I just don't really understand why everyone is so harsh on the post Blue and Pinkerton albums. Yes, these albums are magnificent and timeless, and changed music in my opinion. But then the Green Album came out with even more pop-rock gems. Then Maladroit which is one of the hard-ass-rockinest albums I've ever heard. These albums are amazing. Then Make Believe came along and shook things up with some beautifully produced melodies and still some intense rockers. Then Red, once again awesome songs. Greatest Man Who Ever Lived? Unbelievable. And Raditude which seems to get so much flack. This album is so fun. From the extremely catchy first notes of If You're Wondering to the club anthem I Cant Stop Partying, this album soars. And now we have Hurley which is  like a throwback to the days of old. So what if you don't think these albums are as "timeless" or "perfect" as the first 2 albums. I don't think people understand that Rivers is pouring out his heart here and giving us his words and music. To be so rude and hurtful to him is just wrong I think. I love all of Weezer's albums, and I don't think Rivers owes it to anyone to make 6 more Pinkertons. All I'm saying is give the guy a break, and just enjoy the music.

Thank you, and Good Night.

Venting over.

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha, the Red album book DID have a lot of typos to be fair, as I recall. I'm pretty sure he doesn't say "finally" however. I seem to remember when the song first came out I thought he said "finally" but it turned out he didn't, and I was kind of bummed because I thought that was better.

Judge for yourself I guess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQHPYelqr0E&ob=av2e

I just listened again and I hear "fine and dandy."

Karl Seiwert said:
well opinions are opinions. but he definitely says finally dandy- and that's in the book son! Daniel [bleed0range] said:

Older "jaded" fans also like some of the new material. I certainly remember a strong, positive reaction to Pork and Beans when it came out. The general consensus seems to be that Red was pretty good. The Angel and the One gets a lot of praise for "best post pinkerton." I understand why you would want to call them out on it, but this is just how really devoted fans of anything get. They pick things apart, they get nitpicky, etc. etc. You can see it on forums for any topic. Star Wars, Batman, whatever. I really prefer blue and pinkerton myself and I've been a fan a long, long time. However, I love Make Believe and I think it's still my third favorite. It takes all kinds you know?
Also, I'm pretty sure he says "I'm fine and dandy with the me inside."

you're right...probably a typo in the album booklet.

Daniel [bleed0range] said:
Haha, the Red album book DID have a lot of typos to be fair, as I recall. I'm pretty sure he doesn't say "finally" however. I seem to remember when the song first came out I thought he said "finally" but it turned out he didn't, and I was kind of bummed because I thought that was better.
"just enjoy the music."

These last four words of your post are the Key, Aside from a handful of tracks I don't enjoy the music they have made after Maladroit (I liked Green and Maladroit) so why would I listen to those albums when I don't "Enjoy the music."

The world would be a very dull place if we all had the same opinions, so why not enjoy the music you like and let others enjoy the music they like, that way everyone wins.

Not liking certain albums does not make someone less of a fan. Blindly loving everything, despite not actually liking the albums would be just as bad as proclaiming "everything after Pinkerton sucks" without listening to it.

I understand that music snobs can be annoying, but don't lump everyone who doesn't like the later albums in the same boat. It is just as much our right to not like the music as it is yours to like it. As you say yourself "just enjoy the music." :)
I get what a lot of you are saying, and I agree with a lot of it. I've been on here just a few days, and I have just seen LOTS of negativity.
I'm an old-school fan and you have to remember that perspective really comes into play here. Us "older" guys came up on TBA and Pinkerton and at the time, music was in a vastly different place. Mainstream rock consisted of Nirvana, PJ, Radiohead, and Weezer as examples. Now, mainstream rock is Nickleback. Think about that. Mainstream music is mainly bad hip-hop now.

My opinion on post 2000 Weezer is that the albums are wildly inconsistent compared to TBA and Pinkerton. Every song on those albums are great and very few Weezer fans will say different. The reason for this inconsistency is because Rivers has experimented with different sounds. As a musician I understand where he is coming from but if we do a side by side comparison of post Pink Weezer compared to the first two albums the consistency just isn't there.

Another thing, on the old Rivers Conference Board or RCB he was very antagonistic toward fans of the early stuff. That turned some people off. Basically saying that if you loved the first two albums you didn't know what good music was. People were actually defending the value of TBA and Pinkerton......to Rivers! Very weird dynamic.

I'm not saying that there isn't good music to be had nowadays in Weezer world, because there most certainly is (i.e. Miss Sweeney, Hold Me, Run Away) but for my money it doesn't get better than those first two albums. Those records are widely considered influential albums and have been on lists of "best rock albums" ever in various magazines. Pinkerton is known as the foundation for the emo movement of the 2000's. Are there any post Pinkerton records you see as influential to music as a whole like those two were?

Bottom line is that if you love the new stuff then that's great, I never bust on people for what they like musically. I like jam band stuff but the majority of people hate it. Rivers is making the music he likes now and I respect that. That said, Blue and Pinkerton hold a special place for me.
Great post man.

Marc said:
I'm an old-school fan and you have to remember that perspective really comes into play here. Us "older" guys came up on TBA and Pinkerton and at the time, music was in a vastly different place. Mainstream rock consisted of Nirvana, PJ, Radiohead, and Weezer as examples. Now, mainstream rock is Nickleback. Think about that. Mainstream music is mainly bad hip-hop now.

My opinion on post 2000 Weezer is that the albums are wildly inconsistent compared to TBA and Pinkerton. Every song on those albums are great and very few Weezer fans will say different. The reason for this inconsistency is because Rivers has experimented with different sounds. As a musician I understand where he is coming from but if we do a side by side comparison of post Pink Weezer compared to the first two albums the consistency just isn't there.

Another thing, on the old Rivers Conference Board or RCB he was very antagonistic toward fans of the early stuff. That turned some people off. Basically saying that if you loved the first two albums you didn't know what good music was. People were actually defending the value of TBA and Pinkerton......to Rivers! Very weird dynamic.

I'm not saying that there isn't good music to be had nowadays in Weezer world, because there most certainly is (i.e. Miss Sweeney, Hold Me, Run Away) but for my money it doesn't get better than those first two albums. Those records are widely considered influential albums and have been on lists of "best rock albums" ever in various magazines. Pinkerton is known as the foundation for the emo movement of the 2000's. Are there any post Pinkerton records you see as influential to music as a whole like those two were?

Bottom line is that if you love the new stuff then that's great, I never bust on people for what they like musically. I like jam band stuff but the majority of people hate it. Rivers is making the music he likes now and I respect that. That said, Blue and Pinkerton hold a special place for me.
You know I'm right...

j-biebs said:
Marc said:
Pinkerton is known as the foundation for the emo movement of the 2000's. Are there any post Pinkerton records you see as influential to music as a whole like those two were?

amen to that.

I agree, give Rivers a break. I would like to see you write as many great songs as he has. You have to look at Weezer's discography as a whole package. He's a great song writer. He's written easily over a hundred songs. The songs are different (thank god) and they sound great, each in their own way. He doesn't need your negative comments (he probably doesn't give a s***). What counts here is that he is very creative. If you're not happy, go follow another band who have released 8 albums of outstanding material (no one comes to mind).

Domenic Petrella said:
I agree, give Rivers a break. I would like to see you write as many great songs as he has. You have to look at Weezer's discography as a whole package. He's a great song writer. He's written easily over a hundred songs. The songs are different (thank god) and they sound great, each in their own way. He doesn't need your negative comments (he probably doesn't give a s***). What counts here is that he is very creative. If you're not happy, go follow another band who have released 8 albums of outstanding material (no one comes to mind).
I have no idea what your response is about.

SPAZMATIK1 said:

Domenic Petrella said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video