Argue about Christianity  and God..

Why do you think what you think?

Views: 914

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

and by "receive the priesthood" you of course mean "not be considered cursed."

Puppies, Jesus is from America right?

MrFrenchDog.....what about this.  between days 5 and 6 in the book of Genesis, evolution occurred.  I don't think that each "day" in Genesis is actually a day, but more like thousands/millions of years.  If that isn't the case, then how do we explain dinosaurs in context with the bible?

When "god made man", I think that was "god" putting free will/soul/critical thinking into us.  We had already evolved into the species we are today.  I believe we are inherently different from animals, but it's all in the mind

yes i'd also like to hear frenchdog's thoughts on the fossil record.
well you see, it's because God hadn't created night yet...so it was 1 really long day
I believe it is 100% true. I have felt the spirit testify it unto me. I don't think I believe that because I grew up in this religion. I'm sad to say but there were times were I was even asking that question to myself. So I prayed about it and I do feel that it is true when reading it.

Wenger said:

Do you ever think little bit sometimes that parts of Book of Mormon may not actually be the true word of God?

If so, which parts?

If not, why not?

As a christian (mormon) I believe in evolution just fine. Do people excpect the bible to contatin an explanation of a theory involving hundreds of thousands of years to people who hadn't invented toilet paper yet? You can't argue that evolution doesn't occure, there's plenty of evidence that supports that it did and none that says we just sprang out of nothingness. I think the main argument against evolution and against creationism is just ignorance of the facts. People who expect a book that's a collection of even smaller books from over 2 thousand years and done in the dark ages shouldn't expect all these fancy charts and graphs explaining creationism, jesus taught in parables and most of the bibles is written as parables. While at the same time, to people who think the bible is the direct word of god and therefor evolution can't possibly exist because the bible doesn't say it consider this; If a 5 year old asks you how a plane flies you're more likely going to say magic or some other things because you can't be bothered explaining the complexities of the mechanical engine to a 5 year old....the jews hadn't even figured out regular bathing so i think god is jsutified in simplfying things to them lol.
Granted I'm iffy on the bible as a whole (it was created by a bunch of roman dudes for political purposes more than anything else). Point is, why can't there be a god who uses what we call "science" to make the universe work? Science and religion can get along just fine lol.

I didn't use the right words there gonna be honest ha, i meant like there's loads of species of dogs that have evolved from other dogs for example.

But i don't think you can get from fish -> human for example.

Luigi-sp26 said:

what do you mean, "evolve within our species but not into other species"?  after evolving "within our species" enough, wouldn't our genetic code have changed enough to consider us a separate species?  this would just take hundreds of thousands to millions of years.  and im willing to bet that you dont really know what Mr. Darwin (and lets not forget Mr. Wallace) really wrote about.  you don't believe in evolution in the way Mr. Darwin wrote about....you believe in your own little "theory" that came straight from your imagination and is based on zero evidence.  much like the way the "theory" of creationism was born.

**fun fact: the word "evolution" did not appear in Darwin's first edition of "The Origin of Species".

MrFrenchDog said:

I do not believe in evolution the way that Mr Darwin wrote about, i think that men have always been men. I think that we can evolve within our species but not into other species.

Yeah I've heard that theory before actually, but i again am taking the literal route and thinking that the days in Genesis were literal days. Though yeah i am open to changing my mind on that and almost have a lot of times.

As for dinosaurs i don't know where people get the idea that the bible says they aren't real... They were here, i know that.

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

Puppies, Jesus is from America right?

MrFrenchDog.....what about this.  between days 5 and 6 in the book of Genesis, evolution occurred.  I don't think that each "day" in Genesis is actually a day, but more like thousands/millions of years.  If that isn't the case, then how do we explain dinosaurs in context with the bible?

When "god made man", I think that was "god" putting free will/soul/critical thinking into us.  We had already evolved into the species we are today.  I believe we are inherently different from animals, but it's all in the mind

Is that what Mormons believe, (don't know much about them) that the bible was created more for political purposes?

America said:
As a christian (mormon) I believe in evolution just fine. Do people excpect the bible to contatin an explanation of a theory involving hundreds of thousands of years to people who hadn't invented toilet paper yet? You can't argue that evolution doesn't occure, there's plenty of evidence that supports that it did and none that says we just sprang out of nothingness. I think the main argument against evolution and against creationism is just ignorance of the facts. People who expect a book that's a collection of even smaller books from over 2 thousand years and done in the dark ages shouldn't expect all these fancy charts and graphs explaining creationism, jesus taught in parables and most of the bibles is written as parables. While at the same time, to people who think the bible is the direct word of god and therefor evolution can't possibly exist because the bible doesn't say it consider this; If a 5 year old asks you how a plane flies you're more likely going to say magic or some other things because you can't be bothered explaining the complexities of the mechanical engine to a 5 year old....the jews hadn't even figured out regular bathing so i think god is jsutified in simplfying things to them lol.
Granted I'm iffy on the bible as a whole (it was created by a bunch of roman dudes for political purposes more than anything else). Point is, why can't there be a god who uses what we call "science" to make the universe work? Science and religion can get along just fine lol.

yeah...that's not evolution.  that is breeding between different types of dogs creating other breeds.  however, they are still all the same species (Canis lupus).  a yorkie and great dane are the same species.....just like Anderson Cooper and Eddie Murphy are the same species. 

MrFrenchDog said:

I didn't use the right words there gonna be honest ha, i meant like there's loads of species of dogs that have evolved from other dogs for example.

But i don't think you can get from fish -> human for example.

Luigi-sp26 said:

what do you mean, "evolve within our species but not into other species"?  after evolving "within our species" enough, wouldn't our genetic code have changed enough to consider us a separate species?  this would just take hundreds of thousands to millions of years.  and im willing to bet that you dont really know what Mr. Darwin (and lets not forget Mr. Wallace) really wrote about.  you don't believe in evolution in the way Mr. Darwin wrote about....you believe in your own little "theory" that came straight from your imagination and is based on zero evidence.  much like the way the "theory" of creationism was born.

**fun fact: the word "evolution" did not appear in Darwin's first edition of "The Origin of Species".

MrFrenchDog said:

I do not believe in evolution the way that Mr Darwin wrote about, i think that men have always been men. I think that we can evolve within our species but not into other species.

America said:
Oh no that's jsut my own understanding/opinion of it. We have the bible as one of our holy books

MrFrenchDog said:
Is that what Mormons believe, (don't know much about them) that the bible was created more for political purposes?

America said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video