Am I the only one who thinks that the bonus tracks on Hurley are pretty weak. This is kinda strange to me, since Red and Rad have really good deluxe edition bonus tracks. All My Friends Are Insects is really the only one I listened to more than twice. Viva La Vida barely sounds like Weezer, and I Want To Be Something and Represent are just overall weak tracks, lyrically and musically.

Miss Sweeney, The Spider, Pig, and King were definately worth the extra 3 bucks or so, and TPGITWWW, Get Me Some, Run Over By A Truck, and The Underdogs may be better than half the songs on Raditude

It kinda makes me regret spending the extra money on the Hurley deluxe edition? Kinda

EDIT: I know Viva La Vida is a cover of the Coldplay song. I meant that it didn't have that Weezer feel to it. Before I heard it, I was thinking they'd make the cover a little more original.

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that usually for the past 2 records they have put the better songs as the 4 deluxe. But on this one the whole cd is good and deluxe is kind of lame. I like Insects and I Want To Be Something. The other 2 are awful.
Viva La Vida barely sounds like Weezer

I wonder why...
Haha... I know it's not Weezer's song, but I thought they would try to make their cover sound more original
Viva La Vida. The Coldplay cover
Finally, someone who doesn't think "I want to be something" is some great song. It blows.
Insects and Represent are amazing. Better than Time Flies anyway....
The plus here is, the deluxe editions don't have a bunch of good songs that SHOULD be on the album like Red/Rad. It's not that much more. I personally think it's worth it for "I Want to Be Something" alone. It IS a great song.

Reviewers/critics only review the standard edition of the albums, so songs like Sweeney or Run Over by a Truck or even Prettiest Girl don't get any cred.

lol @ viva la vida not sounding like Weezer...
That Viva la Vida recording doesn't have anyone else from the band though as far as I know - isn't it just Rivers on vocals, Josh on percussion, and some other session musicians on piano and strings? Certainly not a bad cover though, I quite like it - better than the original, over-produced, Brian Eno-aphied version.

I'm not that into Insects, and Represent still kinda stinks of soccer anthem to me, but I McLove the heck out of I Want to Be Something, although its probably just the home recording from the 4/5 Stars selection. Still great nonetheless.

Atually, just realised - the deluxe edition of Hurley didn't include anything extra in the booklet, which adds to its weakness compared to Red and Rad deluxe. Bummmmer.
Yeah i was there, it wasn't even Josh on percussion if i remember correctly...just some random dude.

Bad Finger Boogie said:
That Viva la Vida recording doesn't have anyone else from the band though as far as I know - isn't it just Rivers on vocals, Josh on percussion, and some other session musicians on piano and strings? Certainly not a bad cover though, I quite like it - better than the original, over-produced, Brian Eno-aphied version.
I like the bonus tracks. But the Red and Raditude tracks were a whole lot better. Some of those bonus tracks should've made the album.
i've never liked it either.

all my friends.. - good song but i don't get why people think it's so endearing that it sounds like a kids song, i think that's pretty f******* lame.
viva.. - bare bones basic. its not bad but there's nothing uniquely weezer about it. and i hate coldplay
i want to be.. - don't get why people love it.
represent - is this song just a b-side from the hurley sessions? nothing special.

BackToSchool said:
Finally, someone who doesn't think "I want to be something" is some great song. It blows.
Rivers wrote Represent for the US World Cup team. They released it on iTunes for free for a week this summer.

anarchocapitalist said:
i've never liked it either.

all my friends.. - good song but i don't get why people think it's so endearing that it sounds like a kids song, i think that's pretty f******* lame.
viva.. - bare bones basic. its not bad but there's nothing uniquely weezer about it. and i hate coldplay
i want to be.. - don't get why people love it.
represent - is this song just a b-side from the hurley sessions? nothing special.

BackToSchool said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video