I am not sure what the craze is about this new Weezer album Hurley.  It's a solid album, but it;s certainly not the best post-Pinkerton Weezer moment.  In fact, stylistically, it's basically a Raditude Part II, except that the production is much rougher and the songs rock a little harder.  But as Raditude was the tighter album, why is it being knocked?  Can someone explain this to me?

Tags: Hurley, Raditude, better

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Someone just said that Hurley is musically superior. What gives?

CrackerJack said:
pinkerton junkie is right in this case.

its not even a matter of which you like more, its just than hurley is musically superior.

i am extemely new weezer fan, im 15. i got into them from red. and i think the older albums are far superior, although none of their albums are bad. lyrically, raditude was weak.
Hurley is head and shoulders above Ratitude. In my opinion it's the best post-pinkerton album on several levels. As far as why it's being knocked across the board, I can't tell you. But for me, it (Ratitude) felt like such an ejaculatory disappointment. It didn't seem thought out at all, which isn't a crime I guess. The songs are cheesy in content and composition. There are a couple of shining moments, but overall it's pretty forgettable.

Hurley, on the other hand, surprised me in a completely different way. The production is so unique on almost every song. It's almost as if each song is a different volume in a series or something. Although there are some weak point, it's a lot more solid and cohesive on the whole. Every song (except Trainwrecks) I've grown to treasure and hear something new and exciting every new listen.

Snickers, you're entitled to your own opinion, but I just wanted to give a little insight on why some on this board (including myself) are crazed about Hurley and not so much about Ratitude.
It is

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

CrackerJack said:

its not even a matter of which you like more, its just than hurley is musically superior.

i am extemely new weezer fan, im 15. i got into them from red. and i think the older albums are far superior, although none of their albums are bad. lyrically, raditude was weak.

CrackerJack said:
because raditude had about 3 original, good, creative songs. Hurley has....6, maybe 7.

in case your wondering,
trippin down the freeway

let it all hang out
I dont want to let you go

and IYWIIWYT is alright.

on hurley, basically every song except wheres my sex is very good, although even that song is better than half of raditude

Where's My Sex Is my second favorite song of Hurley
i agree that raditude is better. also, can't stop partying is brilliant.

Zak Barbezat said:

CrackerJack said:
because raditude had about 3 original, good, creative songs. Hurley has....6, maybe 7.

in case your wondering,
trippin down the freeway

let it all hang out
I dont want to let you go

and IYWIIWYT is alright.

on hurley, basically every song except wheres my sex is very good, although even that song is better than half of raditude

Where's My Sex Is my second favorite song of Hurley
hurley is so good. raditude sucked compared to it. the idea of someone believing can't stop partying is someones favorite weezer song is so f****** dumb that i can't believe you're actually a fan of weezer. sorry, but el scorcho is 109238021912 times better.

The dreWid said:
It is

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

CrackerJack said:

I haven't listened to an album so many times in a row as Hurley since the day I got Pinkerton... and that was about 13 years ago.

Hurley is fantastic. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. :P

I like quite a bit of Raditude, but my qualm lies in the fact that some of it sounds suspiciously auto-tuned. I don't care for auto-tune. Rivers has a wonderful voice; I don't like it to be technologically messed with.
As of now, I'd have to say that I like Raditude much more than Hurley. What I love about Raditude (after listening to it a bunch) is the entire album flows very, very well, moreso than any of their albums post-Pinkerton. It didn't feel like a random collection of songs.

Also, it really does feel like the most honest album they've done since Pinkerton. I think Pitchfork.com said it best that River's does really get into the mind of a 13-year old kid with Raditude, and that's not a bad thing to me. Thus, perhaps it may come off as immature to some listeners, but (maybe because I'm 22 so I'm still young) songs like Put Me Back Together and Tripping Down the Freeway really hit home emotionally to me. I did feel like I was back in junior high school or something when I listen to those songs. So, I actually get nostalgic listening to some songs on this album. The lyrics on many of the songs are just very fun, but also unpretentious. I think that's why the songs feel so honest to me.

As for the power-teeny boppy sound that Raditude has, I can definitely see why that's a turn-off for a ton of people, but I guess I dove into it and now I love it. It really is one of the most distinct albums Weezer has done, whereas with Hurley it didn't feel like that to me.

It's funny, I really thought Can't Stop Partying and Love is the Answer were really, really, really bad when I initially listened to them, but now I dig them. I think the demo version of Can't Stop Partying that's on River's solo albums is much, much, much better, though. But songs did grow on me--even In the Mall which I thought was incredibly boring is pretty catchy now. I do have to say for I Don't Want to let You Go, I wish they went with a sound similar to the demo version on River's solo album--that one felt much more exuberant and restrained.

I like the songs off Hurley--especially Trainwrecks, which I think has great lyrics--but overall I don't think Weezer took any risks with the album. It sounds like a lot of other pop rock songs out there. Unspoken is kinda catchy, but I don't it's as emotional or sad as people are making it out to be. I think the lyrics feel very trite, and the launch into explosive distortion near the end of the song was disappointing and felt like a cop out. Other than Trainwrecks and Memories, I thought most of the lyrics painted broad strokes. Although, Time Flies has some cool lyrics. The best song on the album, IMO, is their Yo Gabba Gabba song, but they didn't write that one right?

Anyways, I have to give Raditude the upperhand between the two albums. I have to say, I disagree when I hear people say Hurley is a darker album for Weezer--perhaps compared to Raditude, but that doesn't mean it's better and a "dark" album. It sounds a LOT like many mainstream pop rock albums out there--stuff from Blink 182 or something, for example.

Also, just to throw this out there since I just joined the message board, I'm a Blue Album and Pinkerton enthusiast, but I don't think they need to go back and recreate those same sounds--bands that try to do that never succeed. They just need to take risks and make genuinely substantial music.
who... are.. you..

and is anyone else creeped out by his picture?
The fact that you refered to a new weezer fan as a "noob" makes you a twat and your opinion invalid.

pinkertonjunkie said:
... you seem like a noob for liking raditude this much. but ok..

Snickers (ka.jr) said:
since the green album came out. but my first weezer albums i bought were blue and pink, i decided not to buy hurley, maladroit, or make believe, but they're alright.

pinkertonjunkie said:
how long have you been a weezer fan for? no lying.

Snickers (ka.jr) said:
Interesting...but i got a different feel from hurley - the feel i got was this new weezer dressed in a heavier disguise - there was nothing about it to me that felt classic - and i LOVE can't stop partying. i think it's terifically done.
The synth-boosted Cant Stop Partying is far superior to the horrible wandering guitar riff and improvised vocals (And terrible solo) of El Scorcho. Lyrically Cant Stop Partying is much simpler (considering its written by lil wayne) and El Scorcho has much more diverse lyrics about opera or something.
Overall Can't Stop Partying is a much nicer listen and is musically superior (melody-wise).

pinkertonjunkie said:
hurley is so good. raditude sucked compared to it. the idea of someone believing can't stop partying is someones favorite weezer song is so f****** dumb that i can't believe you're actually a fan of weezer. sorry, but el scorcho is 109238021912 times better.

The dreWid said:
It is

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

CrackerJack said:

WOW That was the best post ever. Totally agree with you on almost every point except that I think Can't Stop Partying is probably the highlight from Raditude and I actually like the production on that song. I like how you said that Raditude is the most honest album post-Pinkerton. I think that may actually be Make Believe, but Raditude is very daring, much more so than Hurley, which sounds to me like a fan-conscious decision to get back to basics. Raditude also has an excellent flow (except maybe In the Mall?), and I still haven't made up my mind about Love is the Answer. It's not my cup of tea, and it may actually be a good song, it' s just that the production and attack on that song makes it feel pretty, dumb. And I'm a Blue Album and Pinkerton enthusiast too so it's not like I'm making this up. Weezer has a history of releasing very daring albums (comercially and artistically), and facing fan hatred until time goes by and we go back to them and see how good they actually are. That's what happened with Pinkerton. Fans dismissed it wanting the juicy bubblegum pop of the Blue, then Green came out with more of the same, and fans wanted the more brutal honesty of Pinkerton. When Make Believe came out that was attacked too, and time went by and we realized that yea, that album isn't so great. In fact, the only two albums that Weezer made that weren't daring (what the fans wanted) were Hurley and Maladroit. Both albums are probably the most forgettable in Weezer's catalog.
hi
boney king said:
As of now, I'd have to say that I like Raditude much more than Hurley. What I love about Raditude (after listening to it a bunch) is the entire album flows very, very well, moreso than any of their albums post-Pinkerton. It didn't feel like a random collection of songs.

Also, it really does feel like the most honest album they've done since Pinkerton. I think Pitchfork.com said it best that River's does really get into the mind of a 13-year old kid with Raditude, and that's not a bad thing to me. Thus, perhaps it may come off as immature to some listeners, but (maybe because I'm 22 so I'm still young) songs like Put Me Back Together and Tripping Down the Freeway really hit home emotionally to me. I did feel like I was back in junior high school or something when I listen to those songs. So, I actually get nostalgic listening to some songs on this album. The lyrics on many of the songs are just very fun, but also unpretentious. I think that's why the songs feel so honest to me.

As for the power-teeny boppy sound that Raditude has, I can definitely see why that's a turn-off for a ton of people, but I guess I dove into it and now I love it. It really is one of the most distinct albums Weezer has done, whereas with Hurley it didn't feel like that to me.

It's funny, I really thought Can't Stop Partying and Love is the Answer were really, really, really bad when I initially listened to them, but now I dig them. I think the demo version of Can't Stop Partying that's on River's solo albums is much, much, much better, though. But songs did grow on me--even In the Mall which I thought was incredibly boring is pretty catchy now. I do have to say for I Don't Want to let You Go, I wish they went with a sound similar to the demo version on River's solo album--that one felt much more exuberant and restrained.

I like the songs off Hurley--especially Trainwrecks, which I think has great lyrics--but overall I don't think Weezer took any risks with the album. It sounds like a lot of other pop rock songs out there. Unspoken is kinda catchy, but I don't it's as emotional or sad as people are making it out to be. I think the lyrics feel very trite, and the launch into explosive distortion near the end of the song was disappointing and felt like a cop out. Other than Trainwrecks and Memories, I thought most of the lyrics painted broad strokes. Although, Time Flies has some cool lyrics. The best song on the album, IMO, is their Yo Gabba Gabba song, but they didn't write that one right?

Anyways, I have to give Raditude the upperhand between the two albums. I have to say, I disagree when I hear people say Hurley is a darker album for Weezer--perhaps compared to Raditude, but that doesn't mean it's better and a "dark" album. It sounds a LOT like many mainstream pop rock albums out there--stuff from Blink 182 or something, for example.

Also, just to throw this out there since I just joined the message board, I'm a Blue Album and Pinkerton enthusiast, but I don't think they need to go back and recreate those same sounds--bands that try to do that never succeed. They just need to take risks and make genuinely substantial music.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video