As many weezer fans do, i often wonder why i like thier old stuff so much better. And I think I might have figured it out. I don't think that they are really getting worse, I just think they aren't putting as much into their music. Let me explain, In Hurley, i liked most of what i heard, but almost every song never had anything extra. And what I mean by that is they have a constant beat which is never broken up by fills. They hardly ever use solo's (I started another post questioning their lack of guitar solo's). The songs are very regimented, verse, chourus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus. They don't really use intros or outros and they lack all the in between stuff that makes a song so great. I think thier songs (from hurley) are good, but need to be spiced up a bit. And I don't want to get into an argument over their lyrics, but I think overall they could use a lttle more detail. "In the rain, in the sun, everybody needs someone" it kind of brings me back to the blandness of the green album. Go back and listen to all the extra stuff in their old songs, hear all the great parts of songs that you love that don't take place during the main riff or the verse or chours. I don't know, what do you think?

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Emily completely! I think every album has been great in it's own right. The thing that truly makes Weezer a great band is their ability to grow and change over time. It is very much about a taste in music but if your more open minded about what you might get, the more you will get out of them as a band. The only album i feel wasn't whole-hearted was "Raditude", but even THAT was a pretty decent album. I recently checked out a forum about worst Weezer songs and was very surprised at some of the answers. I wonder if the fans now are looking more for being entertained for 30-40 minutes or to develop a connection with the band and their music.
I thought Hurley was really good. Call me crazy, it's not a return to the form of 90's but it's a very enjoyable record. Just my opinion, but Weezer isn't going anywhere. They're still a very good band. 
I really like what Weezer has done. I find myself (am I lost?) listening to the newer stuff more than Blue or Pinkerton.
This album actually grew on me, but I didn't like it at the start.

The reason the newer stuff is weaker is a combination of:

Rivers wanting to appeal to the masses ever since the failure of Pinkerton

Bad tracklist selection - I think every post-Pinkerton song has at least one bad track that could've been replaced with a far superior demo that we've heard from that era (they don't release some of their best stuff). The tracklist selection for The Red Album was terrible, and spoiled what could've been a classic.

Over-production (especially The Green Album) - this includes auto-tune! Get rid of it!

A lack of genuine emotion

Like the OP said, songs are also more formulaic in structure, with a few exceptions (e.g. TGMTEL and TAATO). We could do with more solos (and if there are solos, more interesting than the ones on Green), more 'Beach Boy breakdowns', and everything that made the first two albums fantastic.

There is no auto-tune on Weezer records.

There is genuine emotion, it's just not always pain.

If Rivers wanted to appeal to the masses, there would be no Raditude.

The tracklisting isn't always Weezer's decision (Geffen wanted the Red album to be "more commercial")

Humpty Dumpty said:

Bad tracklist selection - I think every post-Pinkerton song has at least one bad track that could've been replaced with a far superior demo that we've heard from that era (they don't release some of their best stuff). The tracklist selection for The Red Album was terrible, and spoiled what could've been a classic.

Over-production (especially The Green Album) - this includes auto-tune! Get rid of it!

Like the OP said, songs are also more formulaic in structure, with a few exceptions (e.g. TGMTEL and TAATO). We could do with more solos (and if there are solos, more interesting than the ones on Green), more 'Beach Boy breakdowns', and everything that made the first two albums fantastic.

There is an absolutely ludicrous amount of auto-tune on Rad and on quite a few Hurley songs. It was intentional because Rivers loves it and wanted to make Weezer sound more like top 40 acts.There is auto-tune and pitch-correction on just about every major release these days: Weezer is no different. Do you know what auto-tune is?

Your point 3 makes no sense. Raditude was him trying desperately to appeal to the masses. He just never foresaw that it would fail.

Radioactive said:

There is no auto-tune on Weezer records.

There is genuine emotion, it's just not always pain.

If Rivers wanted to appeal to the masses, there would be no Raditude.

The tracklisting isn't always Weezer's decision (Geffen wanted the Red album to be "more commercial")

Humpty Dumpty said:

hey look it's radioactive being clueless again.

IYWIIWYT(IWYT) is a pretty poppy song, but not nearly as bad as I'm Your Daddy and Girl Got Hot.  I can see those 2 songs solely being written to move units.

The fact that Can't Stop Partyin' wasn't released as a single is still confusing for me.  If River's wanted to be as popular as possible, he would have released that as a single.  Was something holding that up?  Lil Wayne not want another single on the charts?  i don't know.  hopefully some day we'll get an explanation.

Is radioactive clueless or just in denial?

rivers doesn't pick the singles.
do you think that has changed since their move to Epitaph?

kitten$ bieber ♥ said:
rivers doesn't pick the singles.

I think Rivers has a huge inner need to produce hits and be a perfect song writing machine.  He trys too hard. It hurts him.  I miss his guitar.  He used to write really amazing music, I think his focus on trying to pump out pop lyrics has hurt the music. 

I was/am a fan of Put Me Back Together.  We all have our things.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video