live songs on Pinkerton deluxe? Out of all the choices they probably had they are gonna fill it with THAT many live versions? From the iTunes samples they all sound pretty good but I honestly don't think that enough b-sides are on it, especially b-sides we haven't heard. Even if they remastered they won't be anything new. I am still very excited about it and if a discussion like this has already been made I apologize.

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm am syked about getting "Getting up and Leaving" and "Tragic Girl" . I don't know if its better or worse that we get to preview them on itunes. I would pay full price right now just to get those 2 and be able blast them in my headphones or car stereo. Good release time though...new old Weezer music sounds great driving though Autumn colored streets.
hey karl - was there ever a run through of 'i just threw out the love of my dreams' with rivers (or brian) singing instead of rachel haden? i guess that was one of the other things that i thought might pop up on pink deluxe.
I was upset cause I wanted pinkerton deluxe to be so tight that it would cement the album's status as one of the greatest albums of the 90's, which, sort of happened regardless, but basically, yea, it's not so tight with all those live tracks.  On the other hand, rivers said something like he wanted to capture what it was like during those years, and the live tracks do kind of capture that.  They strip the songs down to their acoustic bones, and put cuomo"s voice in the front.  Heard this way, the songs don't sound that great.  In fact, they sound adolescent and feminine and loose and uncomfortable.  This is the secret of pinkerton.  When you amp up the guitars and mix the album so fiercely and bravely, you add balls to the songs and you leave the hurtful truths underneath.  What's interesting is that the songs are masterpieces regardless of how they are produced, but that's not obvious until it can be presented to the audience in a way that feels comfortable and cool.

dont worry bout it Karl, but you better wow us somethin special with Green Deluxe in 2013.

karl koch [karlophone] said:

a future recording history update will list what we found but didnt put on the deluxe. youll question our sanity on a few of them but you must trust that everyone involved listened very carefully and agreed they were not releaseable, despite the tantalizing glimpses they may have offered at what never was.

the total lack of superfriend on any tape was surprising but its now assumed it was wiped back in '96 for some reason that probably seemed good at the time, i.e. shortly after the run though that i caught on video (seen on VCD)

Daniel [bleed0range] said:
That's so sad to hear, that the tape holding the Superfriend perfromance was destroyed. :(

Bummer.

Bill said:
i've been trying to figure out why 'superfriend' is kinda swept under the rug on this release. not a single version of it...really?! i think of that as a pinkerton era song and in fact on video capture device dvd we even have a clip of them rehearsing it. very weird that would be excluded in exchange for so many versions live songs

there is no Superfriend on tape, it was destroyed, and the very few other studio bits we left off were WAY too rough or incomplete or flawed in some way to include. We tried to include everything that sounded good. In the end theres only like 1-2 things i wish could have been on but just werent good or complete enough. this deluxe package is just about as chock full as was possible.

please, no. green deluxe won't be the s***, it will be s***.

natecopsey said:

dont worry bout it Karl, but you better wow us somethin special with Green Deluxe in 2013.

a future recording history update will list what we found but didnt put on the deluxe. youll question our sanity on a few of them but you must trust that everyone involved listened very carefully and agreed they were not releaseable, despite the tantalizing glimpses they may have offered at what never was.

the total lack of superfriend on any tape was surprising but its now assumed it was wiped back in '96 for some reason that probably seemed good at the time, i.e. shortly after the run though that i caught on video (seen on VCD)

That's so sad to hear, that the tape holding the Superfriend perfromance was destroyed. :(

Bummer.

Bill said:
i've been trying to figure out why 'superfriend' is kinda swept under the rug on this release. not a single version of it...really?! i think of that as a pinkerton era song and in fact on video capture device dvd we even have a clip of them rehearsing it. very weird that would be excluded in exchange for so many versions live songs

there is no Superfriend on tape, it was destroyed, and the very few other studio bits we left off were WAY too rough or incomplete or flawed in some way to include. We tried to include everything that sounded good. In the end theres only like 1-2 things i wish could have been on but just werent good or complete enough. this deluxe package is just about as chock full as was possible.
Are we ever going to get to hear the Pinkerton-era songs that WON'T be on alone III? (and what about the superfriend reprise, was that totally destroyed too?)

a future recording history update will list what we found but didnt put on the deluxe. youll question our sanity on a few of them but you must trust that everyone involved listened very carefully and agreed they were not releaseable, despite the tantalizing glimpses they may have offered at what never was. the total lack of superfriend on any tape was surprising but its now assumed it was wiped back in '96 for some reason that probably seemed good at the time, i.e. shortly after the run though that i caught on video (seen on VCD)

Bummer.

Bill said:

We've discussed this many, many, many times. And yes.

I was very disappointed in the deluxe Pinkerton for its many pointless live versions and especially the acoustic versions are boring. I probably wont listen to them again in a long time. But getting up and Tragic girl are pure gold so they make up some for the disappointment.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video