Getting my first proper acoustic tommorow. Need resources, tips and other general pointers!

Hi everybody!

I ordered my first acoustic the other day (It's technically second but my first was a crummy classical guitar) and I need advice.

In regards to previous experience I have been playing bass for about six months now and I occasionally play around with the aforementioned crappy acoustic. The closest to anything I have ever played was an acoustic rendition of "Lover in the Snow". The sound was awful and I can't switch yet but you could get the general jist.

I basically need some advice and some stories maybe? How long did it take you all to get decent at the guitar and what was the first weezer song you were able to play?

If I could also have some pointers to some weezer songs that translate well to acoustic I would be very grateful. Any other educational resources in regards to playing the guitar would also benefit me. Thank's guys!

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you stick to it, you should be able to get decent in a few months. The first weezer song that I learned to play was probably island in the sun or why bother. Island in the sun, say it ain't so, pink triangle, unspoken, hold me, pig, and of course, butterfly are great acoustic songs. 
hey shitbag farkas, this thread is in the wrong forum.
Well the thread is both about playing the guitar and weezer song that he could play on guitar. This is one of those threads that don't fit into any forum. I will leave it here as to prevent ATNW from having a discussion where weezer is one half of the focus. If he asked for songs from any band, it would definitely belong in ATNW. 

I thought it fit well here. Just to clarify im not just looking for Weezer. Maybe River's Cuomos alone material.

Also kitten$ beiber you don't have to be a d*** everyday...

Farkas said:

Well the thread is both about playing the guitar and weezer song that he could play on guitar. This is one of those threads that don't fit into any forum. I will leave it here as to prevent ATNW from having a discussion where weezer is one half of the focus. If he asked for songs from any band, it would definitely belong in ATNW. 
Ehh, weezer rivers cuomo, same thing. 

Daniel Butler said:

I thought it fit well here. Just to clarify im not just looking for Weezer. Maybe River's Cuomos alone material.

Also kitten$ beiber you don't have to be a d*** everyday...

Farkas said:

except that this is allegedly a forum for in-depth discussion of weezer's music, not general guitar tips and song suggestions. we've had multiple threads in ATW on the subject of weezer songs that are easy enough for people just learning to play the guitar. if daniel butler here is looking for weezer AND "river's cuomos [sic] alone material", then this belongs in ATW.

and seriously, river's cuomos alone? put down the guitar and pick up a book on basic grammar skills.

It's an internet thread. If you want to play the grammar nazi role may I point you to this...

"if daniel butler here"

Names begin with capital letters. Stop trying to be an admin/mod.

kitten$ bieber ♥ said:

except that this is allegedly a forum for in-depth discussion of weezer's music, not general guitar tips and song suggestions. we've had multiple threads in ATW on the subject of weezer songs that are easy enough for people just learning to play the guitar. if daniel butler here is looking for weezer AND "river's cuomos [sic] alone material", then this belongs in ATW.

and seriously, river's cuomos alone? put down the guitar and pick up a book on basic grammar skills.

see, you think you have a point here, but you don't.

my decision not to capitalize letters does not interfere with your ability to read and understand my posts. in the case that capital letters are necessary to differentiate between a proper noun and a word (LA and la, for example), then i will use them to avoid any confusion. i am making a conscious decision not to capitalize my letters, i am not making a mistake. you, on the other hand, are making a mistake, due to your tenuous grasp on apostrophe usage. your phrase "river's cuomos alone" is incoherent. what is "cuomos alone" and to which river does it belong?

using the internet doesn't inhibit one's ability to use correct grammar.  don't make excuses for your stupidity.

and if farkas could do his job, i wouldn't need to correct him.

i moved this thread into atw after farkas' first post. i guess someone moved it back.

either way - OP, you might get more/better responses if you post in atw. there's more traffic there. this forum has been pretty much redundant for a long time now.

Farkas said:
If you stick to it, you should be able to get decent in a few months. The first weezer song that I learned to play was probably island in the sun or why bother. Island in the sun, say it ain't so, pink triangle, unspoken, hold me, pig, and of course, butterfly are great acoustic songs. 
It wasn't me. 

revolver ocelot ◕‿◕ [berry] said:
i moved this thread into atw after farkas' first post. i guess someone moved it back. either way - OP, you might get more/better responses if you post in atw. there's more traffic there. this forum has been pretty much redundant for a long time now.

Farkas said:

Daniel, I recommend learning Undone.  Nothing really beats this song for sing-a-longs with your friends.  Most people know the song, and it's only 6 different chords, the entire song.  This was the first song I ever learned to play.

It will take you a while to get comfortable, but it's all in how much you play.  Getting muscle memory for chords takes the longest time, and you have to learn muscle memory to transition from every chord, to every other chord, G to C, G to E, G to A, etc....and then even after you feel you have established talent, every time you play a chord you've never played before, you will have to learn new muscle memory.

Good luck, and don't give up.  After 3-4 months, you should be able to complete a full song

Thank you for the encouragement :)

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

Daniel, I recommend learning Undone.  Nothing really beats this song for sing-a-longs with your friends.  Most people know the song, and it's only 6 different chords, the entire song.  This was the first song I ever learned to play.

It will take you a while to get comfortable, but it's all in how much you play.  Getting muscle memory for chords takes the longest time, and you have to learn muscle memory to transition from every chord, to every other chord, G to C, G to E, G to A, etc....and then even after you feel you have established talent, every time you play a chord you've never played before, you will have to learn new muscle memory.

Good luck, and don't give up.  After 3-4 months, you should be able to complete a full song

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video