I am not sure what the craze is about this new Weezer album Hurley.  It's a solid album, but it;s certainly not the best post-Pinkerton Weezer moment.  In fact, stylistically, it's basically a Raditude Part II, except that the production is much rougher and the songs rock a little harder.  But as Raditude was the tighter album, why is it being knocked?  Can someone explain this to me?

Tags: Hurley, Raditude, better

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Calling Hurley "Raditude part 2" is not accurate. That would imply the albums have the same general "sound." There's a certain heaviness to the rock parts of Hurley that aren't present in Raditude. As far as context goes, I could see Smart Girls and Where's My Sex on Raditude and the other way I could see Girl Got Hot or Put Me Back Together on Hurley, but the fine details would have to be changed. This is how an album should sound when released less than a year after another album. A step forward with the sound.

Raditude is not the tighter album. You might like it more, but fact is Hurley flows much better because is doesn't have such drastic genre changes. Going from Girl Got Hot to Can't Stop Partying to Put Me Back Together is like an iPod on shuffle. Sure they may have been going for that effect, it's a cool effect...but people would rather have a coherent flow on an album. Hurley doesn't have any changed like that and just flows better/is tighter.

But neither are the best post-pink album.

Oh, and

LOL
I think that Hurley is similar to Raditude in the sense that it continues the collaborations. The only main difference between the two albums is that Hurley is heavier (production-wise) and less focused on "hits", whereas Raditude is squeaky clean and overproduced. I disagree that Hurley is tighter. I think that the style of Hurley is very undefined, it's not sure whether its a classic rock album or a modern pop album. What holds it together is Cuomo's signature print, meaning that it all has Weezer-flavor. Raditude, on the other hand, is completely definable, it IS a sampler of late 00's pop, from rap-rock (Can't Stop Partying is like a response to Rihanna's Umbrella) to heavy metal (In the Mall) to arena synth-rock (I'm Your Daddy) aka The Killers

G Foo Chombey said:
Calling Hurley "Raditude part 2" is not accurate. That would imply the albums have the same general "sound." There's a certain heaviness to the rock parts of Hurley that aren't present in Raditude. As far as context goes, I could see Smart Girls and Where's My Sex on Raditude and the other way I could see Girl Got Hot or Put Me Back Together on Hurley, but the fine details would have to be changed. This is how an album should sound when released less than a year after another album. A step forward with the sound.

Raditude is not the tighter album. You might like it more, but fact is Hurley flows much better because is doesn't have such drastic genre changes. Going from Girl Got Hot to Can't Stop Partying to Put Me Back Together is like an iPod on shuffle. Sure they may have been going for that effect, it's a cool effect...but people would rather have a coherent flow on an album. Hurley doesn't have any changed like that and just flows better/is tighter.

But neither are the best post-pink album.

Oh, and

Can't Stop Partying is epic

CrackerJack said:
GET THE F*** OUT

Snickers (ka.jr) said:
4) Can't Stop Partying vs Unspoken = Can't Stop Partying
epic would be you being banned. epic would be can't stop partying never being played live again. epic would be if weezer worked out can't stop partying to sound good. epic would be if this conversation ended because i'm pretty f****** sick of you saying can't stop partying is the best weezer song. go suck a c*** and go home.

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

CrackerJack said:
GET THE F*** OUT

Snickers (ka.jr) said:
Whoa man you need to chill...

pinkertonjunkie said:
epic would be you being banned. epic would be can't stop partying never being played live again. epic would be if weezer worked out can't stop partying to sound good. epic would be if this conversation ended because i'm pretty f****** sick of you saying can't stop partying is the best weezer song. go suck a c*** and go home.

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

CrackerJack said:
GET THE F*** OUT

Snickers (ka.jr) said:
Hurley is the best album since Make Believe. Raditude had a couple good songs, but was a little disappointing. Hurley is much better.

Snickers (ka.jr) said:
it's not sure whether its a classic rock album or a modern pop album.
[Raditude] IS a sampler of late 00's pop, from rap-rock (Can't Stop Partying is like a response to Rihanna's Umbrella) to heavy metal (In the Mall) to arena synth-rock (I'm Your Daddy) aka The Killers

So the reason you think Hurley is less solid is the same reason you think Raditude is solid?
Can't Stop Partying is not Weezer's best song. It sounds like you are very angry. You should listen to "This is Such a Pity". It will help you get over this difficult time.

pinkertonjunkie said:

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

CrackerJack said:
GET THE F*** OUT

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

Hurley doesn't have a genre, bouncing around, hitting random subgenres of alternative rock, but it doesn't sound as cohesive, tight, or focused to me.
Snickers (ka.jr) said:
it's not sure whether its a classic rock album or a modern pop album.
[Raditude] IS a sampler of late 00's pop, from rap-rock (Can't Stop Partying is like a response to Rihanna's Umbrella) to heavy metal (In the Mall) to arena synth-rock (I'm Your Daddy) aka The Killers

So the reason you think Hurley is less solid is the same reason you think Raditude is solid?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video