honestly, i HATE valentine's day. it is not because i'm some loveless loser or something like that, its just because valentine's day is just a made up holiday due to corporate greed. it's the merchandise companies (HALLMARK) taking advantage of the weakpoint of humanity which is our poor comprehension of what love is. thoughts anyone?

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get your drift. But...

All holidays are made up, and this one wasn't made up due to corporate greed. Both custom and commerce are intertwined. People are going to adhere to custom and the flower shops, for example,  know that demand is high, so the prices can be increased. Yes, the card companies are going to wreck shop come Valentine's Day as well.

But remember, the candy companies love Halloween even more, and the toy stores love Christmas. Heck you're from my area- ever seen such a bastardization of Christmas as there is in Southern California?

Valentine's Day, like any other holiday, is really what you make of it.

I always try to do something sweet apart from the flower and candy bit and I think people should do the same. For some, it may be something nostalgic such as going back to a romantic place together and sharing fond memories. To others, it may be as simple as giving a loving hug to your significant other. This year, I may light a building on fire for my loved one, you know, like as a romantic metaphor. The options are plentiful. Celebrate in your own special way, methinks.

i see your point, and yesh! you are quite right about what happens here in the valley during xmas. LOL. but i still hate valentine's day. thank you for your insight

hintofcoolness said:

I get your drift. But...

All holidays are made up, and this one wasn't made up due to corporate greed. Both custom and commerce are intertwined. People are going to adhere to custom and the flower shops, for example,  know that demand is high, so the prices can be increased. Yes, the card companies are going to wreck shop come Valentine's Day as well.

But remember, the candy companies love Halloween even more, and the toy stores love Christmas. Heck you're from my area- ever seen such a bastardization of Christmas as there is in Southern California?

Valentine's Day, like any other holiday, is really what you make of it.

I always try to do something sweet apart from the flower and candy bit and I think people should do the same. For some, it may be something nostalgic such as going back to a romantic place together and sharing fond memories. To others, it may be as simple as giving a loving hug to your significant other. This year, I may light a building on fire for my loved one, you know, like as a romantic metaphor. The options are plentiful. Celebrate in your own special way, methinks.

Y'know... I'm not sure why but I hate Valentines day too. I always have. It's not because I'm "some loveless loser" as you put it and it's also not anything to do with corporate greed. I think it's just because I am not a fan of February (or January).

I'm a huge fan of June and July, sometimes August, and April as well but only the 20th. October irritates me but I am on good terms with the rest of the calendar.

So I understand about Valentine's Day, but must you condemn New Year's, my birthday, and President's Day as well? Come on now. ;)

jKlein said:

Y'know... I'm not sure why but I hate Valentines day too. I always have. It's not because I'm "some loveless loser" as you put it and it's also not anything to do with corporate greed. I think it's just because I am not a fan of February (or January).

I will not condemn your bday... and New Years day is right after Christmas so I still have a high going from that. I loved this past January because I got to see Weezer! I'm glad you're sometimes a fan of August because that's my birth month :-D

I just get depressed in the winter easily. I hate being stuck in the house. This winter has been bad. My kids have barely been to school due to numerous snow storms and a really bad ice storm. I've had serious thoughts about moving south lately, LOL

hintofcoolness said:

I'm a huge fan of June and July, sometimes August, and April as well but only the 20th. October irritates me but I am on good terms with the rest of the calendar.

So I understand about Valentine's Day, but must you condemn New Year's, my birthday, and President's Day as well? Come on now. ;)

jKlein said:

I can completely sympathize about being stuck inside all winter. I've got two little ones and some days I feel like there's no way we'll make it through winter.

That said, I'm actually a huge fan of V-Day. I don't so much like the cards/flowers/candy bit because I think it's cheesy. But hubby and I have always tried to do something special for each other. Guess I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic.

jKlein said:

I will not condemn your bday... and New Years day is right after Christmas so I still have a high going from that. I loved this past January because I got to see Weezer! I'm glad you're sometimes a fan of August because that's my birth month :-D

I just get depressed in the winter easily. I hate being stuck in the house. This winter has been bad. My kids have barely been to school due to numerous snow storms and a really bad ice storm. I've had serious thoughts about moving south lately, LOL

hintofcoolness said:

jKlein said:

Better to move to California, jklein.  You'll get to see =w= more and the weather here is pretty awesome most of year.

jKlein said:

hintofcoolness said:

jKlein said:

oh my god, earlier today i was trying to explain why i hate valentines day but she just didn't get it. i completely agree , with your reason. but it also is designed to just throw the fact that they are alone in the people who are single's faces.
Yeah, it totally sucks here in San Diego. Being lonely doesn't help much, either. Ah well, looks like I'll be having some bonding time with Pinkerton.
I don't really care because I don't celebrate it or know anybody who celebrates it. 
ditto all the way

Michael Barrios said:
Yeah, it totally sucks here in San Diego. Being lonely doesn't help much, either. Ah well, looks like I'll be having some bonding time with Pinkerton.
Exactly! Its like people who are in a relationship already have that, so the single people should be the ones getting candy!

Big tuna said:
oh my god, earlier today i was trying to explain why i hate valentines day but she just didn't get it. i completely agree , with your reason. but it also is designed to just throw the fact that they are alone in the people who are single's faces.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video