Interesting Weezer related commentary from ultimateguitar.com

This from an article on the death of Amy Winehouse:

 

The overall benefit—if you could call it that—of an early death, regardless of the nature of demise and living reputation, is the subsequent appreciation for the music. Death puts an end to your musical contribution, which can preserve your legacy. If Rivers Cuomo of Weezer died after making “Pinkerton” and the band broke up shortly after, Weezer could be revered as a truly great band with an highly esteemed musical influence, remembered for their innovative sound and creativity. But Rivers is alive and well, and Weezer has released a steady output of successful, yet comparatively less decent records than their first two. Weezer isn’t revered like Nirvana is because Nirvana didn’t have the chance to release mediocre records.

 

Ouch! Good point... Now: RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

as true as that might be, for me a weezer fan, i dont care what people say. I LOVE maladroit, green and the red album.
agreed.  Maladroit gets played just as much as Pinkerton in my house.

Ben Katzman said:
as true as that might be, for me a weezer fan, i dont care what people say. I LOVE maladroit, green and the red album.
It's respectfully written and makes an incredibly succinct point. Can't fault it.

I disagree.....I think Weezer has music that will endure and that future generations will enjoy.  I feel that they have a mix of sounds....something for everyone...and yet they have that special Weezer touch that makes it their own.I am sure Weezer has more in store for us. If there was no Weezer after Pinkerton there would not have been the Angel and the One or The Greatest Man that Ever Lived (2 of my favs) and many others. I can't imagine the next generation saying oooh Amy Winehouse was a classic...but more like a one hit wonder with a catchy song. (I am not saying she is a one hit wonder I am just saying this is how she will be portrayed by a future generation). She had talent but sadly I don't think she really reached her potential. 

Also, who knows what would have been with Nirvana.....I think they did not have a chance to evolve or grow...who knows what else they could have done with their music....I personally like bands that evolve over time rather than just limit themselves to the same old thing. I would pick Pearl Jam over Nirvana....and they are still alive and making great music! If Pearl Jam had an early death with Nirvana I would have probably gone with Nirvana back then....so I disagree with your initial statement. 

Your citing of Pearl Jam as an example of a band that evolved illustrates the problem that many who were blown away by Weezer's first two albums have with more recent work. Pearl Jam's post Ten (which I assume is seen by most as their watershed moment) output, while definitely moving away from their original sound, has always maintained an element of them being true to themselves and searching for new frontiers. The difference with Weezer is that (with a few brilliant exceptions, so you can put down your flamethrowers) their post Pinkerton work sounds and feels like they are pandering to the singular goal of writing "hit" songs. Even the Memories Tour, tacitly a bone thrown to the curmudgeons, had a more than slightly smarmy feel to it. That said, they all seem like nice guys and are certainly deserving of all the trappings that come along with writing hit songs, but I choose to remember Weezer from those first two albums. Anyway, overly earnest and angsty rock music is a young man's game so if I want to hear that I'll listen to Surfer Blood or Smith Westerns.

Natkat128 said:

I disagree.....I think Weezer has music that will endure and that future generations will enjoy.  I feel that they have a mix of sounds....something for everyone...and yet they have that special Weezer touch that makes it their own.I am sure Weezer has more in store for us. If there was no Weezer after Pinkerton there would not have been the Angel and the One or The Greatest Man that Ever Lived (2 of my favs) and many others. I can't imagine the next generation saying oooh Amy Winehouse was a classic...but more like a one hit wonder with a catchy song. (I am not saying she is a one hit wonder I am just saying this is how she will be portrayed by a future generation). She had talent but sadly I don't think she really reached her potential. 

Also, who knows what would have been with Nirvana.....I think they did not have a chance to evolve or grow...who knows what else they could have done with their music....I personally like bands that evolve over time rather than just limit themselves to the same old thing. I would pick Pearl Jam over Nirvana....and they are still alive and making great music! If Pearl Jam had an early death with Nirvana I would have probably gone with Nirvana back then....so I disagree with your initial statement. 

....exactly.

 

But the thing is, I'm glad Weezer is still alive, because they've released so many fantastic songs from these comparatively average albums, and I know that sometime in the future we will get some more truly great albums - hopefully this will include reworkings of SFTBH and/or Homie.

I don't think this is true. Pinkerton is only amazing to the fans/people.. critics hated it. I don't think they would have gotten the credit the deserved if that happened.


But on the other hand.. I love all their albums honestly. Not just because I'm a fan, but because I'm a music lover. I honestly like the newer poppy stuff because I like that kind of music. Rivers is happy now, what can I say. 

the whole "critics hated pinkerton" story is overblown. most reviews at the time were quite positive.

WeezerSituation said:

I don't think this is true. Pinkerton is only amazing to the fans/people.. critics hated it. I don't think they would have gotten the credit the deserved if that happened.

Funny, I read the same thing about your mom. She got a 9/10 in Hustler, and "Best in Show" in an indie porn mag from Florida. You should be proud.

kittens bieber ♥ said:
the whole "critics hated pinkerton" story is overblown. most reviews at the time were quite positive.

WeezerSituation said:

I don't think this is true. Pinkerton is only amazing to the fans/people.. critics hated it. I don't think they would have gotten the credit the deserved if that happened.

you've got some serious mommy issues, kenny.

Blueperton said:
Funny, I read the same thing about your mom. She got a 9/10 in Hustler, and "Best in Show" in an indie porn mag from Florida. You should be proud.

kittens bieber ♥ said:
the whole "critics hated pinkerton" story is overblown. most reviews at the time were quite positive.

WeezerSituation said:

I don't think this is true. Pinkerton is only amazing to the fans/people.. critics hated it. I don't think they would have gotten the credit the deserved if that happened.

I couldn't give a sh*t what people think about Weezer's post Pinkerton output or their "legacy".

They're my favourite band. I've been with them from the start. I love all their stuff.

 

End of Story!

That's some morbid nonsense right there. I love the "if only Rivers Cuomo had died" idea, as if it was a calculated career move, and how foolish were Weezer to not avail themselves of it. I don't know what I expected from an article that opens with the gem, "the overall benefit of an early death..." What a complete jackass.

 

And stop with Nirvana not releasing mediocre records: In Utero, anyone? Please...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video