I am not sure what the craze is about this new Weezer album Hurley.  It's a solid album, but it;s certainly not the best post-Pinkerton Weezer moment.  In fact, stylistically, it's basically a Raditude Part II, except that the production is much rougher and the songs rock a little harder.  But as Raditude was the tighter album, why is it being knocked?  Can someone explain this to me?

Tags: Hurley, Raditude, better

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL - i almost choked on my food there. Um, so yea, Can't Stop Partying is excellent, obviously a far more mature statement then something like El Scorcho, but I disagree that it's the better song. El Scorcho is sort of representative of Pinkerton, and the "horrible wandering guitar riff" is actually a quirky decision in rivers's taste and sort of a conscious parody of Pavement's loopiness. I agree it's not to everyone's taste. I had trouble swallowing the chorus of El Scorcho and I sort of wish it was replaced by something like Devotion, because I feel like "No Other One" already makes the point with its much superior opening riff. But the thing about El Scorcho is its so damn honest. It starts out with these nonsensical lyrics and then its almost as if Rivers couldn't hold back how he really felt "How stupid is it? I can't talk about it" It's almost suggesting that he's running from the truth by writing these crazy pop/rock songs. That's a major statement, and that sort of makes El Scorcho a great song, especially coming from an album like Pinkerton. So yea, disagree with you on that one, indiekid, but i see what you're saying. More love to "Can't Stop Partying"

Indiekid said:
The synth-boosted Cant Stop Partying is far superior to the horrible wandering guitar riff and improvised vocals (And terrible solo) of El Scorcho. Lyrically Cant Stop Partying is much simpler (considering its written by lil wayne) and El Scorcho has much more diverse lyrics about opera or something.
Overall Can't Stop Partying is a much nicer listen and is musically superior (melody-wise).

pinkertonjunkie said:
hurley is so good. raditude sucked compared to it. the idea of someone believing can't stop partying is someones favorite weezer song is so f****** dumb that i can't believe you're actually a fan of weezer. sorry, but el scorcho is 109238021912 times better.

The dreWid said:
It is

Snickers (ka.jr) said:
Someone just said that Hurley is musically superior. What gives?

CrackerJack said:
pinkerton junkie is right in this case.

its not even a matter of which you like more, its just than hurley is musically superior.

i am extemely new weezer fan, im 15. i got into them from red. and i think the older albums are far superior, although none of their albums are bad. lyrically, raditude was weak.
my name is snickers. you killed my father. prepare to die.

Memories Tour 4 Australia said:
who... are.. you..

and is anyone else creeped out by his picture?
I get what youre saying about Rivers' emotions and they cover every song on Pinkerton but i still think the guitar riff is terrible, the chorus is ok and Rivers' vocals are fine, its just the back up vocals that sound badly improvised. People always talk about pinkerton featuring musical composition stuff Rivers learned at Harvard but... Its hardly well composed is it? Personally im not a huge fan of Pinkerton, i like it but its not the best

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

who... are.. you..

Hmm...I don't know how to respond to that because Pinkerton is now an established cult classic, so to criticize a song like El Scorcho sounds either naieve or radical. You might not like it because its quirky, but that doesn't mean its not well-written. Pinkerton isn't tight in the way that the Blue Album or the Green Album are tight, it feels very messy and claustrophobic, but the difference is that the songwriting feels very inspired, very original, as if coming from an entirely different place. Its sort of what happens when you mate the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds with something brutal and visceral like Surfer Rosa. Its not supposed to sound nice, pleasant, clean, or any other adjectives you would use to describe most of Weezer's music. Its sort of the anamoly in their catalog; its a true emo record, whether it was intended to be or not. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but as a Weezer fan, I would take serious effort to give Pinkerton a couple more tries. I would first give Pavement's Slanted & Enchanted a listen and maybe the Pixies' Surfer Rosa. These albums are less accessible then Pinkerton, but will give you a good idea on what's going on in El Scorcho, and why that riff works the way it does.

Indiekid said:
I get what youre saying about Rivers' emotions and they cover every song on Pinkerton but i still think the guitar riff is terrible, the chorus is ok and Rivers' vocals are fine, its just the back up vocals that sound badly improvised. People always talk about pinkerton featuring musical composition stuff Rivers learned at Harvard but... Its hardly well composed is it? Personally im not a huge fan of Pinkerton, i like it but its not the best

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

who... are.. you..

Raditude has I'm Your Daddy (great), IYWIIWYTIWYT (catchy), I Don't Want To Let You Go (fantastic). Deluxe tracks don't count for purposes of comparison. Prettiest Girl would be the best song on the record though, and Run Over By A Truck is great.

Hurley has Unspoken (fantastic), Run Away (fantastic), Memories (fantastic), Time Flies (great), Smart Girls (catchy & raw, I wish I'm Ur Daddy has production more in line with this), Hang On (could be a great single).

Hurley wins. Raditude is a big shiny pop record that's fun for what it is, but it also sounds more hollow, (and I'll admit that could be a superficial reading, given I don't think it's much more shallow than Hurley) and doesn't scream out for repeat plays. Hurley feels a little darker, a little edgier. Derp.

I like my Weezer with a little darkness, or melancholy.
I get the feeling you think i dont like pinkerton at all but i do like it but it just doesnt make me feel excited like green or blue do. I just dont believe el scorcho is a great song, i dont like really "emo" weezer. Thats not why i listen to music but i do like all Weezer albums just Pinkerton isnt the best and El Scorcho is (In My opinion) one of Rivers' worst songs.

Snickers (ka.jr) said:
Hmm...I don't know how to respond to that because Pinkerton is now an established cult classic, so to criticize a song like El Scorcho sounds either naieve or radical. You might not like it because its quirky, but that doesn't mean its not well-written. Pinkerton isn't tight in the way that the Blue Album or the Green Album are tight, it feels very messy and claustrophobic, but the difference is that the songwriting feels very inspired, very original, as if coming from an entirely different place. Its sort of what happens when you mate the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds with something brutal and visceral like Surfer Rosa. Its not supposed to sound nice, pleasant, clean, or any other adjectives you would use to describe most of Weezer's music. Its sort of the anamoly in their catalog; its a true emo record, whether it was intended to be or not. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but as a Weezer fan, I would take serious effort to give Pinkerton a couple more tries. I would first give Pavement's Slanted & Enchanted a listen and maybe the Pixies' Surfer Rosa. These albums are less accessible then Pinkerton, but will give you a good idea on what's going on in El Scorcho, and why that riff works the way it does.

Indiekid said:

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

who... are.. you..

Not a bad analysis, because you noticed that the records are very similar, except for production values. A lot of people complain about the auto-tune on Revers's voice and the shiny, squeaky guitar-work aka Good Charlotte, but Raditude was designed to be that way. I dunno I like the production value on I'm Your Daddy. I'm not sure if it would sound right with raw guitar. It comes down to a matter of opinion, but I think Raditude is the tighter, better written album, it sounds like a lot of work went into it, whereas Hurley has this spur of the moment intensity to it, that falls short of greatness. Here's my song by song comparison anyways.

1) IYWIIWYTIWYT vs Memories = IYWIIWYT - it's a catchier song, and the bridge is perfect. memories is a fail in my book, trying to filter arcade fire through new weezer grandiosity.
2) I'm Your Daddy vs Ruling Me = Ruling Me - Both great songs, but I still don't get what Rivers is trying to say with "I'm Your Daddy". Is that creepy honesty, or a parody of something?
3) The Girl Got Hot - vs Train Wrecks = The Girl Got Hot (by a lot). Train Wrecks sounds like a weird attempt at capturing Fleetwood Mac. Unlike Rivers's best songs, it gets worse with repeated listens, not better. The Girl Got Hot on the other hand, is like Keep Fishin' Part 2, with its Gary Glitter stomp, its pretty awesome.
4) Can't Stop Partying vs Unspoken = Can't Stop Partying is Epic. Unspoken is being talked about by old fans as if its this new classic on the level of Pinkerton. I couldn't disagree more. It's a solid song, but its trivial, amped up by its production sounds really nice, but not a great song.
5) Put Me Back Together vs Where's My Sex? - Easy. Put Me Back Together is like Taylor Swift on androids. Where's My Sex is like "Is She really Going Out with Him?" meets Weezer's "My Best Friend" meets Maladroit-style chorus. It's an odd song. It's not tightly written, and it's not that funny or cute, but it has a lot of energy.
6) Trippin down the Freeway vs Run Away = Run Away. Trippin down the Freeway is like b-side Green Day, and its largely forgettable, though a well-written song. Run Away is really something special, probably the only song on Hurley that recalls Pinkerton, although not a miniature masterpiece, it does recapture some of Weezer's earlier glory
7) Love is the Answer vs Hang On = Love is the Answer is the one weak spot on Raditude, although the album wouldn't have worked without this track because its so damn brave and ostentatious, and that's the whole point of Raditude. Hang On is not the radio hit it wants to be, its not nearly as catchy as it wants to be, but it is better than love is the answer, so, yea.
8) Let It All Hang Out vs Smart Girls = Both are excellent songs, and its a tie.
9) In the Mall vs Brave New World = Both are somewhat flawed, but Brave New World (i'm going out on a limb here) has a better chorus so I have to go with brave New World. In the Mall is perfectly positioned on Raditude for the proper flow, but it feels a little bit like commercial Sonic Youth, and I'm not sure how right that is.
10) I Don't Want to Let You Go vs Time Flies = I Don't Want to Let You Go is one of the most beautiful songs Rivers has ever written, and is probably weezer's best album closer after butterfly.

Now, ask yourself truly, what great songs have come from Hurley? Arguably nothing. Maybe Smart Girls, Run Away, and Ruling Me are highlights, but they're not up to the epic quality of Can't Stop Partying, I don't Want to let you go, and put me back together. sorry. but raditude is stronger.
but liste -

ItsBimblyBitch said:
Raditude has I'm Your Daddy (great), IYWIIWYTIWYT (catchy), I Don't Want To Let You Go (fantastic). Deluxe tracks don't count for purposes of comparison. Prettiest Girl would be the best song on the record though, and Run Over By A Truck is great.

Hurley has Unspoken (fantastic), Run Away (fantastic), Memories (fantastic), Time Flies (great), Smart Girls (catchy & raw, I wish I'm Ur Daddy has production more in line with this), Hang On (could be a great single).

Hurley wins. Raditude is a big shiny pop record that's fun for what it is, but it also sounds more hollow, (and I'll admit that could be a superficial reading, given I don't think it's much more shallow than Hurley) and doesn't scream out for repeat plays. Hurley feels a little darker, a little edgier. Derp.

I like my Weezer with a little darkness, or melancholy.
Hurly would win no question ,
Raditude wasn't a bad album but it wasn't a weezer album , u know it was more like experimenting with there sound 
And one song that sounded like a weezer son was trippin' and let it all hang out 
You're an expert troll, without a doubt.

Can't Stop Partying on Raditude has had its life sucked out of it. It sounds like a joke. Any sadness that existed in the demo version is completely lost, and what we're left with is a big dumb party anthem that could have been recorded by any number of bands. The original RC demo was as perfect as the song will ever be. When I think of Weezer, I think of unique, and the Raditude era version does not fit the bill. A sad (ironic given what was lost in translation) attempt at gaining a top 40 hit.

I don't fawn over Ruling Me like most. It's OK. The autotune within the first 20 seconds ruins it. It's so obvious, and sounds FAR worse than a bum note would have. I listened to the live AOL take and Varz massacred the same bit that they attempted to cover on the album "you act like you --> AINT <-- at ho-ome", but damn! That's fine! Leave it on! It's cool, sounds emotive. Anyway, this song is largely 5/10 for me. It sounds like any band, save for some clever lyrics.

Memories is unmistakably Weezer. Raw production, great chorus (as classic as any Weezer, check out the E over the F chord (or whatever, my guitar might be in Eb or D or worse) in the first note of the chorus melody-- that's classic Varz people!! The lyrics are also personal, and really remind me of an updated The Good Life. When people talk about wanting Weezer to go back to Pinkerton, I think they fail to realize that a lot of the great song tropes from that era will have to be filtered through a 40 year old man. I think this song does a good job of that. The bridge is phenomenal. Sure I'd love for Varz to go back to f***** up, and beautiful chord progressions like in Falling For You... maybe in time, but this is great for now. The melody is wonderful in Memories, for all of its simplicity. In his best songs, Varz picks interesting notes to sing over standard chord progressions. He does it here and it's great.

Run Away is emotive, and raw. Winner.

Rivers sounds like he did on the Blue album on Unspoken! Well, as close as he can get some 16 years later. The string arrangement is absolutely fantastic and elevates the song. The explosion at the end is great. I can't say enough about it. 2006/7 was a really fertile, great period for RC.

I'm Your Daddy is utterly fantastic, by the way. It sounds like late 70s/early 80's Cheap Trick. It's funny and quirky, and the hook of "I'm your daddy" is unexpected. I don't get a creepy vibe... no more so than "She's Tight" with CT. It's great. A 2000 classic. Smart Girls follows this tradition, despite being not quite as good. It sounds way better though. Anyway, I definitely love both of those songs. Oh, and about IYD not sounding right raw-- check out the Yahoo performance right before the album dropped. It'll change your mind.

"Now, ask yourself truly, what great songs have come from Hurley? Arguably nothing." <- this sentence is hilarious. Hang On, Run Away, Unspoken, Memories, Time Flies, Smart Girls.
Dude mean no offence but rivers and jermain dupre (I think that's his name ) wrote can't stop parting 

Indiekid said:
The synth-boosted Cant Stop Partying is far superior to the horrible wandering guitar riff and improvised vocals (And terrible solo) of El Scorcho. Lyrically Cant Stop Partying is much simpler (considering its written by lil wayne) and El Scorcho has much more diverse lyrics about opera or something. Overall Can't Stop Partying is a much nicer listen and is musically superior (melody-wise).

pinkertonjunkie said:
hurley is so good. raditude sucked compared to it. the idea of someone believing can't stop partying is someones favorite weezer song is so f****** dumb that i can't believe you're actually a fan of weezer. sorry, but el scorcho is 109238021912 times better.

The dreWid said:
It is

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

CrackerJack said:

its not even a matter of which you like more, its just than hurley is musically superior.

i am extemely new weezer fan, im 15. i got into them from red. and i think the older albums are far superior, although none of their albums are bad. lyrically, raditude was weak.
Dude mean no offence but rivers and jermain dupre (I think that's his name ) wrote can't stop parting Not lil wayne

Indiekid said:
The synth-boosted Cant Stop Partying is far superior to the horrible wandering guitar riff and improvised vocals (And terrible solo) of El Scorcho. Lyrically Cant Stop Partying is much simpler (considering its written by lil wayne) and El Scorcho has much more diverse lyrics about opera or something. Overall Can't Stop Partying is a much nicer listen and is musically superior (melody-wise).

pinkertonjunkie said:

The dreWid said:
It is

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

CrackerJack said:

I am aware of that. But its mainly written by lil wayne

pinecone said:
Dude mean no offence but rivers and jermain dupre (I think that's his name ) wrote can't stop parting 

Indiekid said:

pinkertonjunkie said:

The dreWid said:
It is

Snickers (ka.jr) said:

CrackerJack said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video