what is it about "heartsongs" that people don't like?  

trying to learn.........

Views: 1582

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Listen to devotion rivers

That song is the epitome of weezer. It's the perfect example of what makes weezer great. Beautiful guitar parts, beautiful melody and harmonies, nice lyrics.

I just wanna hear something ambitious and new out of you guys. The music industry might be in the tubes and it may be harder to sell albums but you don't just give up. You do something that's special to get people talking.

Hopefully those new songs will be able to do that, the guitars and music sound wicked.

As other have said, the song is just too cheesy.  The lyrics, production, everything.  I also find it to be one of the most boring and monotonous songs in your discography.  It's just the same riff over and over again, even with the big rockout at the end.  The melody (or lack thereof) is just not strong.

"And if that gets your creative juices going then I’m all for it. I just think that you have to better filter our stuff that will appeal to your fanbase. Not necessarily pandering, just realizing something like Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World is one of the best things you guys have done ever and deserved to be on the standard version of Raditude. Or that Run Over By A Truck deserved to. Or that Pig and Sweeney (because they are indeed amazing) deserved to be on standard Red instead of Cold Dark World and, yes, Heart Songs. Because that too is another reason for the animosity: the fact that those two songs made the cut but Sweeney and Pig (which fit in with the “experimental” nature of The Red Album in their own right) are regulated to deluxe status thus going mostly unnoticed by the general audience."

This whole paragraph rivers. It says it all. Every post pinkerton album has had some great songs but there always has to be a few that cheese it up and screw up what could of been a great album.

Part of me really wants you to go back to the basics of recording. Don't overwork with computers. Get in the room with a band, write great melodies, be ambitious, do something new, write poetic/interesting lyrics, and use the guitar like never before.

What if this was a trick question the whole time?  There was never a song called "Heartsongs", but there was a song on the Red album called "Heart Songs".  Yes, I'm nitpicking.
All of me wants this.

Daniel Gasparini ( Danorganplaye said:

Part of me really wants you to go back to the basics of recording. Don't overwork with computers. Get in the room with a band, write great melodies, be ambitious, do something new, write poetic/interesting lyrics, and use the guitar like never before.

With what Dan said, I had a thought that it would be innovative by going back to your past sound.  EVERYBODY is making simple songs now.  It'll be hard to find a Top 40 hit that is complex.  I believe that trying to get with the times is the very reason why Weezer isn't still as popular as they once were.  Weezer just becomes like every other band by doing so instead of being a band that sets them apart from the rest.

Everyone enjoys something different, and going back to your past sound really would be doing something innovative in today's music.  I mean, the Memories tour was a success, wasn't it?  You say that you want to reintroduce yourselves to a new audience?  Then don't give them what they've been hearing.  Give them what we used to hear. 

I first heard heart songs on iheartradio at work and only really heard the music and the title. I thought it was a love song about a girl, thus I decided I wanted to play it at my wedding. Well I bought the cd and skipped over to that track and realized it's not about a boy and a girl. I listened to it anyway and realized it was about all the people who influenced your music. Since I am one of those in the "younger" generation, I had to google some names to find out who they were. I felt it was genuine even though it wasn't "Weezer" as some are saying. Didn't realize you guys HAD to fit into a mold. 

Needless to say, I like the song and will probably still play it at my wedding. 

I actually like the production; the Red Album is one of the best-sounding rock albums of the last five years. You can tell a lot of care went into the instrumentation choice and the band's work on it. (The heartbeat rhythm at the beginning might be kind of cheesy, but I really like it anyway because it's so sincere.) The end is really strong, though I always find myself car-singing "Do you believe what I sing now" over it. 

The problem with Heart Songs is that the lyrics have an ambling, discursive quality that makes the song feel structureless and cheap. (I've also noticed this on parts of Make Believe and, most recently, in Brave New World.) I'm not normally a huge lyrics guy, but when they just kind of ramble on and on from point to point they begin to suggest a similar problem in the song itself. 

Your best work—not just Blue and Pink, but songs like Miss Sweeney and Run Over By A Truck—has a really strong lyrical voice that gives shape to the songs themselves. There's such a catharsis leading into the second chorus of In The Garage not just because the guitars are about to come back in but because the lyrics themselves harness that emotional buildup: 

I've got an electric guitar
I play my stupid songs
I write these stupid words
and I love every one

Those aren't complex, aside from the cool enjambment in the next line, but they're concise, they're moving toward one distinctly Weezer-y point, and you can feel the music about to match them beneath the singing. I understand what Heart Songs is trying to do—it's a similar thing, I think—but it doesn't have the same striking, unique rhetoric behind its words, so they just kind of float around. 

I understand how people like to request Weezer-y type song but there is a thing called progress and change so Weezer-y can be anything.  One thing that was brought up that I think carries a lot of weight is the fact the some of the references you make alienate your whole audience by being very era specific.

Like Eddie Rabbit and Gordon Lightfoot.  While relevant to you, I am sure some of the 15 year old audience would most likely ask who the hell is Gordon Lightfoot and then when looking him up say to them selves...lame-ass.  Even if for you if means something.

Hi RIvers,

I loved "Heart songs" since my first listen... it's a very enjoyable song, good music and good lyrics.

If there's a song that I personally don't like at all in the Red album is "Everybody get dangerous"...

Boy do I disagree with you...

Why be a musician if you can't write about whats important to you? I don't write songs that cater to what someone else feels, I'm writing songs that deal with me. If someone can specifically relate to what I write about then great but if not then who cares.

Do you think I ever fell in love with a lesbian? Did I ever get tired of sex?... No. However at it's core there's something you can relate to.

With Pink triangle you can take away the feeling of loss and misreading a situation.

With tired of sex you can take away that the character wanted something more meaningful out of his relationship.

The one thing that bugged me more than anything else with rivers is how he made things so universal post pinkerton. He took the soul out of the music. You can write things that relate directly to you and that music will be way more sincere than dumbing it down for the public.

Pariyatti said:

I understand how people like to request Weezer-y type song but there is a thing called progress and change so Weezer-y can be anything.  One thing that was brought up that I think carries a lot of weight is the fact the some of the references you make alienate your whole audience by being very era specific.

Like Eddie Rabbit and Gordon Lightfoot.  While relevant to you, I am sure some of the 15 year old audience would most likely ask who the hell is Gordon Lightfoot and then when looking him up say to them selves...lame-ass.  Even if for you if means something.

You are entitled to your opinion Daniel.  If you look at Blue, here is an album, unfettered, rockin', and hopeful.  You move on to Pinkerton, that innocence is jaded and expectant.  But it is change, progress, growing up and still relating to the listeners while writing about what was felt at the time. 

Heart Songs sounds contrived, almost like it was an experiment in song writing.  Taking a writing form of storytelling with references.  The beauty of music and bands are that they write music, it relates to a large audience and they become successful.  In my opinion Weezer has created its own big shoes to fill and continues to find collaborations and writing styles that encourage this growth.  But the band keeps generating new fans and is not just holding on to the old ones so the shoes are that much bigger in order to find that middle ground where it can relate to all.

I think that if you want to pigeon h*** an artist in to writing always in styles that they did previously, you do the world a disservice by taking away the potential of something brilliant.  Madonna and Prince have reinvented themselves time and again and kicked the world in the ass every time.

When a song is written say about falling in love with a Lesbian it is not telling someone to go and do it.  Pink Triangle was a lovely example of yes while the lyrics might have spoke of a male falling in love with a lesbian, the song related to hetero and homosexual people alike.  But references to Gordon Lightfoot and Eddie Rabbit could have been made without using specific names.  Describing the Nirvana album I think could have been done better.  It is like writing a paper or creating a piece of visual art.  Do you want the audience to make their own thing out of it or are you going to hand it to them on a platter so they don't have stay with it a while and internalize it

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video