came in at the end with Why Bother/Blast off
I almost cried after listening to that.
Hearing all of them singing at once, almost like a recap of the album.
Definitely one of the best things I've ever heard.

Clayton Collins said:
I already liked the version of LS on Alone but I will readily admit to losing my $*#@ the first time I heard the version on Pinkerton deluxe when they came in at the end with Why Bother/Blast off

"Sometimes I wanna get in a car

Close my eyes and drive real fast

Keep on going til I get some place

Where I can truly rest"

That moves me more than anything from Butterfly, that's not to say that Butterfly isn't amazing lyrically. 

GJ Gerard said:

Whipped I am. And its a good song, but is b**** to its cousin Butterfly. Lyrically, what is better than Butterfly by Weezer? Not LS. No way. Not even a discussion; a fact.

Gohi said:

Wow, you are whipped. 

I like the pink deluxe stanza better. 

"Goodbye friends; goodbye, my girl
Close my eyes as you fly away
Keep on going till you get someplace 
Where you can truly rest."

I like it because it's more sftbh-ish. 

But, yeah I think the lyrics are fantastic too. 

Gohi said:

"Sometimes I wanna get in a car

Close my eyes and drive real fast

Keep on going til I get some place

Where I can truly rest"

That moves me more than anything from Butterfly, that's not to say that Butterfly isn't amazing lyrically. 

GJ Gerard said:

Gohi said:

Wow, you are whipped. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video