Hear "Tragic Girl", "The Odd Couple", and "Autopilot"...REJOICE!!!

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love Odd Couple and Tragic Girl! Autopilot's good too.
tragic girl is epic.

jacob sakolsky said:
tragic girl is amazing :""""'D
Rivers looks at pieces of dog s*** under a microscope?
dig the lyrics and guitar of tagic girl, its clsoe to home, auto piolit has some cool synth. But odd Couple is quickly becoming one of my fav weezer tunes
Tragic Girl is great, but my hopes for Death to False Metal seem to be flying out the window.
As stated Tragic girl is probably one of rivers best written songs.

It gathers all the best qualities of weezer into one song.
I like them all. Tragic Girl is obviously awesome, epic in fact. A new classic! Autopilot is very creative, I love the electronic sound going on in the song and how it ends, the bridge is way cool. Odd Couple was pretty cool too!

I mean it, I don't see what's supposed to be so bad about either Odd Couple or Autopilot.
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this from people people who put Don't Let Go and Dope Nose in their 5 best weezer songs list, but surely these clips reveal the true creative lull post 2001 weezer are in.

Tragic Girl is AWESOME: It has brilliant lyrics (I'm going to be your latest tragedy, awesome); it has an anthemic chorus; brilliant guitar licks that come in and out of the song (not just at the designated mid song solo point) and it's structure keeps changing, keeping the song fresh. It follows the emotion and theme of the song rather than some pre set rigid formula. It sums up absolutely everything that is rightly praised about the pinkerton era, and stands up with any song written during that time.

What can I say about Odd Couple and Autopilot? Autopilot is catchy, it is a bit different, it's lyrics are kind of fun in a goofy way. That's it. In comparison to Tragic Girl, this song is absolutely NOTHING. It really is like comparing Blink 182 to the Beatles.

Odd Couple is even less interesting. It reminds me of lots of Make Believe songs that are just kind of there...reasonably inoffensive, but easily ignored and forgotten. Really don't see why it ever needed to see the light of day over what I assume are some much better songs out there.

The real significant point from all this, though, is that Tragic Girl was FORGOTTEN. Sure you could say that Autopilot and Odd Couple are cast off's, and so they show how Rivers can so easily write a lot of good songs. I would wager that FAR less time was taken in the production of the song Tragic Girl than those too songs. For this song to be forgotten, it was probably written and recorded within a very short space. This is not only something that didn't make an album, that didn't make a b-side, it's something that was probably thrown together in a few days. And it's THIS good.

We haven't had a properly unheard song from this period in a LOOONG time, and the effect on me is to have a much more critical view of the other songs. If Alone 3 comes out and contains demos that are of this type of quality, where even less time has been spent on them, I might never look at the post-2001 output the same way.
Rivers was wrong. Tragic Girl SLAYS "You Know You're Right". Great, great, great f****** song. That he abandoned this style for 2001-forward is a goddamn TRAGEDY.

Amuro said:
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this from people people who put Don't Let Go and Dope Nose in their 5 best weezer songs list, but surely these clips reveal the true creative lull post 2001 weezer are in.

Tragic Girl is AWESOME: It has brilliant lyrics (I'm going to be your latest tragedy, awesome); it has an anthemic chorus; brilliant guitar licks that come in and out of the song (not just at the designated mid song solo point) and it's structure keeps changing, keeping the song fresh. It follows the emotion and theme of the song rather than some pre set rigid formula. It sums up absolutely everything that is rightly praised about the pinkerton era, and stands up with any song written during that time.

What can I say about Odd Couple and Autopilot? Autopilot is catchy, it is a bit different, it's lyrics are kind of fun in a goofy way. That's it. In comparison to Tragic Girl, this song is absolutely NOTHING. It really is like comparing Blink 182 to the Beatles.

Odd Couple is even less interesting. It reminds me of lots of Make Believe songs that are just kind of there...reasonably inoffensive, but easily ignored and forgotten. Really don't see why it ever needed to see the light of day over what I assume are some much better songs out there.

The real significant point from all this, though, is that Tragic Girl was FORGOTTEN. Sure you could say that Autopilot and Odd Couple are cast off's, and so they show how Rivers can so easily write a lot of good songs. I would wager that FAR less time was taken in the production of the song Tragic Girl than those too songs. For this song to be forgotten, it was probably written and recorded within a very short space. This is not only something that didn't make an album, that didn't make a b-side, it's something that was probably thrown together in a few days. And it's THIS good.

We haven't had a properly unheard song from this period in a LOOONG time, and the effect on me is to have a much more critical view of the other songs. If Alone 3 comes out and contains demos that are of this type of quality, where even less time has been spent on them, I might never look at the post-2001 output the same way.

The reson it was forgotten was becuase Varz wrote it in 1997, after Pinkerton, and past that point the context of the song never fit was Rivers was feeling. i.e. Green, etc.

j-biebs said:
so auto pilot and odd couple are basically just the same song with different lyrics, right?
these are laughably bad.

Not really. Aside from having the same tempo.
Gotta admit...I'm digging Auto-Pilot and The Odd Couple much more than Tragic Girl

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video