I just don't really understand why everyone is so harsh on the post Blue and Pinkerton albums. Yes, these albums are magnificent and timeless, and changed music in my opinion. But then the Green Album came out with even more pop-rock gems. Then Maladroit which is one of the hard-ass-rockinest albums I've ever heard. These albums are amazing. Then Make Believe came along and shook things up with some beautifully produced melodies and still some intense rockers. Then Red, once again awesome songs. Greatest Man Who Ever Lived? Unbelievable. And Raditude which seems to get so much flack. This album is so fun. From the extremely catchy first notes of If You're Wondering to the club anthem I Cant Stop Partying, this album soars. And now we have Hurley which is  like a throwback to the days of old. So what if you don't think these albums are as "timeless" or "perfect" as the first 2 albums. I don't think people understand that Rivers is pouring out his heart here and giving us his words and music. To be so rude and hurtful to him is just wrong I think. I love all of Weezer's albums, and I don't think Rivers owes it to anyone to make 6 more Pinkertons. All I'm saying is give the guy a break, and just enjoy the music.

Thank you, and Good Night.

Venting over.

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I disagree.
Well, I hate to say it but, you're wrong.

Just kidding, I don't hate to say it at all.

Josh Kitchen said:
I disagree.
Oh well, I enjoy/love the music. I guess that's all that matters.
I think Rivers has both written songs that are obviously emotionally detached since Pinkerton, but I also think he has written his fair share that are not but people like to label them as such. The Angel and the One for example.

Greatest Man may not be the most emotionally driven song (haha), but you can tell that Rivers put a lot of effort into creating something different and complex on a musical level. A lot of people compare it to a rock opera type song but what it really is, or so I believe, is Rivers attempting to bring the idea of "movements" in classical music to the alternative rock scene. A variation on a single theme throughout the entirety of the song. Which is worthy of some praise IMO. Lover in the Snow was a made-up song, so you can argue that it is emotionally void but it's a great song.
Thank you for not Hatin'!

:D

Daniel [bleed0range] said:
I think Rivers has both written songs that are obviously emotionally detached since Pinkerton, but I also think he has written his fair share that are not but people like to label them as such. The Angel and the One for example. Greatest Man may not be the most emotionally driven song (haha), but you can tell that Rivers put a lot of effort into creating something different and complex on a musical level. A lot of people compare it to a rock opera type song but what it really is, or so I believe, is Rivers attempting to bring the idea of "movements" in classical music to the alternative rock scene.

Which is worthy of some praise IMO. Lover in the Snow was a made-up song, so you can argue that it is emotionally void but it's a great song.
yeah, i agree, everyone has a opinion but listen to what you love.

I'm in a happy mood this morning 

Josh Kitchen said:
Oh well, I enjoy/love the music. I guess that's all that matters.
ha, you quoted me before I edited it a little lol. Oh wells.

Josh Kitchen said:
Thank you for not Hatin'! :D

I think Rivers has both written songs that are obviously emotionally detached since Pinkerton, but I also think he has written his fair share that are not but people like to label them as such. The Angel and the One for example. Greatest Man may not be the most emotionally driven song (haha), but you can tell that Rivers put a lot of effort into creating something different and complex on a musical level. A lot of people compare it to a rock opera type song but what it really is, or so I believe, is Rivers attempting to bring the idea of "movements" in classical music to the alternative rock scene.

Which is worthy of some praise IMO. Lover in the Snow was a made-up song, so you can argue that it is emotionally void but it's a great song.
Haha both versions are good.

ha, you quoted me before I edited it a little lol. Oh wells.

Josh Kitchen said:
Thank you for not Hatin'! :D

well Josh, I totally agree with you all the way 100%. All of these Weezer fans say that they love the band, but spend all of their time bashing everything post-Pinkerton. I have only seen Weezer live twice and the conversations around me were (2008) "I hope they don't play new stuff...I am only here to hear the blue album and pinkerton" and (2010) "I haven't even listened to anything Weezer after the Green Album". I can't believe what these people around me sound like! Well, both times I has happy to sing along with every song and see those sad, lost Weezer fans just sit there when something from Red or Raditude came on.
It can't be argued that Rivers still sings songs true to himself: Pork and Beans, Time Flies, Memories...to name a few. And whose to say that every song in the past was all emotion. He still wrote songs for the sake of songs back then. For example, if tired of sex was originally written for the rock opera SFTBH, then it had to do with the characters Jonas and Maria, not Rivers Himself. Just sayin- Rivers wrote songs back then for the sake of making music, as he does it today. The difference is there are more stuck up "Iwasthefirst" fans surrounding the band today.

Rivers said it best "I'm finally dandy with the me inside" ----and he doesn't give a hoot about what you think.
Well I don't think we should all hate on the older fans just because they don't like the newer stuff either you know. It's kind of a two way street. They sound like they "hate" the band but they are just passionate about the older stuff and they all sing along to Beverly Hills and all that stuff too at the concerts.

SFTBH wasn't completely made up. It was based around Rivers' life, it was meant as a giant metaphor for him becoming a rock star, therefore you can't necessarily say Tired of Sex is fictional. Maybe it was, but maybe it wasn't.

Older "jaded" fans also like some of the new material. I certainly remember a strong, positive reaction to Pork and Beans when it came out. The general consensus seems to be that Red was pretty good. The Angel and the One gets a lot of praise for "best post pinkerton." I understand why you would want to call them out on it, but this is just how really devoted fans of anything get. They pick things apart, they get nitpicky, etc. etc. You can see it on forums for any topic. Star Wars, Batman, whatever.

I really prefer blue and pinkerton myself and I've been a fan a long, long time. However, I love Make Believe and I think it's still my third favorite. It takes all kinds you know?

Also, I'm pretty sure he says "I'm fine and dandy with the me inside."

Karl Seiwert said:
well Josh, I totally agree with you all the way 100%. All of these Weezer fans say that they love the band, but spend all of their time bashing everything post-Pinkerton. I have only seen Weezer live twice and the conversations around me were (2008) "I hope they don't play new stuff...I am only here to hear the blue album and pinkerton" and (2010) "I haven't even listened to anything Weezer after the Green Album". I can't believe what these people around me sound like! Well, both times I has happy to sing along with every song and see those sad, lost Weezer fans just sit there when something from Red or Raditude came on. It can't be argued that Rivers still sings songs true to himself: Pork and Beans, Time Flies, Memories...to name a few. And whose to say that every song in the past was all emotion. He still wrote songs for the sake of songs back then. For example, if tired of sex was originally written for the rock opera SFTBH, then it had to do with the characters Jonas and Maria, not Rivers Himself. Just sayin- Rivers wrote songs back then for the sake of making music, as he does it today. The difference is there are more stuck up "Iwasthefirst" fans surrounding the band today. Rivers said it best "I'm finally dandy with the me inside" ----and he doesn't give a hoot about what you think.
I've said this before, but these kinds of threads often talk as though the forum is largely comprised of posters saying they hate everything Weezer's done since Pinkerton. This isn't the case. Yes, some people do dislike everything after Pinkerton, but the majority of people posting on a Weezer forum in 2010 are doing so because they (still) like Weezer. You notice overly-negative posts more because they can be annoying, but I honestly don't believe that there are more of them.

I don't mean to get defensive about it, but realistically most people who like Weezer will accept what you are saying, and anyone who hates Weezer after Pinkerton will continue to do so regardless. Threads pleading with "everyone" to stop hating on Weezer just help to give the appearance that everyone is hating on Weezer.

(Edit: Ditto to everything bleed0range said.)
well opinions are opinions. but he definitely says finally dandy- and that's in the book son!

Older "jaded" fans also like some of the new material. I certainly remember a strong, positive reaction to Pork and Beans when it came out. The general consensus seems to be that Red was pretty good. The Angel and the One gets a lot of praise for "best post pinkerton." I understand why you would want to call them out on it, but this is just how really devoted fans of anything get. They pick things apart, they get nitpicky, etc. etc. You can see it on forums for any topic. Star Wars, Batman, whatever.

I really prefer blue and pinkerton myself and I've been a fan a long, long time. However, I love Make Believe and I think it's still my third favorite. It takes all kinds you know?

Also, I'm pretty sure he says "I'm fine and dandy with the me inside."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video