what is it about "heartsongs" that people don't like?  

trying to learn.........

Views: 1580

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

How old are you again???????????????? I don't think you get the meaning behind Undone.

Radioactive said:
How can anyone accuse a Weezer song of being bad because it's cheesy?  "Undone" was cheesy and no one's calling that bad.

billybob132 said:
As other have said, the song is just too cheesy.  The lyrics, production, everything.  I also find it to be one of the most boring and monotonous songs in your discography.  It's just the same riff over and over again, even with the big rockout at the end.  The melody (or lack thereof) is just not strong.
you guys just don't know how to evaluate a song. radioactive has that shlit down.
"why don't you guys like can't stop partying?" let's hope that discussion pops up someday. 

fluck said:
kind of hoping this turns into a series of threads in which rivers asks about other bad weezer songs.
Heart Songs isn't bad. It isn't great either. There are way more problematic Weezer songs that I dislike more. But I think that's why Rivers is asking about Heart Songs. It's not one of the obvious abortions, yet it was never embraced by the fan base either. It's heartfelt. Climactic. You can tell Rivers spent more than 5 minutes writing it. Decent to sometimes strong melodies. The song's main flaw is it's cheese factor. Weezer has good cheese and bad cheese, but Heart Songs dips too far to the bad side of the cheese meter. The R&B style doesn't quite suit them very well here. The phrase "heart songs" alone is already a bad start. And the chorus lyrics are questionable. "And when I wake for goodness sake." For goodness sake? What? I don't understand the use of that phrase there.

It's one of those songs that could have used a decent outsider's perspective and possibly could have been saved.

To me, I think Heartsongs is a very good song, but i'm not sure it's a good 'Weezer' song. It just lacks the drive and feel that defines a 'Weezer' track.

It's a similar situation with 'The damage in your heart' where I think it's so close to having all the elements that make up a 'Weezer' track but somewhere along the way just misses.

The crunchy guitars, wailing vocals, driving bass lines, etc.

I still enjoy the track, but those are my observations!

After reading all the replies, what I found
interesting was the difference of opinions
of the song. I must admit I listened to heart
songs on the way to work. It's a great song it's clever
 the way it tells the story of someones musical
 journey, from loving music to being in a band
although the bands rivers cites may not be of my
 era. Im still able to put the music that means so
much to me into my own heart songs formula!
But I'm not in a successful rock band!!

Keep these great songs coming rivers!!!  

G
E

Tim Plamondon said:

To me, I think Heartsongs is a very good song, but i'm not sure it's a good 'Weezer' song. It just lacks the drive and feel that defines a 'Weezer' track.

It's a similar situation with 'The damage in your heart' where I think it's so close to having all the elements that make up a 'Weezer' track but somewhere along the way just misses.

Damn iPhone 

Nickolas said:
After reading all the replies, what I found interesting was the difference of opinions of the song. I must admit I listened to heart
songs on the way to work. It's a great song it's clever
 the way it tells the story of someones musical
 journey, from loving music to being in a band
although the bands rivers cites may not be of my
 era. Im still able to put the music that means so
much to me into my own heart songs formula!
But I'm not in a successful rock band!!

Keep these great songs coming rivers!!!  

G
E

Tim Plamondon said:

The Damage In Your Heart needs the State Farm treatment™.

Tim Plamondon said:

A couple of my friends (also huge Weezer fans) thought it was too cheesy. Most specifically: "had a baby on it. He was naked on it." It's one of the few Weezer songs I'm not a big fan of.
First off, I like the song and I do remember all those artists you talk about. I was a fan of those bands that "taught you how to shred" in the 80s so the song brought back memories. Analyzing song structure, however, the folky structure seems like it may turn off some of the listeners who expected some crunchy guitars somewhere in the track (kind of what you did later with "unspoken" on Hurley). Still, you mention Maiden, Slayer, Judas Priest, and Springsteen, three of my "heart song" favorites, and you played "time" (one of my heart songs) on the red album tour, extending the Heart Songs idea, so I like the song and all it stands for on the album and on the tour for TRA. 
That's an interesting point. Now that you mention it, it does seem a bit mechanical and not as spontaneous as so many other Weezer tracks. Also, coming from an insider this really adds an interesting perspective. On the subject, I got the same feeling with the album version of "Can't stop partying", although the Coconut Teaser version (iTunes special edition) with its Cheap Trick vibe and the Alone 2 version serm heartfelt.

Pat Wilson said:
It sounds like it was scripted and not played.
Honestly guys, Rivers is asking why people don't like the song. So if you have nothing but praise for it, you may as well not post in this thread because if you aren't critiquing you are missing the point and just using this as an opportunity to kiss Rivers' ass. Which is fine, but do it someplace else. imo.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video